Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Never played classic but...

Ive never played classic, but I've always wanted to since I started midway through TBC. Loved the all the stuff pre LFG. After looking for group was implemented is where I thought WoW was going in the wrong direction.

Aside from talent changes, I can't say that TBC experience was THAT much different from classic, however, I still want to see classic as it was. My reasoning is as follows:
    -no cross realm crap like LFG
    -as far as I know they didn't change the amount of XP needed to hit 60(correct me if I'm wrong since I came in TBC)
    -zones were not mangled beyond repair. You could still quest and experience the zones as they were created in classic
    -even in TBC it was still necessary to do group quests as groups. I'm sure there are exceptions

I want to see what made WoW what it was back in the day - the best MMO (my opinion).

Might be my first post(?) (lurking for years) but I felt compelled to post because I'm excited to try the original game. As a side note, I bought MoP and quit within the week and haven't played since.

Edit - 5th post

At least you experienced BC, I wish I had experienced BC back then more than I would have cared to play Classic.

By the way, if you liked BC, you should have come back for Legion, it was essentially Wrath with LFR and demons instead of scourge.

I, too, started some time during TBC, not sure when though. Barely understood english, and didn't know there were things like patches or exspansions. I had just gotten a box with two cd's (Classic and TBC), two great books telling about the deffirent classes and races etc. Spend all evening reading those books (or well, as much as i understood, mostly just looking at the maps and pictures)

But i had a wonderful time leveling through vanilla content back then. Although the best part of it was exploring the zones that i had never steped foot in before. The world felt so huge.

To be honest, i don't know exactly why i want to play vanilla. i try to avoid all the topics about changes/no-changes, since i myself probably won't be playing it too much - i just want a little taste of nostalgia, and that shouldn't ruin it for the ones who really want to play it.

I Probabaly would have tried it, but cataclysm turned me off with the zoning and leveling changes. I'm one of those that actually enjoyed grinding for hours on end and was frustrated when they reduced the amount of xp needed to reach 60 and 70. But I see the flip side of why they did so.

Making friends while leveling trough hard quest chains was awesome. Oh and the random PvP in STV especially. Since XP was reduced I found myself in areas less than I was previously and less encounters with the opposite faction

Edited for typing on a phone
    Last edited by ieatglue; 2018-06-27 at 09:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    dunno what you mean with zones mangled beyond repair, cata added a bunch of really nice story lines to low level zones
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    dunno what you mean with zones mangled beyond repair, cata added a bunch of really nice story lines to low level zones
    Part of my reason. They added new quests and changed the landscape. Altered the gameplay and made old quests obsolete. Leveling became much "easier" in a way. im not taking away the fact that some may have enjoyed the new changes. Obviously ou were one of them.

I guess I'm just salty they changed what I thought made wow great and made leveling seem trivial almost.

I have played every Xpac and Vanilla. But my true enjoyment of the game ended after CATA ended. I have hated every xpac since then and have unsubbed from all of them for at least a period of 6-8 months since then. The last time I had very truly enjoyable game time with friends was when I graduated college and actually had to do something through the day, after that I could only play 2-3 hours a few nights a week and my level of enjoyment dramatically decreased.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    At least you experienced BC, I wish I had experienced BC back then more than I would have cared to play Classic.

By the way, if you liked BC, you should have come back for Legion, it was essentially Wrath with LFR and demons instead of scourge.
    I don't really see why someone who liked TBC would be necessarily attracted to Wrath. A logical link is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    I don't really see why someone who liked TBC would be necessarily attracted to Wrath. A logical link is missing.
    I liked wrath. I think that's where LFG was introduced? That's my disconnect with wow. All sense of community and working together to progress seemed silly to me

10+ Year Old Account
    clinging to a past he never knew.

saying bc wasn't THAT much different from classic while still not around for that time.

quests made easier in cata? because running through stonetalon for breadcrumbs and unwanted pvp was VERY fun and rewarding, all the while having lots of autorun time to admire the scenery.

WoW evolved - most of the people here aren't capable of that. might try to begin that in a game, lest you want to get under the wheels of life itself.
    From Ancient Terra the Emperor commands His Proud Sons.
    From revered Blood-stock these Warriors are made His Proud Sons.
    No fear they shall know as Adeptus Astartes, His Proud Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by sylenna View Post
    clinging to a past he never knew.

saying bc wasn't THAT much different from classic while still not around for that time.

quests made easier in cata? because running through stonetalon for breadcrumbs and unwanted pvp was VERY fun and rewarding, all the while having lots of autorun time to admire the scenery.

WoW evolved - most of the people here aren't capable of that. might try to begin that in a game, lest you want to get under the wheels of life itself.
    Did I say I was clinging to a game I never knew? No. Don't make assumptiosn you know nothing about - take your holier than thou attitude elsewhere. Wow obviously evolved, did not deny that. It Evolved into what is not what made classic, classic.

