Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

how do u feel about beauty standards?

do u think they are good? bad? sometimes i think its a bit too much...

In terms of staying thin and fit as a beauty standard... It's a good goal to strive towards. Even if you don't end up looking exactly like the knockout you envisioned, there's points for coming half way. Usually it involves people working out and eating healthy which have their positives other than looking more attractive.

I think they vary, depending on where you are, so you would have to be a bit more specific, if you want to know wether they are helpful or not.

Beauty standards in western (?) modeling are bad.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

15+ Year Old Account
    I consider them arbitrary so I make my own so I bought this hat for work http://www.sihotgoods.top/love-live-...t-p-15681.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    I have some that reflect my personal tastes. How do you feel about preferences for certain types of food, music, or furniture?

Odd/silly/ugly/ect.

Generally speaking that is.

Personally I prefer people that look normal.

It's important to have standards and preferences. It's also important we don't all share the same one and instead develop our own.

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    I think they vary, depending on where you are, so you would have to be a bit more specific, if you want to know wether they are helpful or not.

Beauty standards in western (?) modeling are bad.

Historically what is considered attractive is associated with what is unavailable to the poor. When most people are trim, having some extra becomes more prized. When most people have a bit extra, being thin becomes more prized. Now in most cases, the far extremes of these conditions such as morbid obesity or emaciation are never widely considered attractive but where we land between the two is as subject to the laws of scarcity as why we pay more for any other unnecessairily expensive thing.

I mean, everyone has their own personal standards, which is fine and all. But cultural standards are a little extreme sometimes, in my opinion. Like in Japan, I remember reading that 130 pounds is considered 'fat' there. Which is just insane.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is no good or bad about it. It's just a natural part of life. Some people aren't attractive, some people are, there exists some outliers where people find things most people don't attractive but that doesn't change the majority of opinions on beauty.

I'm glad I was born a man child.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I think they change over time and are therefore largely irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    I think that you should worry less about what others think about you. Get off of facebook/forums and ...etc

You'll be happier.

7+ Year Old Account
    "Beauty standards" are largely a marketing scheme. Individuals have their own standards that aren't for anyone else to approve or disapprove of.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    "Beauty standards" are largely a marketing scheme. Individuals have their own standards that aren't for anyone else to approve or disapprove of.
    Pretty much this. Beauty standards is such a subjective thing it's practically impossible question to answer.

Shrug. I don't really care about societal standards for much anymore, as society is pretty fucked up. I think a lot of human motivation behind things like beauty standards, wealth, etc is so that certain segments of the population can feel better about themselves because they have low self-esteem and want to feel like special snowflakes. That is why the standard is always changing.

Stood in the Fire The5thVegetable's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I do not give a fuck. All I care about is what I find attractive personally.
    Why do I even bother to post on this damned site?

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    Beauty standards are fine. They've been fine for thousands of years. It was only until recently when ugly people who shouldn't have a voice decided to open their ugly traps that it became an issue.
    *Looks at Barrages' profile picture*
    *thinking*

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they are fucking ridiculous especially for women and young girls. To be programmed your worth is tied to how you look is fucked up. Encourage good eating habits and healthy lifestyle otherwise leave people the fuck alone.

I personally would be ok if it were legal to kill people who have their opinion on how other’s look without being asked.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

If you're ugly as fuck, being insecure insn't going to make you less ugly. Just own it and be ugly.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."