Will Dark Iron Dwarves Increase Dwarf Roleplay?

Dwarves are one of my favorite races and it's a shame that they're not widely played and even less roleplayed. So with dark iron dwarves set to become playable next expansion, I'm really curious if there will be a substantial increase in the amount of dwarf roleplay. It would be nice to see more dwarves on my server, where the roleplay is more or less dominated by humans, nelves, velves, draenei and pandaren. What do you think? Are you going to roll a DID character?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, you already have people RP'ing Dark Iron Dwarves but it might make it more interesting for a more 'grumpy' playerbase. Hehe. My own dwarves are Bronzebeard and Wildhammer.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    With most 'new' races there's an initial surge of RP but generally speaking the dwarf community has always (pardon the pun) been small compared to the others. It isn't exactly dead per say but compared to the other Alliance races (even gnomes) it's virtually non-existent. I'll likely make one as an alt, I don't doubt while they're the flavour of the month that some guilds will crop up but after enough time they usually fizzle out and as per with dwarf guilds. The population by and large are always spread out amongst the multi-racial guilds. (Often seen an argument that dwarves in particular are at their best when surrounded by other the races because it really allows them to shine but that's another topic entirely.)

Personally I would like to be wrong because dark iron dwarves have some very solid lore and I honestly feel like the draw of warcraft's duergar is enough to keep them interesting in an active community.

Last edited by mmoce9fe1e7ffd; 2018-06-27 at 04:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I roleplay a dwarf and yeah it is hard to find some kin roleplaying, then again I tend to hang out in stormwind plaza (which is very weird for a dwarf)

Quote Originally Posted by kraid View Post
    I roleplay a dwarf and yeah it is hard to find some kin roleplaying, then again I tend to hang out in stormwind plaza (which is very weird for a dwarf)
    Most roleplayers in general are pretty much forced to roleplay in and around Stormwind. It's actually kind of sad to be honest, especially with Ironforge and Darnassus having really interesting aesthetics.

Ironforge also has a lot more places suitable for RP imo like those abandoned houses in the military district.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Most roleplayers in general are pretty much forced to roleplay in and around Stormwind. It's actually kind of sad to be honest, especially with Ironforge and Darnassus having really interesting aesthetics.

Ironforge also has a lot more places suitable for RP imo like those abandoned houses in the military district.
    I have seen roleplay on ironforge which yes it has a lot cool locales for roleplay, also my first ever roleplay experience was on a cozy inn in kharanos which was packed, it even had 2 night elf bartenders and 5 or 6 customers (I got lucky with my first roleplay experience).

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I used to RP a Dark Iron, so I'll probably remake that character as an actual Dark Iron.

As someone who hasn't RPed in years, feel free to discount my opinion-

But my main problem was always how dwarves were presented in the game as bumbling comedic-relief with the only real exception I found was Moira and maaaybe Muradin. Magni isn't comedic relief either, but he's kind of... wooden by design now. It never really inspired me personally to try and make my dwarf unique because he stood out too much being a sourpuss.

I mean, I'm not asking for a Thorgrim Grudgebearer, but I would like to see some dwarves with some real anger issues and an axe to grind with the Horde. Outside of Stormpike (which is confined to a Battleground) and Wildhammer I just don't see it and just see Dwarves, at least in the WoW iteration, as existing purely as an army unit. Hell, sometimes I can't even tell what the fuck the point of Gnomes are since the technological differences between the two are blurred often. I especially found it jarring when the Dark Iron NPC's in WoD were... just like normal dwarves where I had it in my head that Dark Iron's were just hardasses. I often debated whether or not they were really Dark Iron's and not just dwarves who never bathed.

I don't know if I conveyed my personal opinion well, or express my lack of enthusiasm for roleplaying one with any clarity. To answer the OP's question, for me, no it won't really spark enthusiasm to roleplay one, at least with any depth to it, especially with 90% of the RP I found was "har har drunk dwarf fart eat drink party silly situation whoops someones panties are on me head".
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

nah dude. now i dont rp but i play wow and it seems to me rp roles work exactly like pve roles probably. so think of it like this. you have your dps which are your elves and humans. everyone likes playing these. theres too many of them. you cant sort through them fast enough.

but dwarves are more like tanks. theres not many of them out there and you can never find one when you need one. is the answer add more dwarves? well when you add another tank spec to pve you don't get more tanks. you might get a few more at the start while its fresh and exciting but just like dwarves only a certain kind of person is gonna actually stick around and be a tank long term. so probably you will just get regular dwarves switching to dark iron dwarves.

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post

But my main problem was always how dwarves were presented in the game as bumbling comedic-relief with the only real exception I found was Moira and maaaybe Muradin. Magni isn't comedic relief either, but he's kind of... wooden by design now. It never really inspired me personally to try and make my dwarf unique because he stood out too much being a sourpuss.

I mean, I'm not asking for a Thorgrim Grudgebearer, but I would like to see some dwarves with some real anger issues and an axe to grind with the Horde. Outside of Stormpike (which is confined to a Battleground) and Wildhammer I just don't see it and just see Dwarves, at least in the WoW iteration, as existing purely as an army unit. Hell, sometimes I can't even tell what the fuck the point of Gnomes are since the technological differences between the two are blurred often. I especially found it jarring when the Dark Iron NPC's in WoD were... just like normal dwarves where I had it in my head that Dark Iron's were just hardasses. I often debated whether or not they were really Dark Iron's and not just dwarves who never bathed.

I don't know if I conveyed my personal opinion well, or express my lack of enthusiasm for roleplaying one with any clarity. To answer the OP's question, for me, no it won't really spark enthusiasm to roleplay one, at least with any depth to it, especially with 90% of the RP I found was "har har drunk dwarf fart eat drink party silly situation whoops someones panties are on me head".
    That's actually a fair point. Up until Cataclysm, dark dwarves in general were portrayed as far more chaotic culturally with a far more cunning and predatory nature. Somewhere between Forsaken and Bronzebeard/Mountain Dwarves.

I genuinely hope that side is explored by roleplayers. You really don't have much tension in RP nowadays, a lot of people seem to be unable to seperate IC interactions with OOC ones and you have these weird scenarios where night elves are expected to tolerate Illidan, Death Knights or Warlocks that are just openly walking around Stormwind.

When I level my DID, I personally plan on going the more chaotic route. My character probably won't be chaotic evil, more chaotic good or neutral with a low tolerance for disrespect and very little outward empathy.

The "comedic-relief" is true for every race in this game. Every single one of them.

As for DI...no, i don't think so. Just look at the stats...despite all claimes otherwise, most players gravitate towards the visually appealing races. Which imho has nothing to do with racials or available classes. You could give Gnomes the current Arcane Torrent and allow them to roll Demon Hunter and they would still remain unpopular.

DI have been official part of the Alliance since Cataclysm, that was when they added the "Dark Iron" skintone for dwarves....and i saw no increase in dwarves played.

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post

I've RPed inside those abandoned houses before. It's pretty fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post

"Isn't Falstad dead?"