Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Its called resisting. We have a cultural opinion right now thats its ok to fight back against police, to resist yell and scream and try and escape if YOU think you didnt do anything wrong.
    yeah with British police i'll argue my point after, resisting is not going to make them stop trying to arrest me.

American? nah i'm dropping to the floor asap don't need some trigger happy moron deciding i'm hiding a large arsenal in my back pocket really not worth resisting against people who have guns and aren't afraid to use them.

As in all cases such as these, I need more information.
    Oh... and if only he had complied too.
    Reminds me of the ‘Compliance’ parody song.

Cheers

The snippet OP quoted doesn't mention race, as if we don't already know. We're becoming desensitized to victims if they're black..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    unarmed 17-year-old who ran when police stopped a vehicle that was suspected to be involved in an earlier shooting, authorities said.

Two semiautomatic firearms were recovered from the floor of the vehicle
    Now why was he running again?

Quote Originally Posted by boyzma View Post
    I've seen the video and the cop needs to be criminally charged. Don't care what the guy did that ran, you don't shoot someone in the BACK 3 times. To top it off there was a canine dog right there...all they had to do was let the dog go and the guy wouldn't haven't stood a chance.
    I didn't know about the dog... dogs run faster than people generally with german shepherds getting up to 30mph.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Now why was he running again?
    Why does that matter, hint, it doesn't.

I didn't know about the dog... dogs run faster than people generally with german shepherds getting up to 30mph.

- - - Updated - - -

Why does that matter, hint, it doesn't.
    if you watched him murder 40 people in the street does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    if you watched him murder 40 people in the street does it matter?
    That wasn't the case though was it? Did you read the OP? A person is a threat if they have a weapon and it seems as though they are going to hurt someone or take a hostage or what have you. None of that was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo101 View Post
    If you care about living in a free and fair society you should care.

Police are not judge, jury and executioner.

These people were not criminals, you are only a criminal when you are convicted of a crime as part of a fair trial (by your peers).
    personally, i care about staying alive in a free and fair society, for people that aren't doing drive-by-shootings

That wasn't the case though was it? Did you read the OP? A person is a threat if they have a weapon and it seems as though they are going to hurt someone or take a hostage or what have you. None of that was the case.
    he was a threat and the officer did a great job.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Would have to know more details. While on the surface, it appears the cop acted outside of his duty, he also may have suspected the suspect running away was armed, since they were suspected of a earlier shooting. One should never run from a cop. That only escalates the chances of something bad happening.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    personally, i care about staying alive in a free and fair society, for people that aren't doing drive-by-shootings
    Except you can't prove they were doing anything wrong can you?

A society is free and fair or it isn't. It cannot be free for you and not for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Priest Bojangles View Post
    A sentence would have kickstarted his career as some thug degenerate. By putting him down we skipped a lot of the steps involved.
    The word you are looking for is no.

10+ Year Old Account
    The car had its window blown out by gunfire and one or more individuals within that car had, within the previous 13 minutes, shot someone. The police had every reason to suspect the people in the car were armed and dangerous. Noncompliance in that situation of any kind could absolutely be seen as a grave threat.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Would have to know more details. While on the surface, it appears the cop acted outside of his duty, he also may have suspected the suspect running away was armed, since they were suspected of a earlier shooting. One should never run from a cop. That only escalates the chances of something bad happening.
    That's two very big suspicions, big enough that to me at least, killing a guy who is running away doesn't seem reasonable at all.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    isn't running from a police officer a crime? or can we all just go oh police lol if you want to arrest me come get me!

obviously doesn't warrant shooting him but he probably wasn't innocent either.
    A misdemeanor which probably wouldn't even land most people any jail time. Let alone a death sentence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    The car had its window blown out by gunfire and one or more individuals within that car had, within the previous 13 minutes, shot someone. The police had every reason to suspect the people in the car were armed and dangerous. Noncompliance in that situation of any kind could absolutely be seen as a grave threat.
    Just having a gun is a grave danger? Why do people who open carry not end up shot then?

Theu suspected, they didn't know.

He should have ran faster

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's two very big suspicions, big enough that to me at least, killing a guy who is running away doesn't seem reasonable at all.
    It would be if the cop had reasonable concerns the individual was armed and if that is true ( he was not when shot, however, firearms where found on the floor of the car ) they would be a threat to the public. It will be up to the investigating team to decide if it was a reasonable concern. I am not saying it would be.

The main lesson to learn however, no matter what the results are from the investigation, is not to run from the police.

- - - Updated - - -

Just having a gun is a grave danger? Why do people who open carry not end up shot then?

If they are a suspected criminal? It changes the scenario a lot. The presence of a firearm in the hands of a suspect of a crime, raises the level of threat from that individual significantly.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2018-06-22 at 01:29 AM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, hence why they pulled the car over and gave them orders to get out and get on the ground rather than just rolling in guns blazing.

And instead of complying the kid took off. The police aren't omniscient. They don't know he unarmed. They don't know if he is running to get away, running to grab a hostage, or running to cover to open fire on them, etc... All they know is the car matched the description of a car involved in a shooting 13 minutes prior. They had a pretty good reason to suspect that car was the car in question since, you know, the window was blown out by gun fire... And shootings require guns, so they had every reason to suspect the people in the car were armed.

The police gave them every opportunity to cooperate, every opportunity to surrender peacefully. The kid decided he was going to run. And the officer reasonably (in my opinion) saw that as a threat given the previously mentioned circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Running from police is a crime, yes, but Rule of Law is all about being convicted THEN punished. Even if there is no doubt that the person would be convicted, you shouldn't skip that step and go straight to executing someone.
    But rule of law also says that letting a possibly armed violent person escape to hurt someone else is bad. So is killing them, but it's less bad than them getting away. Which is more bad than them being shot but living but less bad than them getting away.

Bad Suspect flees, and hurts or kills someone else
    ___
    ___ Suspect flees, is shot and dies
    ___
    ___ Suspect flees, is shot but survives and is arrested
    ___
    Good Suspect surrenders and is arrested

So it's kinda like that from bad to good.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Oh wow, I hope it wasn’t in my town.