10+ Year Old Account

Need help with headset mic

I am pulling my hair out at this point, so I figured I'd give it a shot here to see if anyone else can see something I'm missing.

I have the Kingston Hyper X Cloud 2 Headphones. They come with a detachable mic.

I haven't had a use for a mic since I picked them up, but my friend and I want to start using a mic for communication in Destiny 2. I connected the mic, and after a bit of troubleshooting and googling, I assumed my mic was just dead and bought a new one. The new one came today, I plugged it in, and same thing, I can't get the mic to work.

Things I have tried:
    Opened Sound/Recording, Headset mic is set to default and it is enabled
    Opened Mic Privacy Settings and made access was enabled and "allow apps" was on
    Updated Firmware drivers as well as Realtek Audio drivers, rebooted
    Switched from USB 2.0 port to USB 3.0 port
    Disabled and enabled both headset and headset mic in Device Manager
    Checked on the USB dongle for volume, mic is not muted (I toggled the mute on and off several times as well)
    All Windows updates are up to date
    Plugged mic into 3.5mm jack on front of computer, mic works (but can't pick up my voice from that far away, otherwise I would've just left it there lol)
    The mic port on the headset has had a plug over it this entire time, but I still took a can of air and blasted it to make sure the jack wasn't dirty

Again, I'm out of options. I've spent the past hour just googling this issue and tried everything that everyone has mentioned. Anyone with this headset know how to fix this? Can anyone think of anything I haven't tried? Would really appreciate the help. I have also sent this info to Kingston, but I bet I'll just get some copypasta drivel that is of no help, and I'll see it in about a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I am pulling my hair out at this point, so I figured I'd give it a shot here to see if anyone else can see something I'm missing.

I have the Kingston Hyper X Cloud 2 Headphones. They come with a detachable mic.

I haven't had a use for a mic since I picked them up, but my friend and I want to start using a mic for communication in Destiny 2. I connected the mic, and after a bit of troubleshooting and googling, I assumed my mic was just dead and bought a new one. The new one came today, I plugged it in, and same thing, I can't get the mic to work.

Things I have tried:
    Opened Sound/Recording, Headset mic is set to default and it is enabled
    Opened Mic Privacy Settings and made access was enabled and "allow apps" was on
    Updated Firmware drivers as well as Realtek Audio drivers, rebooted
    Switched from USB 2.0 port to USB 3.0 port
    Disabled and enabled both headset and headset mic in Device Manager
    Checked on the USB dongle for volume, mic is not muted (I toggled the mute on and off several times as well)
    All Windows updates are up to date
    Plugged mic into 3.5mm jack on front of computer, mic works (but can't pick up my voice from that far away, otherwise I would've just left it there lol)
    The mic port on the headset has had a plug over it this entire time, but I still took a can of air and blasted it to make sure the jack wasn't dirty

Again, I'm out of options. I've spent the past hour just googling this issue and tried everything that everyone has mentioned. Anyone with this headset know how to fix this? Can anyone think of anything I haven't tried? Would really appreciate the help. I have also sent this info to Kingston, but I bet I'll just get some copypasta drivel that is of no help, and I'll see it in about a week.
    How are you testing if the mic works or not? Which windows?

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-...e-working.html
    There's a mic mute button on the left side of the usb dongle. Make sure its not physically turned off.
    PM me weird stuff :3

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the recent updates to windows 10 had a privacy setting for allowing apps to use your mic...lemme see if i can dig something up, was an issue for me

- - - Updated - - -

This
    https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/...ra-and-privacy
    How to control which apps can use the microphone

Go to Start , then select Settings  > Privacy > Microphone.
    Choose your preferred setting for Allow apps to access your microphone.
    Under Choose which apps can access your microphone, turn on or off the individual settings for apps and services.
    Not sure which versions of windows had that added but its worth a check

And gh reread post said you’d tried that
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Deleted

I got a pair of these for my son and the mic was indeed muted by default. They had no issues once toggled on though, so OP's issue looks like something else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    How are you testing if the mic works or not? Which windows?

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-...e-working.html
    Windows 10. The link you posted and the one Christan posted I have already seen. As I said, I have spent hours on google and doing troubleshooing already lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DonGenaro View Post
    I got a pair of these for my son and the mic was indeed muted by default. They had no issues once toggled on though, so OP's issue looks like something else.
    Yeah I already mentioned that I toggled the mute, but it hasn't done anything. I KNOW the mic itself works, I tested it on the computer itself, but for some reason having it plugged into the headset prevents it from working. I have already replaced the dongle once, I now have a replacement mic that won't work, I don't think I'm ever buying anything from Kingston if this is the sort of quality I can expect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Having had a chance to have a look at my son's, make sure the mic boom is solidly pressed into the bottom of the earcup, it's a firm fit. Also, can you try the full headset plugged into a device via the 3.5mm jack, bypassing the usb adapter?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Windows 10. The link you posted and the one Christan posted I have already seen. As I said, I have spent hours on google and doing troubleshooing already lol.
    Yeah I already mentioned that I toggled the mute, but it hasn't done anything. I KNOW the mic itself works, I tested it on the computer itself, but for some reason having it plugged into the headset prevents it from working. I have already replaced the dongle once, I now have a replacement mic that won't work, I don't think I'm ever buying anything from Kingston if this is the sort of quality I can expect.
    Are you using voice recorder in w10 to test it?

Sounds like you might have a faulty connection, like

Quote Originally Posted by DonGenaro View Post
    Having had a chance to have a look at my son's, make sure the mic boom is solidly pressed into the bottom of the earcup, it's a firm fit.
    said.
    PM me weird stuff :3