Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Since you are so blissfully ignorant just look up heartbeat bills, abortion regulation bills passed on the state level, reversing Roe has been the mantra of republicans for generations. If you think that they won't do this you are ignoring all the years they have spent chipping away at it.
    You said it much better than I, thank you.

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Since you are so blissfully ignorant just look up heartbeat bills, abortion regulation bills passed on the state level, reversing Roe has been the mantra of republicans for generations. If you think that they won't do this you are ignoring all the years they have spent chipping away at it.
    It's pretty hilarious to hear folks say this. Heard it a lot on 2016 when a bunch of younger kids raised into voting age thought that the relative liberal peace and stability of the Obama era was forever.

Roe is very likely gone.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Silly arguments on the internet are irrelevant when my side is achieving real world victories.

The supreme court was a very important battleground and prize of this election.
    What victories are those exactly, and how are you benefiting from them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by akris15 View Post
    Elections...have...consequences...
    This shit is ultimately the reason why I voted for Hillary.

I was on the fence for either Hillary, or voting for some 3rd Party, when I realized, with Scalia dead and 2-3 other possible retirements/deaths in SCOTUS before 2020, we better make sure the Democrats get the Oval Office, so the Republicans can't load it with far right judges.

And then we lost in 2016.

To America's worst American.
    Putin khuliyo

ROFLMAO did you miss how republicans passed the tax bill, Harry Reid or not we would be at the same place.
    Please elaborate, did they not control all three branches?

Quote Originally Posted by Negan View Post
    Roe didn’t come up. Abortion wasn’t affected at all. California just couldn't require a small sect of pregnancy centers to serve as parrots. It was entirely first amendment based. A woman’s ability to have an abortion wasn’t even touched.

Again, garbage hyperbole by people not interested in discussing the facts.
    So what happens when states like Oklahoma, that have already made statements official statements labeling elective abortions as murder, pass an even more restrictive law (if not an outright ban) than the one in Iowa which bans abortions after six weeks (effectively banning almost all abortions as a lot of women won't even know they're pregnant until after that mark), and it makes its way to the Supreme Court?

This has literally been the game plan of the evangelical right for ages. They keep passing more and more restrictive laws on abortion and, now that they're pretty much guaranteed an anti-abortion majority on the Supreme Court, they'll try to swiftly move any challenges to these laws through the courts so they can overturn Roe v. Wade.

Anyone who thinks the Supreme Court will be hesitant to overturn a prior decision must not have been following the news today when they ruled 5-4 and overturned a 9-0 decision from a prior court.

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    I hope the Democrats in the Senate are going to enjoy reaping what they sowed. What I refer to here is that with regards to the Gorsuch nomination they acted like he was some radical when it came to replacing someone like Scalia. At the time some Republicans like Collins warned them that trying to block Gorsuch would only lead to the nuclear option and result in the Democrats not having any real say with replacing Kennedy.

Fact is that a few Republicans would have been far less willing to nuke the filibuster to replace Kennedy then they were with Gorsuch.
    Not at all. The Dems were going to lose every SCOTUS battle under Trump/McConnell no matter how they fought.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Roe didn’t come up. Abortion wasn’t affected at all. California just couldn't require a small sect of pregnancy centers to serve as parrots. It was entirely first amendment based. A woman’s ability to have an abortion wasn’t even touched.
    I'm gonna start pissing in empty bottles and advertise it to old Republicans as special Trump Juice™ that will cure their diverticulitis. Free speech and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    There was a time in American history where judges were not really considered partisan. That was the founder's intent, but they never explicitly enshrined it. The purpose of lifetime appointments were to remove politics and partisanship from the court, and allow it to be unbiased. However all that has gone out the window in the last 40 or so years.
    It's been twice as long as 40 years. In 1937 FDR (yes, a Democrat) extorted SCOTUS to get his New Deal legislation passed. Justices have been picked pretty much along ideological lines since then.

Here is a quick read if you're interested: https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...t-packing-plan

Again, garbage hyperbole by people not interested in discussing the facts.
    You didn't read the case then. The case was about CPCs withholding information from patients (who being pregnant, are quite vulnerable). The case was about making them display the full menu of what services they provide including a disclaimer saying "We do not perform abortions" but the ruling that went through says CPCs can withhold ALL the information including the fact that they are not clinics, they do not have doctors, or that they even have any trained medical staff.

