Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Cant wait for the movie about this event.

just drill through the rocks. or use dynamite on the top of the cave.. blow it up and then just lower a rope to let them climb out. easy peasy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    just drill through the rocks. or use dynamite on the top of the cave.. blow it up and then just lower a rope to let them climb out. easy peasy.
    No..... that just mean's they'll be crushed to death by debris instead of drowning, not much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unrelated to this specific case, but once i went to a park that has a huge cave complex inside it. When talking to the park guide, he told me a history of 2 explorers who died exploring one of the caves due to a river that passes trough it flooding in a matter of second, filling a pocket of air that was located above the place the explorers were with water, destroying it and killing them. The weather near the cave was clean and there were no chances of raining in the area that day, but near the spring of the river that crosses the cave, there was a huge storm one day before, and the river carried all the water from this storm to the cave.
    Last edited by igualitarist; 2018-07-06 at 07:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Four months assume that this is a mediocre monsoon season and the cave doesn't flood anyway.
    True, however it’s currently the best option.
    They need to continue to train the boys on diving in case the chamber begins to fill with the monsoons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Deleted
    If they survive some of them will sell books about "special" experiences made in ~20-40years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    They need to continue to train the boys on diving in case the chamber begins to fill with the monsoons.
    It won't help but ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

I'm a recreational diver myself, but cave diving is the most dangerous form of diving there is. If something happens, you can't make an emergency ascend, because you have a ceiling above you. Add to that the zero visibility and underwater dismounting/mounting of equipment, and there's no way a crash course in diving will see those kids out.

I'd say, spend a few days to amass a huge collection of pumps, and pump that sucker dry. Yes it's a metric shit ton of water, but you have time.

Deleted
    How do they still have air? Surely they consumed all the oxygen in the air pocket by now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    I don't think it can fill any further. The cave is now an air pocket and the water doesn't have the pressure to counter the air pressure in the cave.

However, they can't stay there forever. Eventually they would have breathed all the oxygen and turned it into CO2.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultraxion View Post
    How do they still have air? Surely they consumed all the oxygen in the air pocket by now.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think it can fill any further. The cave is now an air pocket and the water doesn't have the pressure to counter the air pressure in the cave.

However, they can't stay there forever. Eventually they would have breathed all the oxygen and turned it into CO2.
    They probably didn't have much air left (no idea how big the pocket really is, could be quite a vast space). According to the reports, the diver that died today was delivering oxygen.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    Been following it for days. It's quite the story.
    Iirc, the dive takes 3 hours each way for professionals. The other options seem to be either wait it out for months or open new ways through the rocks.
    Each option has massive risks. But they seem to have a good chance to make it out.
    What drives my attention the most is that the kids always appear smiling in the pictures.
    Thailand is called land of the smiles

I've been following this as well.
    I know nothing about diving (I can't even swim properly), and if that picture in OP is correct then their best bet would be to start diving. If insane amount of water starts pouring in and the whole cave gets flooded, in that case it might be too late to start diving lessons.
    EDIT: Just read an experienced diver died. Guess the navy seal was right about some kids will die if they attempt to dive. And on top of that he was delivering oxygen so they are running out of air.

I was driving in Thailand in March this year and got hit by rain. Man I come from a country where it often rains, but I've never seen this much rain, and it was not even a rain season! It was pouring so hard I could not see 3 meters in front of me.
    I do have an idea the hell everyone involved here is going through.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    As someone with a Thai parent, once these boys are reunited with theirs and the tears of joy are all cried out, those kids are going to get their asses kicked.
    Lol, I'm not Thai but this reminds me of my own childhood XD

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    โค้ทเอกเป็นคนเดียวที่ไม่มีญาติ มารอรับหน้าถ้ำ พ่อแม่เสียหมดใช้ชีวิตอยู่กับตา ยาย...โอ้ยอยากไปรับเด้เหลือโตนคั ก
    This is close to you.
    Time to get out there and start drilling
    Last edited by Strawberry; 2018-07-06 at 08:29 AM.

About the air question. The special forces are bringing in air in bottles. One diver died today on his way back after delivering new fresh air.

Deleted
    i don't understand why they don't just get a rope long enough tie it at each end of the cave and then they can just pull themselves along it with a skilled diver following.

they can just have the scuba tank trailing along behind the boy with a mask on.

One of the Thai navy SEALs just died, he was delivering oxygen tanks and one the way back he ran out of air. What a horrible way to go.

RIP

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Tragic story. This could take a while...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    โค้ทเอกเป็นคนเดียวที่ไม่มีญาติ มารอรับหน้าถ้ำ พ่อแม่เสียหมดใช้ชีวิตอยู่กับตา ยาย...โอ้ยอยากไปรับเด้เหลือโตนคั ก
    I mean i Gt it "Coat of Arms is the only one with no relative. Come to the cave. My parents are living with my eyes. I'm sorry to hear that." , soooooo what does it mean ?

Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    A former Thai Navy SEAL participating in the rescue effort at Tham Luang cave has died during the effort to rescue the 12 boys and their coach because of a lack of oxygen, according to Thai authorities.
    Such a shame. Hopefully there are no other casualties.

Cheers

Extremely technical dive in low-visibility (almost nil by all accounts) conditions, I don't see many of the kids surviving that trip. Cave diving is dangerous even in normal situations, inexperienced and malnourished children won't be able to do it, even with 2 handlers per child.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Watch out for the fat one, he might crap treasure.
    That made me giggle Although they should be more afraid of Manbearpig surely?

Caught up with the thread. Feel bad for giggling. RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zwiggy View Post
    i don't understand why they don't just get a rope long enough tie it at each end of the cave and then they can just pull themselves along it with a skilled diver following.

they can just have the scuba tank trailing along behind the boy with a mask on.
    Because they're kids not trained scuba divers. The fact this happened should help