Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Wait for blizzard to needlessly change and fuck with said class until it barely resembles the play style you fell in love with and then pick something that doesn't suck instead.

Pre-patch is the perfect time to choose a new main.

I wish you could merge chars if they are the same class. Combine 2 chars into one to bundle avs, reps and more.
    Dying could endanger your health!

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to be heartless about it, you could always delete the old one. But that's heartless. Also known as FotM. Same thing.

Abandoning toons is painful. You love your Warrior more than you love your DH. Maybe you shouldn't leave it behind. I've had the same main for 12 years and I have no intention of ever changing. I play every class, but I love my Hunter the most and she will never not be my main.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

There were only two times I switched mains:

I went from mage to shaman when I realized I enjoyed healing WAY more than DPS, and then again when they released the monk when I realized I preferred their playstyle to the shaman. I've been a monk ever since.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    If you hit yourself in the nuts with a hammer and decide you don't like it, do you keep on doing it because hey you used to do it before?
    I just gave that a go.

So, yes.

Oof.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryke of the Wolverines View Post
    No, really.

HOW?!
    On the character select screen mouse over the character you want to make your main, to the right of their name up/down arrows will appear, click the up arrow until the character is at the top of the list.

The answer lies in the question, why do you choose a different character to put the most amount of effort and time into?
    The guild needs a tank or healer?
    Doing more PvP next expansion and fancy going from a melee to a ranged class?
    If you`re the kind of person who wants to help fulfill certain needs for your guild, then you might not really be able
    to afford having a "main" that will hold your interest over three/four/five years, as the needs of the guild might change over time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the exact opposite problem: I've never been able to play a "main" for more than a raid tier or two before I get bored and move on.

No, really.

HOW?!

It’s not like I haven’t tried.
    Simple. You don't change your main. Main is a main, no matter what happens. You picked the class as your own and stick to it. Through good and bad. (Damn, that sounds like marriage vows). Anyway, main is one and only. Changing mains is nothing more than lousy FOTM re-rollers. Oh, I already hear those cries. Sad but true - if you can't stay with your pick it means you don't play for the class - you play for the numbers and pick whatever provides the highest.

I don't include new class additions to the game. It's hard to decide which class suits you best when you don't have access to every option when making decision (DK, Monk, DH). But even then it's rather straightforward - tou picked a class at the start of a game, maybe rolled few more to see how they handle. At some point decision had to be made - what to level first. This is your main.

Back in BC I made 2 Druids - Horde and Alliance (in that order) and gave them 10 levels before I decide which will live and which will be deleted. I created Paladin and Hunter as well but considered them as alts. I picked Druid as a main class, fate decided that Alliance one won. She is my main character ever since.

This is the first one to experience new content, first one to do achievements and reputations. First to get the gear. Over the years I made a collection of all 12 classes so when I'm in a mood I simply pick what I want to play with. But always considered Druid as main and nothing had changed that.

But you have to have some spine to stick with your pick. People who re-roll every expansion or even mid expansion due to "class being broken" are way too soft in my eyes.

No, really.

HOW?!

With Legion, I finally got the chance to play the class I wanted to play since I started World of Warcraft. I really like being a demon hunter, and enjoyed it for a few months before...

Before crawling back to my 2.4-rolled first character, my warrior.

While my relationship with my fel-ridden, glaive-wielding, Infernal-striking dominatrix was new, fun, exciting and attractive, I couldn’t help folding and returning to what I knew. My warrior has been moody, it’s changed with time and has occasionally been abusive, but it just feels so familiar to me. It feels safe.

And while I now know I have the strength of shit-smeared wet toilet paper, perhaps my warrior is what I deserve. Perhaps this comfortable safety net is right for me. Perhaps ‘new’ and ‘exciting’ is for younger, hipper guys.

Slow and steady wins the race, after all.
    I always think you are better off playing a class you know (and can play) really well than picking a class because it has been performing better.

I guess it depends on what you plan to run as well. If your goal is Mythic realm first (or to be in the running), then you might have to go for performance. For the rest- it probably doesn't matter much.