- - - Updated - - -

And if you're only looking to for a "rewarding" experience and not one that takes time and patience, stick to retail. As for unwanted PvP, again, stick to retail with the flagged BS. Played on a PvP server and evjoyed every aspect of it, even the occasional ganking. Comes with the territory
    Last edited by ieatglue; 2018-06-27 at 10:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ieatglue View Post
    Did I say I was clinging to a game I never knew? No. Don't make assumptiosn you know nothing about - take your holier than thou attitude elsewhere. Wow obviously evolved, did not deny that. It Evolved into what is not what made classic, classic.
    you loved everything pre-lfg and you want that experience back. if that isn't clinging to some state of some game some time in the past, i don't know what it is.

and WoW will never be classic. the game got so much bigger and better and yet one still knows all the nooks and crannies from classic. if i would ever replay this dreadful new thing they build, i would know exactly what to do and when to do it - and despise every step towards that. i still have my onyxia cloak for nef, my zg hit gear for razuvious, nature and shadow gear. my benediction, my t2, some warlord stuff. they remind me of all the sacrifices i made while exploring a whole new world while making friends with which i have still contact today.

and since you were all in one boat back in the day, you bonded. everything was new, all was unknown and nobody knew of any video guides. only something scribbled together on allakhazam or thottbot was everything you had as extended info on encounters. it was a pain in the ass and 2018 is a great year to look back to these humble beginnings, grin and let the nostalgia sink - and bury it.

but nooo, someone always believes that the classic game was the definitive source of said nostalgia. nope, it was the people you experienced this brave new world with. WoW wasn't a really good game back then, but your mates made the difference. you cannot revive that and the first month after release will show that.

you loved everything pre-lfg and you want that experience back. if that isn't clinging to some state of some game some time in the past, i don't know what it is.

and WoW will never be classic. the game got so much bigger and better and yet one still knows all the nooks and crannies from classic. if i would ever replay this dreadful new thing they build, i would know exactly what to do and when to do it - and despise every step towards that. i still have my onyxia cloak for nef, my zg hit gear for razuvious, nature and shadow gear. my benediction, my t2, some warlord stuff. they remind me of all the sacrifices i made while exploring a whole new world while making friends with which i have still contact today.

and since you were all in one boat back in the day, you bonded. everything was new, all was unknown and nobody knew of any video guides. only something scribbled together on allakhazam or thottbot was everything you had as extended info on encounters. it was a pain in the ass and 2018 is a great year to look back to these humble beginnings, grin and let the nostalgia sink - and bury it.

but nooo, someone always believes that the classic game was the definitive source of said nostalgia. nope, it was the people you experienced this brave new world with. WoW wasn't a really good game back then, but your mates made the difference. you cannot revive that and the first month after release will show that.

I won't even bother reading the Great Wall-o-text. You completely ignored the fact earlier that I stated I'd like to experience classic as classic since I never did. So your opinion means nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I don’t care for classic. But TBC interests me immensely, even if the expansion’s raid-related content fucked the lore/story over significantly.

The only reason I wanted Classic was to one day get a TBC server, private servers seem incapable of replicating that particular expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I won't even bother reading the Great Wall-o-text. You completely ignored the fact earlier that I stated I'd like to experience classic as classic since I never did. So your opinion means nothing.
    this is just a symptom of our fucked up time: nobody gets to have a discussion.

since you are a troll and sight-impaired: you cannot relive classic unless you have a time machine. different time, different people, different circumstances. you weren't there, suffer in silence.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    I don’t care for classic. But TBC interests me immensely, even if the expansion’s raid-related content fucked the lore/story over significantly.

The only reason I wanted Classic was to one day get a TBC server, private servers seem incapable of replicating that particular expansion.
    For some reason BC seems to easily be the most unpopular expansion for private servers bar WoD. Wrath, Cata, MoP all seem to have a following alongside vanilla, but not BC. Maybe because the people who like that model would rather play vanilla anyway.

this is just a symptom of our fucked up time: nobody gets to have a discussion.

since you are a troll and sight-impaired: you cannot relive classic unless you have a time machine. different time, different people, different circumstances. you weren't there, suffer in silence.
    I'm a troll having been a member since 2011 with 10 posts? You are sorely misguided and foolish. Again, the point of the post just goes *whoosh* right let your head. Try to actually discuss the topic at hand, otherwise craw back under your rock.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    For some reason BC seems to easily be the most unpopular expansion for private servers bar WoD. Wrath, Cata, MoP all seem to have a following alongside vanilla, but not BC. Maybe because the people who like that model would rather play vanilla anyway.
    That may be the case. I'll get to hopefully make my own opinion. I'm hopeful that the gameplay will be what it used to be when it was live. Something to look forward to.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a troll having been a member since 2011 with 10 posts? You are sorely misguided and foolish. Again, the point of the post just goes *whoosh* right let your head. Try to actually discuss the topic at hand, otherwise craw back under your rock.
    you really are that dense, aren't you? would you want queen to play today but only in the classic constellation and with the surrounding zeitgeist of, say, 1984? no, because it couldn't be the same thing. same goes for a game with such a great community back in the day.

today would only let the toxic players stomp through old memories of a time gone by. you HAVE to get some of that, right?

you really are that dense, aren't you? would you want queen to play today but only in the classic constellation and with the surrounding zeitgeist of, say, 1984? no, because it couldn't be the same thing. same goes for a game with such a great community back in the day.

today would only let the toxic players stomp through old memories of a time gone by. you HAVE to get some of that, right?
    Annnnd not reading your post. Get with the program and actually discuss what was mentioned, not just downplay someone's opinion.

Is Reddit missing its resident village idiot?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    It’s the other way around for me. I like the idea of TBC because it’s like a much more balanced version of Vanilla. For example, Ret paladins might still be bad but they’re at least somewhat playable and available to both factions.

It’d be a nice little side comfort game to play when modern WoW gets boring.