Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    You don't need to combat over the top insults by saying that being morbidly obese is a good thing/attractive. Why not just campaign to get people to stop insulting fat people on the basis that it doesn't help them lose weight?
    Why not? Why shouldn't those people get to feel good about themselves? What is it to you? Take care of your body how you want and let others do as they want.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    If she is happy with herself that is great and not any of my business. But to put it forth as if it is healthy or something to encourage is another story though. I have a cousin with a 16 year old daughter who was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes not long ago. He tried to get her to eat better and exercise but that is hard to do every other weekend and she bought into the whole HAES nonsense and now has a life long problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Why not? Why shouldn't those people get to feel good about themselves? What is it to you? Take care of your body how you want and let others do as they want.
    We live in an interconnected society, socially and financially. We all have a reason to care about how others treat themselves. Healthcare costs for most people could be dramatically reduced, for example, if nobody was obese. Their productivity would also increase, which would yield benefits for everyone else as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    When I used to smoke cigarettes I was publicly shamed, segregated and ostracised. All my friends and family would constantly wag the finger telling me it was bad for my health. How is being morbidly obese different?
    Well smoking affects me if you do it near me, so it's actually quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    When what the fuck is even the point of a fitness magazine?
    I'm sure a bunch of valid reasons, and also to perpetuate the BS argument that you do need to compare yourself to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Respect is a stupid concept and if you don't want to solicit a reaction you shouldn't thrust yourself into the public consciousness.
    So everyone should all just stay in their homes and never leave? Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alnilam81 View Post
    That's not really true, most fitness stuff is marketed in an aspirational manner, so the whole point is you can look like the people on the cover if you buy the magazine. There is also a huge gym goer community looking for supplement/fitness gadgets/equipment/workout reviews. So having fit cover models essentially hits both big demographics.
    That's bullshit. If you're fat and want decent running gear so you can get fit, there's nothing "aspirational" about not being able to find anything that fits you and just being bombarded with images of fit people because the industry only makes things sized for fit people.

Quote Originally Posted by Viconia View Post
    Look at me! This is none of your business! Can you hear me? None. Of. Your. Business.

Yeah...
    Well if more people already acted like it was none of their business, there would have been no reason for the cover. People can't stop inserting their noise into other people's lives though. Everyone's an expert.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I wonder how many in the "ERMAHGERD BUT IT'S A FITNESS MERG!!!" camp have actually gone to their website.

I mean there's an article featuring someone who looks only slightly smaller than this woman demoing introductory weight-lifting techniques/exercises. Someone who also happens to spend a lot of time lifting significantly heavier weights...

Or hell, have even read the article, which basically sums up most of the posts I'm seeing here:
    Cool, someone else that gets it.

Nope, can't let that slide.

Tess is a fat acceptance activist, she has modelled at that size for quite some years now. It is clear she has no intention of losing weight so it's hard to argue she is appearing on the magazine to promote her fitness regime. Any doctor would tell you she is in the high risk category for heart disease and any number of other health issues, we don't need to guess how healthy she is or isn't.

Given that we are bombarded with general health warnings for everything from skin cancer to alcohol abuse, why should we make exceptions for obesity? Or anorexia for that matter?
    Come back when you understand what fat acceptance is about. Stop flaunting your ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    On topic here, Self Magazine specialized in health, wellness, beauty, and style for women. It was not a "fitness magazine". You can be fat and still have wellness, health and style. Women come in all different kinds of shapes. You may not agree with them. You might agree with some. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some women love low rising flared boot jeans while others think it is disgusting. Self reaches out to all kinds of life like they did with Tess. It is really simple too, if you don't like it, don't buy it. That's the joy of being in a free nation.
    Careful now, you're being a rational human being in a pool of fat-hating sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by bobty View Post
    For some reason substance abuse problems are generally considered unacceptable except when it comes to food. It's not uncommon at all for obese people to be in denial about their calorific intake and health conditions that actually make it insanely easy to gain weight are extremely rare.
    The difference is you're not incapable of seeing straight and then getting into a car accident because you had a big meal and you can't fuck up my lungs because you drank a lot of soda.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    Just ignores everything a doctor just said in two videos...

