Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why are there no extremely vicious scary monsters out there any more?

Because everything dies in this game. Everything is too trivial so there's no sense of danger.

There is not a soul alive who did not run from the Butcher in the original Diablo. He was as scary as he was vicious. A room fool of corpses and appendages everywhere. The stuff of nightmares. If you managed to run from him you knew he was somewhere in the dungeon.

There is nothing like that in WoW. No monsters, no threat = no monster just loot pinatas.

Discuss.

They're called Sub Rogues in World PvP. They pop up, instagib you and run off or camp you. They're practically immortal too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like someone never got smushed by a Fel Reaver in HFP
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

7+ Year Old Account
    So...

1. The atmosphere/tone of Diablo versus World of Warcraft is much, much different. Bird's eye view of your character constantly surrounded by fog of war in a horror themed game? Of course that is going to be scary, especially with the "pop up out of nowhere" gimmick monsters in Diablo tend to do. Not a good comparison.

2. If you are specifically talking about instanced raid bosses, it is purely subjective. You may be too old now to feel that sense of immersion to be genuinely fearful of a boss, or at the very least, view it as a significant threat. Going back to the Diablo vs WoW point, WoW's theme is infinitely less scary than Diablo and Diablo II so I wouldn't expect to see viciously scary monsters in WoW.

Because people complained about the Fel Reaver in Hellfire Peninsula.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You are comparing 2 different games and their atmospheres.

"Why isn't Mario Galaxy scary or hard, in Dark Souls they are!!!"

Wut.

on every expansion there is elites who kills leveling ppl

Deleted
    Because I am not 12 anymore. Devilsaurs in Ungoro were fucking scary back in a day, nowI run under the feet of fel reaver like world boss on argus or engage the fight on world boss on shore. I am not afraid anymore, even tho the danger is the same - being two shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    Because people complained about the Fel Reaver in Hellfire Peninsula.
    i loved that guy. way creepier than the shitty reavers in legion.

Have you not seen the horror of the Council Elevator boss in Antorus?

Madness will consume you!!!

There's a giant mob walking around on Argus that will kick your ass if you get too close to him without a group.

You're meant to be a hero of Azeroth by that point though. Rares on Argus when you're there gearing will kick your ass too.

because you're not 12 years old anymore, and this isn't your first time experiencing an mmo.

i think back to how i viewed grell when i first started my night elf hunter, to now when i make a new character in a new mmo. it's a night and day difference. i'm not scared of anything, even if i know it can beat my ass. those grell though? those grell beat my ass, and i feared the rod. because i was like 15 and new to gaming in an mmo.

Quote Originally Posted by TommiTMX View Post
    There's a giant mob walking around on Argus that will kick your ass if you get too close to him without a group.

You're meant to be a hero of Azeroth by that point though. Rares on Argus when you're there gearing will kick your ass too.
    Hell, there's a couple, like one of the shivarras in the garden area and the lucid broken in Mac'Aree who will still feed a heroic-semi-mythic geared dps their liver if they face it head on. I gotta go bear spec to fight them.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clearly you've not been paying attention in Legion.

https://i.imgur.com/P3jNA0Q.jpg
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

Early Suramar, doing the WQs in the eastern part of the city, begs to differ.

Deleted
    We just had an entire expansion about spooky demons, including vicious and stronk ones. What drugs are you on OP?

Quote Originally Posted by pitar99a View Post
    We just had an entire expansion about spooky demons. What drugs are you on OP?
    Today these spooky demons die in 2 seconds. I suppose the OP wants a lot of visually-spooky monsters, which also end up one-shotting us.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldrefreader View Post
    Today these spooky demons die in 2 seconds. I suppose the OP wants a lot of visually-spooky monsters, which also end up one-shotting us.
    Personally I never saw the appeal in getting stomped like birdsh*t by the Fel Reaver in Hellfire, 10 years ago. Maybe it's just me.

Mist of Pandaria -> Timeless Isle Rare's => oneshotting fully raid geared tanks easily, it was basicly fighting Diablo3-GRrift-CHAMPIONS

Most MMO players did not like it, because even in groups/raids you had to avoid the oneshots, you could not outgear nor outRAID them, the reputation farming was painful for the majority of the playerbase.

Thats why I don't get the wow classic hype at all, it had more comon with MoP Timeless Isle difficulty for harder mobs and in both cases the community was complaing about it.
    -

They have gone full blood mode in BFA, half the bosses are super disgusting and scary-ish.