Page 1 of 3
LastLast

With vanilla returning....

Do you think it would be possible although I know unlikely to see a "alternate" history of warcraft being released? One were the time line and game systems would differ from the current live version of the game?

For example lets say instead of Northrend most of the expansion would instead take place in underneath it dealing with the Azjol-Nerub empire or perhaps the scarlet crusade.

Don't get me wrong I still enjoy current wow but I would really like to see a second product be offered that would be in essence Vanilla/TBC era mechanics but in new setting and themes.

What do you think good idea? Bad idea?

15+ Year Old Account
    It is interesting. One can almost imagine a scenario where BfA is the final version of WoW as we know it and WoW Classic will spinoff new expansions of its own.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

That would be horrible imo. Splitting your playerbase in an already (slowly) declining game...

Quote Originally Posted by Nutrition View Post
    Do you think it would be possible although I know unlikely to see a "alternate" history of warcraft being released? One were the time line and game systems would differ from the current live version of the game?

For example lets say instead of Northrend most of the expansion would instead take place in underneath it dealing with the Azjol-Nerub empire or perhaps the scarlet crusade.

Don't get me wrong I still enjoy current wow but I would really like to see a second product be offered that would be in essence Vanilla/TBC era mechanics but in new setting and themes.

No. Aside from the level of work and development that would take with the likely smaller profit yield, rehash for rehash sake is unlikely. While it might have been nice to see more game time and content dedication to the Nerubians or Scarlets, that time has passed and unless used in future expansions for something, should be left alone.

Perhaps there will be another Cavern of Time dungeon/raid in future, who knows.

Bad idea as its own development though.

hell to the fuck no. hopefully classic fails miserably after the initial jump and it goes away. People asking for that old experience are in pure nostalgia mode. the game was utterly broken back then with many classes being next to useless. The absolute only thing that was better was maybe the forced social interaction. Easy way to fix in live as well, make a mass server using sharding tech. No more need for separate servers in each region. Everything will be filled with people and people will naturally interact more. If you want to take it a step further, get rid of LFD and instead only use LFG. Leave LFR just for the quick runs, or take it out completely doesn't make much difference

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    It'd be incredibly dumb on Blizzard's part. They should 'progress' by moving to other expansions like TBC. They shouldn't try and create two expansions for the same goddamn MMO, you'll just end up with two terrible products that please nobody.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know the feeling of your idea but I believe the answer would be no.

Why would a company with a large franchise make a copy of its source to sprout the same franchise but in a different direction? They might as well reboot the whole franchise with the mythical WoW2.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    we already had an alternate timeline and people loooooved it
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Deleted

It is interesting idea, but... there would be player base who asks for vanilla, player base who wants current type content, players who ask any other expansion and so on.. there would be like 3-4 different games with different player bases with 3 of which would want same content they are getting now... how can blizz develop all of it? they can't. there won't be enough players to pay for it... each player has his own perfect game with different mixture of features.. it is hell for blizzard to cater for us all "i want tmog but no lfr" "i want lfr, but no tmog and no flying" "i want flying but old talents and hard leveling" and so on...

7+ Year Old Account
    Nah...

Most of the Current players are happy to continue forward.

Most of the Classic players are happy to be time capsuled.
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

I don't see them bringing vanilla to a whole new direction. But I guess they could consider trying to add what they originally intended to include into the game, like with Emerald Dream and Dragon Isles for Classic and Azjol-Nerub for WotLK.

There are things that were considered for Vanilla but later moved in to expansions. Outland could have been a zone for lvl 60s, as could Hyjal and the Emerald Nightmare, and nothing was made of Deadwind Pass. Plus there are some instance portals dotted around that were never used, 2 in Stormwind and one in Stratholme. It could be interesting to see additions to Vanilla that don't change any of the existing content or adjust game mechanics.

5+ Year Old Account
    It cannot be dismissed. Blizz has a knack for the alternate realities thing, with both WoD and the Warcraft film. Although both endeavours weren't exactly what I'd call successful...

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    It cannot be dismissed. Blizz has a knack for the alternate realities thing, with both WoD and the Warcraft film. Although both endeavours weren't exactly what I'd call successful...
    I would want mechanics no more advanced then perhaps heroic dungeons from tbc. Its the rule set I enjoy lore... honestly I checked out mostly after wrath and I don't think I missed much.

I'm hoping to get a version of WoW that is almost identical to the current game...with one exception. Everything will be placed six inches to the left. I'd call it "WoW: 6 Inches to the Left". Any chance of this happening?

I am reminded of the Vanilla Rogue quest: "Mission: Possible but not Probable".
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    Patience and reason do appear to be in short supply these days in the gaming community.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneru View Post
    I am reminded of the Vanilla Rogue quest: "Mission: Possible but not Probable".
    Pretty much. I liked the concept of classic runescape doing it so who knows maybe one day.

7+ Year Old Account

people who want to play vanilla want to play vanilla, they do not suddenly want to have the game changed all over again by adding in new patches and expansions.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    people who want to play vanilla want to play vanilla, they do not suddenly want to have the game changed all over again by adding in new patches and expansions.
    Alright...but what is your point?

I don't think this would entice those who want to play vanilla. I would just like wows old systems to be given new content. I'm simply thinking of a idea that appeals to me not some vague chunk of people.

If bfa announced systems and a progression system like tbc presunwell I would smile like a cat that got into the cream.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    we already had an alternate timeline and people loooooved it
    I laughed and cried at the same time :')