Page 1 of 2
LastLast

giving two weeks notice

So many employers have an expectation that an employee should give two weeks notice before quitting a job. However an employer doesn't have to give two weeks notice before firing someone. This seems like an archaic an unfair expectation. Yes I know you can quit at any time on the spot but I think that it should not be expected to give an employer two weeks notice.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    So many employers have an expectation that an employee should give two weeks notice before quitting a job. However an employer doesn't have to give two weeks notice before firing someone. This seems like an archaic an unfair expectation. Yes I know you can quit at any time on the spot but I think that it should not be expected to give an employer two weeks notice.
    If you want to leave on good terms it is the courteous thing to do so that your former employer is not blind sided. Its about not burning bridges. If someone is being fired there is generally a reason for that which is why it is sudden.

You don't cut someone and then expect them to be productive. It's like a relationship that way. This is what severance pay is for.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I left Home Depot for my current company I came in the day I was supposed to work and told my boss that this is my last day.

That's the only nice thing about At-Will Employment -- You can end it at anytime just like they can.

Two weeks later I got my last check in the mail a long with a note notifying me of my termination. I laughed.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Unless you do something drastic employers usually have to give you a few written warnings before they fire you to avoid a lawsuit in some situations. Firing you also lets you collect unemployment.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    It also depends on what you work with, if you work with sensitive data etc, you need to leave right away (thats what happend to me).

In most of Europe it's 1 month for both sides. If you want to quit immediately, you owe them 1 salary, and the same for them if they want to fire you immedaitely (with the exception of disciplinary cases like not showing up for work at all).

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's because leaving and being fired are two different things. Being fired is usually when you've done something wrong as an employee, and the employer no longer wants you around. Leaving, as an employee, usually means another job or retiring, and in that case it's courteous to give the employer what amounts to a "heads-up" so they have time to replace the vacant spot and/or temporarily redirect the work load.

Ive given 2 weeks notice twice in my life ( when i was younger) both times i was told to go home and not come back. the first time they didn't pay me my last cheque or give me my tipout So it's always seemed pointless to me

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Unless you do something drastic employers usually have to give you a few written warnings before they fire you to avoid a lawsuit in some situations. Firing you also lets you collect unemployment.
    In 'right to work for less' states, there is only anti-discrimination that protects employees and even that is so weak as to be laughable. Proving bias, and being able to afford the process to get your job back make it almost impossible for bias cases to result in an employee winning.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

You usually get fired for a good reason, and after multiple warnings. I would consider that your notice.

If you're getting laid off, you usually DO get the notice.

Also, giving two weeks notice when you're quitting is not mandatory, but is common courtesy and typically allows you to keep a clean employment history with good references.
    Last edited by getupkid55; 2018-06-28 at 05:09 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my employment history, I've always shown my employer the courtesy of at minimum a weeks notice, more often it's been 2 or 3 weeks. Burning bridges is a bad idea, as you never know how the future unfolds, and you may need that job back.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

In Denmark it's contractually written what the notice is, and then it counts for both parties.
    It' usually 1 month for hourly employees, 3 months for salaried employees, but as low as 2 weeks for youth-workers, season work and unskilled work.

From the day you put in your notice you have the timespan of your notice you have to work, but it's up to the employer whether they want you to work or not.
    Salaried workers will be fully paid in the 3 months if they are fired/laid off, but if they quit themself they can only demand salary for the months in the agreed timespan they are working.

The norms around here is pretty good.
    But a notice, whether it's being fired, leaving or getting laid off should be common courtesy.
    Last edited by freezion; 2018-06-28 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    If you want to leave on good terms it is the courteous thing to do so that your former employer is not blind sided. Its about not burning bridges. If someone is being fired there is generally a reason for that which is why it is sudden.
    Basically this. When I left my almost-minimum wage job years ago to jump on a time sensitive job offer, I bent over backwards to explain the situation to my boss and apologized for not giving two weeks. It's about courtesy and, as you said, not burning bridges.

Yeah, I always tell others don't burn your bridges because you may need to cross back over if things don't work out. Always leave on a good note.
    Strangely enough we do see people returning here with a fair amount of frequency.

Thing is usually when you quit a job it's because you found something else. So it's the good thing to do to leave on good terms. But when you get fired it's because you sucked ass, you don't deserve 2 week's notice. However in cases where people get fired because of financial problem in the company they usually see this coming and give some times notice to people getting fired. It basically comes down to respect, if your boss or job was shit and you gtfo then it's not that surprising to leave without giving notice (I did this myself when I was younger) and if an employee is terrible then why should the company give a shit about giving him notice?

The right thing to do is give at least a 2 weeks notice. I haven't always done this.

It sucks too, because some companies will not give the courtesy of letting you know if they're doing lay-offs.

People trying to argue that companies can fire you at any time is silly. Most companies are forced to show documentation of write-ups before they terminate someone. So, you know well before being fired that you've fucked up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Some places really appreciate the two week notice, but I've known of a LOT of business's where - if the employee gives that notice, they legit let them go right away on the spot. Again, technology companies really don't let you go to town on their stuff after you give notice/UNLESS you're a core manager etc - someone that can't be replaced, and in that case, if you're KEY personnel - you need to give a TWO MONTH notice to find a good replacement.

I have nearly always done that as a courtesy.

Only once did I quit without notice. That manager deserved it.
    "Independence forever!" --- President John Adams
    "America is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own." --- President John Quincy Adams
    "Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Deleted
    Here it is 4 weeks and the employer will have a hard time getting you fired, so they often wait untill a contract ends.