Question Help debug Power Supply issue

Hi, Lately my desktop has been experiencing the following problem:
    1. Starting the desktop doesn't work. I have to turn off and then On the switch of the power supply.
    a. Even then the PS starts for a few seconds; the CPU fan (and chassis) starts and then the PS shuts down.
    b. After a second or two the PS starts, the desktop boots and everything is normal. There are no temp issues or anything.
    2. I have observed this behavior happens if I start the desktop after 12-13 hrs of prior shutdown. Starting it before works fine though once it restarted while playing WoW. BIOS temp readings were around 44C for both MB and CPU.

I recently cleaned the interior using compressed air. The PSU is facing down using the bottom air vent. I use the desktop very lightly. Only games I play is WoW and else use it for browsing and youtube. Once the desktop starts I can run it the whole day without any issues. Below is the config:
    • Thermaltake Toughpower TPD-0550M - SLI/ CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Gold Certification and Semi Modular Cables Black Active PFC Power Supply Intel Haswell Ready (PS-TPD-0550MPCGUS-1)
    • ASRock H170M Pro4 LGA 1151 Intel H170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    • MSI Radeon R9 380 R9 380 GAMING 4G 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support ATX Video Card
    • Intel Core i5-6500 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I56500 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530
    • G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Memory Kit Model F4-2133C15D-8GRR

I built this myself about 2.5 yrs back (with suggestions from this forum... ty!!) and would assume it should last another couple of years atleast Any help / pointers are appreciated. Thanks!

You are going at this the wrong way.

If you really think the behavior occurs after a particular time or thing you are doing then try to start the PSU itself only, unplug it and try booting it alone, google how to short the cables to make it boot etc.

What you are saying sounds very much a mobo issue as a PSU issue and especially a BIOS issue, try a fast and easy CMOS reset also.\

I would go with:

CMOS reset fist, recheck 2-3 times, aka 2-3 days.

PSU solo after.

Then you can tell if motherboard or PSU is at fault.

Your CMOS battery may be dying, try testing it or just replace it if you rule out the PSU as per above poster.

reset CMOS. gave it a couple of days but the restarts are still happening. Seems to happen only when WoW is playing. DOn;t have any other games that I can run and check. Is there a way to load the cpu / mb and check at what point its breaking?

- - - Updated - - -

Removed the graphics card and using the inbuilt GPU (which is fucked up as hell.. wow on low settings runs at 25-27 fps) but atleast machine hasn't restarted yet. Any suggestions what I should be doing?

There are some benchmark type things you can download like https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven or https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5462-furmark.html
    You could try to change the PSU and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by palthis View Post
    reset CMOS. gave it a couple of days but the restarts are still happening. Seems to happen only when WoW is playing. DOn;t have any other games that I can run and check. Is there a way to load the cpu / mb and check at what point its breaking?

- - - Updated - - -

Removed the graphics card and using the inbuilt GPU (which is fucked up as hell.. wow on low settings runs at 25-27 fps) but atleast machine hasn't restarted yet. Any suggestions what I should be doing?
    Clarification: Does it restart when you launch WoW, or a hour after/or during heavy load?

Try to find a spare PSU from a friend or something and recheck so you wont buy a new one and it might be something else, but it sounds 99% PSU if the PC restarts itself and no other problems like driver crashes or artifacts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by palthis View Post
    Good advice from all, Furmark as suggested by Denpepe is a GPU power hog and will load it further than any game. I'd be inclined towards PSU as well, but I would reseat the GPU and try other PCI-E power cables if available (though I see it came with 2 and those are in your GPU).

I've seen this issue with an Enermax modular, and was a result of a fault in the PSU backplane (where the modular sockets attach to) rather than the PSU itself. This was identified because it was a more powerful unit and so had 4(6+2) PCI-E connectors + spare PCI-E cables and only one socket was bad, was within warranty and was RMA'd. I powered his kit from a spare PSU to establish it was a PSU fault to start with though.

Do you switch the PSU off when the PC is not in use, either at the wall or the back of the PSU? Asking because some of the description in the OP (less so your later posts)suggests CMOS battery as Denpepe has already suggested.

TY much everyone!! Will try to obtain another PSU and check

Quote Originally Posted by DonGenaro View Post
    Do you switch the PSU off when the PC is not in use, either at the wall or the back of the PSU? Asking because some of the description in the OP (less so your later posts)suggests CMOS battery as Denpepe has already suggested.
    I have never switched off the PSU. Just the shutdown on the OS. I have a spare 2032 battery in hand. Should I try replacing that first?

Update: changed the PSU to a EVGA 500W and seems to have been the culprit. GPU temps were going up to 65C+ but a few fan adjustments bring it down to 50-55C range.

Ty everyone for helping with this!