Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyalona View Post
    I didn't say they are a waste of time. Stop strawmanning me.
    You've claimed that there are more productive uses of one's time than enjoying entertainment, and that adults should do them instead, ergo adults that aren't using their time to be productive are wasting it.

If they aren't a waste of time, then there *is* some use to it.

Deleted
    Perhaps quit posting on forums too? That'll save you even more time.

Absorbing entertainment is just not productive.
    It's not meant to be productive, that's the whole point of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by timberx View Post
    You've claimed that there are more productive uses of one's time than enjoying entertainment, and that adults should do them instead, ergo adults that aren't using their time to be productive are wasting it.

If they aren't a waste of time, then there *is* some use to it.
    It's not that there are more productive things to do, it's that enjoying entertainment is just 0% productive. By the definition of the word. You are not producing anything. So if you think that saying there is nothing productive about enjoying entertainment is equal to saying it is a waste of time, then that only proves that you think doing something productive is a good thing, and not doing anything productive is a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    It's not meant to be productive, that's the whole point of it.
    I agree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Perhaps quit posting on forums too? That'll save you even more time.
    I can help other people.

- - - Updated - - -

Something to think about

Good for you. You quit video games so you can spend that free time making such productive posts in MMO-C. Moving up in the world!
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Deleted
    This was hilarious for a moment but then it turned sad.

It's not that there are more productive things to do, it's that enjoying entertainment is just 0% productive. By the definition of the word. You are not producing anything. So if you think that saying there is nothing productive about enjoying entertainment is equal to saying it is a waste of time, then that only proves that you think doing something productive is a good thing, and not doing anything productive is a waste of time.
    Newsflash, humans need to relieve stress from time to time. For example, you said you like to have sex. Having sex without the intent to procreate does nothing productive. Better put an end to that before you're ready to have a child.

My whole point is, it can be commendable to quit video games and decide to spend that time on something you deem more important. However, your reasoning that it is because adults shouldn't spend any of their time on entertainment is frankly quite condescending and void of any humanity.

Try not wasting anyone's time and stay off the video game forums as well. You quit? Swell. Not a souls cares but you.

Deleted
    Newsflash, humans need to relieve stress from time to time.
    Of course.

I usually jack off.

Of course.

I usually jack off.
    Better stop that, you could be doing something more productive with those 5 minutes.

Deleted
    For example, you said you like to have sex. Having sex without the intent to procreate does nothing productive.
    That's not true. You build up intimacy to another person.

That's not true. You build up intimacy to another person.
    You could be doing something more productive instead of that, though. Humans should stop wasting time on flirting and dating and only have sex when they need to create more offspring.

Deleted
    Better stop that, you could be doing something more productive with those 5 minutes.
    I don't need 5 minutes, lol.

Do you only play video games for 5 minutes? If that was the case, there'd be nothing bad about it. Reality is people play videogames for hours every day. How many people masturbate for 18 hours straight to the point where they are neglecting their real life and have to poop into a sock? Think about your examples first.

I don't need 5 minutes, lol.

Do you only play video games for 5 minutes? If that was the case, there'd be nothing bad about it. Reality is people play videogames for hours every day. How many people masturbate for 18 hours straight to the point where they are neglecting their real life and have to poop into a sock? Think about your examples first.
    If someone is playing video games for 18 hours straight, they have a problem that is beyond simply needing to do something more productive.

Deleted
    You could be doing something more productive instead of that
    Something more productive than improving on your relationship with another person? You really have to think about the things you're posting first.

Something more productive than improving on your relationship with another person? You really have to think about the things you're posting first.
    I'm just going along with your ideals.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've just quit video games for good. It wasn't an easy decision, because I truly love them. But they've just taken up way too much time in my life, to the point where even when I spent an hour or two in the evening playing, I feel like I should be doing something better. And there's always the temptation to just stay home and spend a whole day playing my favourite game at the time, and I give in way too often.

Any other people who feel the same way?
    Lol sure you have.
    You’ll be back in a few days.

Deleted
    If someone is playing video games for 18 hours straight, they have a problem that is beyond simply needing to do something more productive.
    Reality for a lot of people. Don't tell me you've never spend the whole day playing video games.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just going along with your ideals.
    What are you talking about?

I think one case for video games now is that it is a good way to socialize with people who you know in real life. For example, I keep in contact with a friend who lives very far from me through playing Dota. Video games are the only activity or medium I know of that lets you do that.

Like Jordan Peterson says in that video, not all video games are created equally. The complexity of the game and the carry over of the skills in it are also important. That said, I would argue the games that most people play have little to no carry over into other activities.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nattwenny View Post
    Try not wasting anyone's time and stay off the video game forums as well. You quit? Swell. Not a souls cares but you.
    But you registered an account just to say that? :3