I have a similar problem- I always try to pick a new main for the upcoming x-pac. It last a couple of months then somehow I wind up tanking on my druid again.... I kind of like it though and it seems like the role this game has designated for me so I guess I am stuck with it.

Hated the changes to Pally in wrath jumped to DK, Liked monk more than DK in pandaria and jumped to that, liked shadow priest more than monk in WoD and stuck with it.

You play whats fun, chaining yourself to something you dont enjoy is a recipe for burnout. Its not like you are deleting them and a patch could make them fun again so its not like turning your back on them forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Honestly, there's nothing that could make me change my main. Too many memories, too many achievements, too many grinds. I really can't. HALP.
    I feel exactly the same with my shaman

I think its nearly impossible for people who got pvp glad mounts, especially the old ones.

its literally the only thing that binds you to a character
    Last edited by Nuba; 2018-07-05 at 12:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ceall View Post
    It's easy: whatever is my main is the first character shown on my character list before logging in.
    Whenever I have a new main, I just switch that up to the top.
    this. /10luls

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nuba View Post
    I think its nearly impossible for people who got pvp glad mounts, especially the old ones.
    dunno how mounts can make you forget about a potentionally shitty class

Quote Originally Posted by saidolol View Post
    dunno how mounts can make you forget about a potentionally shitty class
    thats because you never got one then.
    the effort to get one is pretty high, and you'll never be able to use it on other characters, its (afaik) the only character-specific thing in the entire game.
    literally the only RPG-ish thing in wow, despite the irony of being a pvp-only thing

excluding arena stuff (mounts and titles), everything you get on wow is account wide.
    its a roleplaying game where you don't roleplay as your character. you can have 10 recently-maxed warriors and they will all be the exact same:
    -same transmog (accountwide mogs)
    -same mounts (accountwide mounts)
    -same titles (accountwide titles)
    the character is not "you" in any RPG-form of explanation, the account is "you", so people who feel like they're bound to their characters in world of warcraft just confuse me.

When I mentioned arena pvp rewards (mounts and titles) binding you to a character, is because only that character can have those things and not the entire account. it is a "story to be told", literally the only thing in-game that represents an effort that you had in a specific character. I don't know if that is necessarily a good thing or not, because sometimes I even though about switching mains but the knowledge that I'll never be able to use those mounts on other characters makes me feel like part of "my character" goes away if I switch mains.

Class design has been in flux for a very long time now, so it's pretty easy to bounce around from one expansion to the next. If you find yourself going back to something you used to play, odds are it's because your new class doesn't hold much long term entertainment.

No, really.

HOW?!

With Legion, I finally got the chance to play the class I wanted to play since I started World of Warcraft. I really like being a demon hunter, and enjoyed it for a few months before...

Before crawling back to my 2.4-rolled first character, my warrior.

While my relationship with my fel-ridden, glaive-wielding, Infernal-striking dominatrix was new, fun, exciting and attractive, I couldn’t help folding and returning to what I knew. My warrior has been moody, it’s changed with time and has occasionally been abusive, but it just feels so familiar to me. It feels safe.

And while I now know I have the strength of shit-smeared wet toilet paper, perhaps my warrior is what I deserve. Perhaps this comfortable safety net is right for me. Perhaps ‘new’ and ‘exciting’ is for younger, hipper guys.

Slow and steady wins the race, after all.
    Just be happy you have a main some us main a class for 1 month reroll 1 month reroll until end of xpac and have nothing to show for

The problem I have with alts is aligned also to my completionist mentality. It’s hard to log on to a character after all these years of playing and them not have all the benefits, in terms of quests, exploration and reputations. It feels sort of a hollow experience compared to my main. Not Blizzard’s fault but I certainly understand where the OP is coming from. When I play my Druid I see the history of my time in the game, everything exalted, everything explored and quests done (well nearly everything...). It’s like having a massive project that you decide to start afresh on. Very hard. And very hard for me to get attached to alts.