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    I hope the Democrats in the Senate are going to enjoy reaping what they sowed. What I refer to here is that with regards to the Gorsuch nomination they acted like he was some radical when it came to replacing someone like Scalia. At the time some Republicans like Collins warned them that trying to block Gorsuch would only lead to the nuclear option and result in the Democrats not having any real say with replacing Kennedy.

Fact is that a few Republicans would have been far less willing to nuke the filibuster to replace Kennedy then they were with Gorsuch.
    Orrin Hatch was asked if they would get rid of the filibuster if Ginsburg retired, and he said "Of course."

It's cute that you think these people are about anything other than the most naked of power politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    Please elaborate, did they not control all three branches?
    When republicans passed the tax bill they showed they didn't care about how things were usually done. The bill did not go through any bipartisan committees or any resemblance of proper discussion even had handwritten notes, it was jammed through at record speed. This is probably the only thing I admire about republicans they have balls when it comes to getting what they want whereas democrats are always looking to compromise and follow the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    I'm gonna start pissing in empty bottles and advertise it to old Republicans as special Trump Juice™ that will cure their diverticulitis. Free speech and all that.
    You go ahead and do that, little fella. Now run along, you little scamp!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

I'd say that continual attempts to restrict rights and disenfranchise people constitutes a long train of abuses and usurpations. The Republican Party as it stands is no longer just a facet of the American republic; it's a cancerous opponent of it.

Either extirpate them from the government or rend the country into its appropriate parts.
    Remind me last time conservatives were running around burning the american flag like some third world country.

And you call us un-american. topkek.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    We'll see how you feel when white guys are a minority.
    Promoting white genocide huh?

Remind me last time conservatives were running around burning the american flag like some third world country.

And you call us un-american. topkek.
    Were you in a coma during all 8 years of Obama?

10+ Year Old Account
    I can certainly remind you of the last time conservatives were waving around the flag of a traitor state founded for the express purpose of keeping people as disposable property.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

When republicans passed the tax bill they showed they didn't care about how things were usually done. The bill did not go through any bipartisan committees or any resemblance of proper discussion even had handwritten notes, it was jammed through at record speed. This is probably the only thing I admire about republicans they have balls when it comes to getting what they want whereas democrats are always looking to compromise and follow the rules.
    Ok but it was voted on, so it's hard to complain about the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    It's been twice as long as 40 years. In 1937 FDR (yes, a Democrat) extorted SCOTUS to get his New Deal legislation passed. Justices have been picked pretty much along ideological lines since then.

Here is a quick read if you're interested: https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...t-packing-plan
    Yeah that's very well known history. It's also pretty notable that it was overwhelmingly struck down with over a supermajority vote, when Democrats held nearly 80% of the seats. Heavy partisanship in the court came predominately under Reagan's appointments. FDR tried, yes, but failed miserably to expand the court. It wasn't until the 70s and 80s when purely partisan picks were made and confirmed. I know that's a popular point to make from the right, but they often overlook how unpopular the legislation was, especially in a time when Democrats had the ability to freely pass legislation and constitutional amendments.
    Last edited by God Save The King; 2018-06-27 at 09:27 PM.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I can certainly remind you of the last time conservatives were waving around the flag of a traitor state founded for the express purpose of keeping people as disposable property.
    Your ignorant opinion about the confederate flag doesn't excuse liberals burning the american flag while waving the flags of other nations.

- - - Updated - - -

Were you in a coma during all 8 years of Obama?
    At worst you had a few edgy conservatives making racist models / dolls of obama. I don't remember seeing conservatives burn flags or knee during the anthem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your ignorant opinion about the confederate flag doesn't excuse liberals burning the american flag while waving the flags of other nations.
    And they shouldn't be made to excuse it. I certainly hope they keep at it, at this point; and increase the scope of their activities, to boot.

If you refuse to treat the opposition in a civil fashion, then I hope you find being made to fear them preferable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.