Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mage tower was a challenge on the patch it was released on. Now with the Ilvl we have it's like soloing a heroic dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    Look at all the idiotic posts bashing the OP. They read the title of the thread and proceed to respond without reading the OP. OP is asking why Blizzard thinks Mage Towers are a flop by Blizzard, not him, and people are bashing him. Shows how lazy the WoW community is today. Friggin' hilarious... hilarious and pathetic. It doesn't take that long to read a post guys and gals. Try reading before responding. Its not hard. It doesn't take much time.
    Blizzard doesn't think that mage tower is a flop by any means so his entire premise is flawed.

Read the thread

I don't think that a tiny portion of the playerbase doing something constitutes a flop. Sometimes it's good to have things in the game that people aspire to or just know is there to go do if they ever want to (or have the gear for). Carrot on a stick and all that.

Personally I do think that the mage tower had a serious flaw: cheesed by gear. If they just fixed the ilvl of people doing them, or maybe if they used templates like pvp, it would have been much more interesting of a solo challenge for everyone, instead of it getting much easier the more geared people are.

Another flaw imo was that certain challenges were a piece of cake for certain specs, while the same challenges were much harder for other specs. For example balance could faceroll the twins just bursting everything down, while spriests and afflocks had to put in more effort.

Imo next time they do this they should just go all out and tailor every challenge to each spec and set the character power in stone so that everyone is on a level playing field. Some would still be easier than others, but I would love that.

10+ Year Old Account
    The premise of the OP is flawed. "If something is successful they will always continue it and if they don't continue it then the only reason for not doing so is because iw was not a success" ignores that designers may choose not to do something again (ever or right away) just because it was a success if it doesn't fit the new game, if there are enough other things they want to try, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    It is clear to me that the mage tower was considered a flop by Blizzard. I would guess that the only reason for this would be if only a tiny, TINY percentage of 110 characters have either unlocked, or, attempted to unlock the xmog. Obviously whenever there is a poll on mmo-c, 180% of players have completed every single challenge for every single spec on every single class, but i suspect the truth is quite different.

Why would Blizzard not continue the Mage Tower, with new challenges in the next expansion? It could have been with armor sets this time.
    Mage tower is great. Sorry that you and all the other whiners apparently suck at this simple child's game.

10+ Year Old Account
    A flop? Probably not. -Flawed-? Absolutely. Some of the challenges seem arbitrarily more difficult for certain specs than others and some still remain exceedingly and unreasonably difficult even after the supercharge for artifacts. Tank challenges in particular are -NOT- tanking challenges, they're dps races cleverly mocked up to appear as if it's a tanking challenge.

But of course, anything that is unreasonably overtuned is lauded as Blizzard returning to "good olde times of classic yore". Also it being a -SINGLE PLAYER- challenge kind of removes the whole mmo-element behind it but hey, the incredibly loud 1% won't be happy unless we peasants are in literal grey quality armour.

I main hunter and pretty much only have time for that. I didn't like any of the skins so i didn't even bother.
    That kinda sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Kardagh View Post
    But of course, anything that is unreasonably overtuned is lauded as Blizzard returning to "good olde times of classic yore". Also it being a -SINGLE PLAYER- challenge kind of removes the whole mmo-element behind it but hey, the incredibly loud 1% won't be happy unless we peasants are in literal grey quality armour.
    Man your in-game life must be such a harrowing and harsh existence being held down by the cheeto stained iron fist of the 1% eh

i thoroughly enjoyed the mage tower and consider it one of the best parts of Legion. Took me 124 attempts for my main spec when it first came out. Taught me a lot about my spec. Now most of my alts (well the ones i care about anyway) have at least one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Obvious bait thread, now 30+ pages. Never change, mmo-c.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Obvious bait thread, now 30+ pages. Never change, mmo-c.
    Mods here must enjoy these sort of cesspool threads, for what it's worth.

It's amazing that most of the posters on MMOC one shot all the appearances when it was new content. Most of them cleared naxx in vanilla wow too!

I feel like such a baddie because I don't have them all, and actually had to try most of the ones I have more than once.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicycheeto View Post
    Man your in-game life must be such a harrowing and harsh existence being held down by the cheeto stained iron fist of the 1% eh
    #FreeTheCheetos

#FreeThe99%

To OP: I'm sorry the mage tower was too difficult for you. Keep trying, you'll get it eventually!

I thought it was a fantastic addition, and I think you're entirely missing the point of it: It was not something for a majority of the playerbase to complete; it was always intended a small portion of players would have these skins.

If it's true that the mage tower is hard for shitters than it feels rewarding to have been able to beat so many of them, maybe git gud.

that hotfix was my bad Somarlane's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasparde View Post
    Turns out the mage tower challenge was actually challenging.
    Biggest part of the player base doesn't like to be challenged these days.
    Obviously they will not continue something that tells people they're bad at the game.
    People these days don't like to invest time into something.
    There is some merit to this argument, but it remains a gross over-simplification of an issue with multiple factors.
    2021-09-21
    23:02 chelly: bobs and virginia

Eh I didn't like the way most of them looked, or I don't play the class enough to even have the gear or care to mess with it so I didn't bother. No sweat off my back, it's just a Transmog.

The Mage Tower was Blizzard's answer to a challenge that offered cosmetic rewards in Legion. MoP and WoD had Challenge Mode dungeons, giving gear appearances and weapon appearances, respectively. Of course, the experiences were quite different between Challenge Modes and the Mage Tower.

In that, it was successful. Many people - probably most people - tried it, with a medium-sized group getting a couple appearances, with a very tiny percentage getting every spec's Mage Tower appearance. It's also not really a failure because it wasn't designed, from the start, to be something that every player would get. Nor was it designed to be so difficult that only a tiny percentage would have any appearance from it. With anything in WoW, better gear and knowledge make everything easier.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like that in BfA. It was handled, imo, well. The only complaint I had about it was that some classes had way cooler appearances than others - like druids, with their awesome bear form. Though, pleasing every player is much harder than balancing numbers for Blizzard.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    i strongly disagree with that - mage tower had 1 extemly limiting factor and flaw- uptime

for a lot of people it wasnt a problem to do them - it was to find enough time when they were up.

towers should have been 100 proc of time - you can see now how many people are doing them when they are up 100% time - if they were like this since last year the completion ratio would be completly different.

this is 1 thing blizzard absolutely fucked up and which makes them a flop in eyes of many people and which is why they dont make anything like this in future since it was seen as waste of resources and developement time due to to little participation ratio.

not everybody is living in mommy's basement and had time to do them whenever they were up.
    Hardly that hard. Been abe to do most, months ago while having a fulltime job and family. The mage tower is one of Legions best features imo.

Don't blame blizzard because you suck. Now with the 130+ artifact weapon and the 970 gear.... You can roll your head on the keyboard for most of them... And the only reward is a transmog... And for hunter BM, no thanks, it's ultra ugly, I'm a hunter I don't FIRAH MAH LAZAH. I unlocked it for fun (it was ultra easy when I equiped the right leg...)