But sure, some rando on the internet knows better.
    Sidewalk doctors. Everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    We live in an interconnected society, socially and financially. We all have a reason to care about how others treat themselves. Healthcare costs for most people could be dramatically reduced, for example, if nobody was obese. Their productivity would also increase, which would yield benefits for everyone else as well.
    If you are so concerned with health care costs I am sure you will do the honest thing and always pay every medical cost out of your own pocket. I also hope you work 16 hours a day, to keep productivity up.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are so concerned with health care costs I am sure you will do the honest thing and always pay every medical cost out of your own pocket. I also hope you work 16 hours a day, to keep productivity up.
    What? Lol.

You clearly didn't understand my post.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

I, for one, believe this is wrong. She is not curvy, she is morbidly obese. This is a health issue, not something to be celebrated in promoting health. She shouldn't be encouraging people to accept their bodies when it's a health issue. Having a 'fat positivity activist' on the cover of a health magazine seems a little..unhealthy.

Apologies I couldn't find a smaller image (no pun intended).

https://nypost.com/2018/06/27/the-in...agazine-cover/
    If it's none of my business, then why is she making it my business by posing on the cover of a fitness magazine? Seems kinda stupid to ask for attention and tell me not to pay attention.
    Well, she'll be dead long before I'm dead, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Orz View Post
    Iam really drunk right now so does anyone have her number? Oh wow the room is starting to sway.....
    How sway!
    change can't wait.

There's always somebody like yourself that presents with what he thinks is a meaningful and important statement like the one above.
    Losing weight is basic math you can lose weight just eating junk food as long as you stay in a caloric deficit and have no medical condition that's a scientific fact. I lost 100 pounds years ago and have kept it off, you just have to love yourself enough to make the change.

This is disgusting should have a NSFW tag also.

Shes a role model for silver back gorillas. Stop being so judgemental

Just ignores everything a doctor just said in two videos...

But sure, some rando on the internet knows better.
    There are always quack doctors. Damn near every doctor to have ever doctored agrees weight is simply calorie in VS calories out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ew! As a former obese(!) person, I find this thing disgusting! What the fuck is it thinking? Does it think that it will lead a proper life? Can it even move easily? I'm so sorry I sound as a horrible person, but people that are obese need people that sound horrible to save their lives! I thank the guys that were ruthless at me! I almost had a heart attack 2 years ago because of my fat. And I was 24 at the time. Honestly, I don't even see people that obese as "people". Not since they don't respect their lives and they are so arrogant to realize they have problems!

7+ Year Old Account
    Early artwork of Jabba the Hutt for the upcoming Fett movie

really though. DAMM

They shouldn't feel good about themselves. They should want to be better for their health and for themselves. Saying "I give up, and I am fine the way I am" is defeatist. There is nothing to be proud of if you give up and allow yourself to stay the way you are. We shouldn't praise people for giving up on themselves and living unhealthy lives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being morbidly obese causes heart problems, arthritis, as well as mental retardation apparently. Why are people promoting her garbage still?

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Iran isn't part of the United States, Trump should stay the fuck out, as should Israel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    They shouldn't feel good about themselves. They should want to be better for their health and for themselves. Saying "I give up, and I am fine the way I am" is defeatist. There is nothing to be proud of if you give up and allow yourself to stay the way you are. We shouldn't praise people for giving up on themselves and living unhealthy lives.
    If you do nothing but hate yourself how can you change anything.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    As much as I find Tess to be utterly disgusting and her message damaging, I don't like the argument of saying that because she lives in a country with single payer healthcare that her health should be regulated by the state. I mean, shit, where does that kind of logic go? Can't smoke? Can't chew tobacco? Red meat only once a week? Mostly vegan diet? Mandatory exercise? Hard pass.
    Who's saying that her health should be regulated by the state? There's a big difference between moral obligation and enforcement.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Being morbidly obese causes heart problems, arthritis, as well as mental retardation apparently. Why are people promoting her garbage still?
    The list of health problems caused by obesity is a lot longer than that. Throw in Alzheimer's, diabetes, and cancer for a start.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    This makes me want to vomit. How does one create a "fitness" magazine and have a landwhale on the cover.