Page 1 of 2
LastLast

how will professions work in BfA?

hi - apologies is this thread should be in BfA subforum.

I haven't really been up to date with BfA announcements/changes over legion but I am interested if we know how professions will work in next expansion?
    I really dislike how Legion approached the professions, recipe leveling and alts. Up to Legion I pretty much used my army of alts as a gold generating profession crafters without playing much besides leveling them to max level. In legion with ranks and BoP materials that wasn't viable (to an extent)

So I am wondering if BfA will work the same way or not? Additionally am I in the minority that disliked Legion profession handling or do you like the change in approach?

cheers.

Deleted
    Looks similar to Legion. Ranks are staying.

Main change is skill change and splitting recipes into their own expansions. Such as Classic recipes, BC recipes, etc. Each has its own skill level, maximum is 100. Its basically same as cooking during MoP.

so I assume the market will still be dictated by rank#3 procs and reduced crafting costs (less materials) and I will have to actually gear up play harder content with my alts (assuming rank#3 unlocks will be still in raids/mythic/behind exalted rep), right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hlx View Post
    so I assume the market will still be dictated by rank#3 procs and reduced crafting costs (less materials) and I will have to actually gear up play harder content with my alts (assuming rank#3 unlocks will be still in raids/mythic/behind exalted rep), right?
    Yep, same as in Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    Yep, same as in Legion.
    well, crap

BfA is just a copy paste of Legion. So don't expect any changes.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I wasn't a big fan of having to visit (queue for) specific dungeons and sometimes do out of the way optional bosses for the quests. Can't say not having a rank three recipe affected me badly.

But all in all I didn't feel I made that much money from professions at the end of the day. Often a raw gem would even be more expensive than a cut. God knows why. Crafted armour was so quickly obsolete, I barely bothered. Good ole Hexweave bags on 3 tailors kept selling best...

But maybe I was doing it wrong. So..yeah..in the end, if crafting is overall like Legion..."well crap"
    I was selling crafted gear for over 20k even at NH so it depends on the market, and uncut gems are used for rings and necks, so ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    BfA is just a copy paste of Legion. So don't expect any changes.
    It's so very much NOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    It's so very much NOT.
    in terms of professions - are there any changes you feel are significant?

I'm glad the profession levels are finally (sort of) getting squished. It always felt like such an enormous task on an alt to start a profession. With it broken up it'll provide more substance to each category of recipes you are learning.

Quote Originally Posted by hlx View Post
    in terms of professions - are there any changes you feel are significant?
    The biggest change (for now) is that there isn't questing involved in unlocking the rank 1 recipes. There are 150 skill points to max Zandalari Professions and recipes are unlocked as you level them. Ranks 2 and 3 will probably be the same as Legion (WQ, raid bosses, exalted reps and such).

Im a fan of the ranking systems but professions feel more obsolete these days even with an entire fresh new expansion I'm not entirely sure they will serve much purpose...bring back the JC only gems or the BS only buffs i say!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyron View Post
    The biggest change (for now) is that there isn't questing involved in unlocking the rank 1 recipes. There are 150 skill points to max Zandalari Professions and recipes are unlocked as you level them. Ranks 2 and 3 will probably be the same as Legion (WQ, raid bosses, exalted reps and such).
    Are there going to be different profession ranks for different reputations or is Zandalari just the name of the Horde BFA side of things?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Breaking up each set of recipes into their own skill level. 0-100 (Vanilla) 0-100 (BC) 0-100 (Wrath) etcetc.
    In addition to this, we won't have as many profession quest lines. Blizzard said they were happy with a little bit of profession questing, but felt like it was way too much in Legion.
    They're happy with the ranking system, but want to make getting recipes a little less RNG reliant.

Das what they said at blizzcon at least.

With the removal of artifact weapons I assume that we will see some new weapons on professions like Blacksmithing. I hope that they will give us new craftable weapons that we can upgrade like craftable gear in Legion as I find these extremely useful for off-specs (dual wield vs 2h weapons) and alts.

Other than that, it would be even better if we could get craftable gear up to raid level by obtaining rare materials found in raids/raid bosses (So if for example you raid on heroic, then you can upgrade your crafted gear with these rare raid materials to heroic level). I really liked going through raids not only for loot, but for rare crafting materials back in TBC so I could craft Stormherald/Lionheart as it gave crafting some solid meaning other than being there for the sake of having pre-raid / alt gear that is replaced easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know about ranks, but the thing that worries me the most is having to deal again with every boring quest chain for every profession. They were so damn annoying, and being a completionist (I wanted all professions at max level, not necessarily make gold out of them), I slogged through them all.
    Herbalism was the easiest. Alchemy was the most annoying. Mining was flat out stupid. The worst of all was that they sent you to dungeons over and over.

I remember the alchemy one that took you into Vault of the Wardens to pass through that door, asking the group if we could do it, popping the potion and they all just continuing on with the dungeon instead of helping me out... so much fun lol

Rank 3 is terrible design, if they we're most open about how they drop etc. I, as a avid LW collector (Yes I have all recipes in-game but IIRC 1 from vanilla, few from TBC that was removed due to stupid design), and I still dont have all rank3 from LW despite plenty of runs through the 5 mans for em...Ill just wait for next exp or w/e and stealth runs.

Also some of the proff quest chains sucked ass in legion.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Yes, the level 3 ranks are there, but as of now, they're much easier to get.

On mining, I had rank 3 on almost everything right after hitting 120. On engineering, most of the rank 2s are from the trainer, and the 3s are reasonable (revered or wq).

I'm going to make an alchemist now to see what the proc rate is on those, as that's the one people complained about most.

Of course, they could very easily change the proc rate before live. But from what I've seen so far, if it goes live like this, we won't have to worry.

- - - Updated - - -

Following up - Herb/Alch is ridiculously easy to level. As a fresh 110 arriving on the island, I got herbalism to 150 (and all level 2s) and alchemy to 100 (and all level 2s except cauldron) in one hour played. (Also reaching 111 just from nodes.)

In addition, I'm about to get an iLvl 300 stone - before level 112.

Yes, the level 3 pots are behind revered reps, but this is going so ridiculously fast that I don't see anyone complaining.

At least, the way it is today...

Does the previous skill level matter in new expansion? Any benefits to keep old profession? I am currently max at alch/jewelry but thinking to drop to get herb/mining in the beginning of BFA then when I hit 120, i would switch back again. Is it worth to do so?