Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultraxion View Post
    How do they still have air? Surely they consumed all the oxygen in the air pocket by now.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think it can fill any further. The cave is now an air pocket and the water doesn't have the pressure to counter the air pressure in the cave.

However, they can't stay there forever. Eventually they would have breathed all the oxygen and turned it into CO2.
    It really depends on what type of rock the cave is made out of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    What drives my attention the most is that the kids always appear smiling in the pictures.
    It could be the faces they make when they're scared.
    https://pics.me.me/frightened-the-so...o-29942793.png

Quote Originally Posted by zwiggy View Post
    i don't understand why they don't just get a rope long enough tie it at each end of the cave and then they can just pull themselves along it with a skilled diver following.

they can just have the scuba tank trailing along behind the boy with a mask on.
    They have that.

A lot of the problem is its NOT all flooded and not really swimmable easily. There are big climbs you have to make, along with one place that is so small (and also underwater) you have to remove breathing gear, hold your breath, and then reattach breathing gear (then clear it of the water to use it again) and continue. That's hard for certified divers, let alone kids that can't even swim.

Quote Originally Posted by zwiggy View Post
    i don't understand why they don't just get a rope long enough tie it at each end of the cave and then they can just pull themselves along it with a skilled diver following.

they can just have the scuba tank trailing along behind the boy with a mask on.
    The dives are difficult even for expert divers, one of the rescuers died today and he was an adult and an ex-Navy SEAL (Thai Navy). Here's the current proposal:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44695232

So effectively they will be on lines, but being pulled through the water by the experienced divers with the tanks. So that's essentially what you're suggesting but better because there's someone under there with them in case anything happens.

That scenario is currently being considered a last resort because even this is extremely dangerous. As today's death indicates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/05/a...ntl/index.html

Looks like they're going to die due to lack of oxygen.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The biggest problem with trying to get them out is that if you put a person who doesn't know how to swim underwater, with no visibility and confined spaces, they tend to panic. And panic in a scenario like that can not only kill the child, but the professional divers supporting him as well.

Given a trained diver just died trying to help setup the air bottles to get the kids out it is going to be challenging to get those kids out of there safely. I pray for the best but if their cavern is starting to get stale air I am not sure they are going to last long enough for any viable rescue plan to be implemented. They are probably going to be forced to try the swim them out plan and you are probably going to lose some of the kids in that attempt maybe many of them.

Elon Musk says he's sending engineers to help trapped Thai soccer team
    Elon Musk says he is sending engineers from two of his companies to Thailand to see if they can help bring out the members of a youth soccer team trapped in a flooded cave.

Musk tweeted the announcement after another Twitter user pleaded for him to help the 12 boys and their coach, who have been underground for almost two weeks.
    Hi sir, if possible can you assist in anyway to get the 12 Thailand boys and their coach out of the cave. @elonmusk

— MabzMagz (@MabzMagz) July 3, 2018
    In a series of tweets, Musk said his Boring Co, which digs tunnels for advanced transport systems, has advanced ground penetrating radar, and brainstormed that an air tunnel constructed with soft tubing like a Bouncy Castle could provide flexible passage out.
    SpaceX & Boring Co engineers headed to Thailand tomorrow to see if we can be helpful to govt. There are probably many complexities that are hard to appreciate without being there in person.

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) July 6, 2018
    He said engineers from his Boring Co and SpaceX companies needed to be on site to appreciate the complexities of evacuation. There has been no immediate official reaction to his plans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    just drill through the rocks. or use dynamite on the top of the cave.. blow it up and then just lower a rope to let them climb out. easy peasy.
    Yes... that's how it works. It is like minecraft were debris does not exist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    SNIP
    Also there is one narrow part were the diver has to detach his own bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It’s not like they can take bottles of air to them or anything...
    The question is can they bring enough bottles of air to them rapidly enough. They just lost a diver due to the air quality is deteriorating. The trip takes place of over 1km through caves/water/tunnels. They can't just push a pallet of air canisters to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Lol, I'm not Thai but this reminds me of my own childhood XD
    Seeing a rescuer die makes me a bit hostile towards these kids, but yeah... if I did this, my mom would be all, "Why you so stupid? You almost die! I KILL YOU!!"
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

I know it sounds kind of obvious but can't they just drill a tiny hole and feed a line down with oxygen to fill the cavern or resupply oxygen tanks?

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/05/a...ntl/index.html

Looks like they're going to die due to lack of oxygen.
    Five hours to get to the boys? They must be using rebreather.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just confused as to how -anyone- thought it was a good idea to crawl several miles into a cave that gets so tight that you can't even have a backpack on.

At no point nobody went "Nuh uh."?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm just confused as to how -anyone- thought it was a good idea to crawl several miles into a cave that gets so tight that you can't even have a backpack on.

Careful now, someone will come and say you think they deserve to die because you point out how idiotic it is to do that.

10+ Year Old Account

To avoid prying eyes.

It is vital for the ritual, the thai boys enters the nest to undergo a transformation and reemerge as ladyboys.

They should not have disturbed the ritual so early, atleast not befoure they had eaten the genitals off eachother.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    I know it sounds kind of obvious but can't they just drill a tiny hole and feed a line down with oxygen to fill the cavern or resupply oxygen tanks?
    I doubt the country of Thailand even has the equipment to drill through a mile of a mountain, not to mention the time it would take to set up the drilling site on top of a jungle+mud covered mountain. I think it would be much easier to feed a hose through the existing cave system instead of drilling. But that is all guessing.

There is very little info to really assess anything reasonably. One of the things that came to my mind first after I heard the news is that they should sedate the kids one by one and put them (also one by one) in elastic watertight "bags" equipped with CO2 absorbers on the inside and a tube slowly feeding air to the bag from a diving tank. Then have 2 diver teams act as if they were transporting a small corpse from the cave to the surface.
    I doubt that nobody thought about this over there so probably there is a reason why they aren't doing it already.
    Last edited by stevenho; 2018-07-07 at 02:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    I doubt the country of Thailand even has the equipment to drill through a mile of a mountain, not to mention the time it would take to set up the drilling site on top of a jungle+mud covered mountain. I think it would be much easier to feed a hose through the existing cave system instead of drilling. But that is all guessing.

There is very little info to really assess anything reasonably. One of the things that came to my mind first after I heard the news is that they should sedate the kids one by one and put them (also one by one) in elastic watertight "bags" equipped with CO2 absorbers on the inside and a tube slowly feeding air to the bag from a diving tank. Then have 2 diver teams act as if they were transporting a small corpse from the cave to the surface.
    I doubt that nobody thought about this over there so probably there is a reason why they aren't doing it already.
    It's incredibly tiring recovering bodies, now imagine recovering a body that you technically can't damage because they will die. There is a reason why bodies are often left in extreme areas, the effort will likely kill the rescuers.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    It's incredibly tiring recovering bodies, now imagine recovering a body that you technically can't damage because they will die. There is a reason why bodies are often left in extreme areas, the effort will likely kill the rescuers.
    I'm no expert on this but I've seen a few pieces of news on cave divers' body retrievals. I noticed some of them used some propelling devices that pulled them ahead without them having to do much.

It might be they were forced deeper to escape the flood waters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    I've seen a few pieces of news on cave divers' body retriev I noticed some of them used some propelling devices that pulled them ahead without them having to do much.
    It's probably too tight for that sort of equipment.