Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Boost services good income?

Has anyone ever gotten rich by selling boosts to lowbies in classic?

10+ Year Old Account
    There were probably better ways to get rich in Vanilla. I was not rich in Vanilla, lol.

I don't remember hearing about boosts, but I'm guessing they happened on a limited basis. It's been awhile. Even if it wasn't, in the current culture, it will probably become a thing.
    Last edited by Nemah; 2018-07-10 at 06:39 PM.

Deleted
    Ye like lets say sm arm boost for 15g/run +you get all the trash loot.

Boosts weren't easy gold/money back in Vanilla like we have in Legion.

There was gold selling/leveling services, but they weren't really offered by mainstream players -- rather by foreign sellers using bots/automation.

When Classic re-releases, it may be a thing. But it wasn't really a big thing back in 2004-2006.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosteye View Post
    Boosts weren't easy gold/money back in Vanilla like we have in Legion.

There was gold selling/leveling services, but they weren't really offered by mainstream players -- rather by foreign sellers using bots/automation.

When Classic re-releases, it may be a thing. But it wasn't really a big thing back in 2004-2006.
    I meant that you boost someone lets say some twink through sm arm and charge 15gold for it per run, ofc you will need decent gear for it at 60 to make it smooth.
    Last edited by mmocc2c6d2cfbf; 2018-07-10 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthor89 View Post
    From what I've heard some people would illegaly sell boosts for real money back in Vanilla. I don't know details but I've heard stories about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't sell boost at in classic, if people were able to be there, they could. In raids we usually had room for 4-6 strangers.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2018-07-10 at 06:57 PM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I meant that you boost someone lets say some twink through sm arm and charge 15gold for it per run, ofc you will need decent gear for it at 60 to make it smooth.
    I mean I guess it could be a thing, I just don't see a huge demand for it. I never saw anything like this back in 2004-2006.

Most twinks back then would either run through the instances themselves with a group, or get a friend/guildy to run them through.

Boosts for gold/USD *may* have happened on occasion back in Vanilla, but you almost never heard about it. Unlike Legion where you can't walk 5 feet without someone /yelling about WTS BOOST WTS BOOST.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't think it was as prominent back then simply because a lot of gear was always useful, and raid content came out fairly often compared to today (well, about similar to Legion). There were pieces in MC that were still BiS or very good even at the end. Keep in mind you had to gear 40 people in an era where bosses dropped 2-4 pieces of loot, so chances are people needed shit always.

I still remember people doing boosts in MC/BWL, they pretty much paid for the experience and anything that raiders didn't want.

Boosting, or the culture of it really wasn't a huge thing back then. Sure you could pay high level people to run your characters through leveling up dungeons, but that was about the extent of it. Most boosts were done by bots leveling or farming gold for you, at least that's how I remember it.

Gold was hard to make in Vanilla, but aside from some big time expenses (epic mount), gold really wasn't that useful. When classic servers come up, the prospect of not having another expansion to look forward to kinda makes the whole process of making gold kinda pointless. There wasn't much you really needed to buy aside from consumables and repair costs. A couple crafted items were really good, but that's about it, outside of that there was nothing remotely good to spend your gold on. There were no mount drops in raid aside from ZG (which both had low chances) and pets almost exclusively came from outside as well. Just not really sure what the point of gold was, and it never occurred to me that I even remotely needed it in Vanilla aside from the epic mount.

The richest people on my server back then were those that had monopolies on the world bosses and were lucky enough to get that rare pattern from LBRS. There was one caster chest, and two crafted plate pieces that were incredibly powerful. The drops were incredibly rare and I remember only one guy on our server Horde side could make the belt and he made people pay a premium for it.

On private servers it was fairly common, but it pays way less than you might think. It's great if you sell aoe leveling and the likes to people who want alts fast.

Now boosting WSG wins and the like, that was expensive.

Elite enemies even 20 levels below may still kick your ass so you can't just pull the whole dungeon and aoe it like nowadays, so it won't be very effective and it would be much better to just grind mobs for felcloth and shit.

We sold boosts through MC, BWL, AQ40 and those who needed to finish Atiesh in Naxx and earned a nice amount of gold. I can’t recall anyone selling boosts to lowbies. Gold was very scarce in vanilla and lowbies couldn’t really afford to offer enough of gold to make it worthwhile for a lvl 60 to boost someone. There were a lot of free boosting though.

Ye like lets say sm arm boost for 15g/run +you get all the trash loot.
    I don't think you understand how/why boosts exist. It's all about cost versus reward. In Legion I passively make a million gold a month from follower missions, so if I couldn't do a +15 on my own, paying 100-150k would be no big deal. For one thing, I would get the big reward for doing just one a week (since it's the end of week chest that is the real value) and even if I did it every week it would still only be about half my total income.

But SM armory in vanilla? It's not very rewarding and I would need to run it many times to get any value out of it. Add to that the fact that 15g for a single run would be a huge percentage of monthly income for someone not doing higher end content and it does not seem realistic at all. It would take way less time just to find a group to run SM armory with no cost than it would take to make the 15g to pay for a 'boost'.

The people I knew who were 'rich' in vanilla made money through crafting rare recipes. There was a warrior in Nurfed who for a long time was the only one who had the patterns for the helm and gauntlets that every other warrior wanted and he did the crafting for 50g a pop. He was the only one I knew of who could afford to respec twice a week so he could tank for his raid and pvp the rest of the time.

I would guess that when classic launches, there will be some raids selling boosts since you can easily carry dead weight in the 40 but I don't think boosting dungeons will be any kind of regular thing.

I bought some dungeon runs during TBC and WotLK as I recall, for getting my tradeskill alts up to speed faster. I'd say there is always going to be a market for a max level to run someone half their level through a buncha dungeons.

I guess the price varied, perhaps like 50g-100g per run in WotLK, less in TBC, which may translate to like 5-10g in Vanilla if you perform reverse inflation.

Well the recipients were overwhelmed by making some money doing simple low level instances. They believed it was good income, even though it was really just pocket change to me. To each their own, but there are better ways to earn money.

Deleted
    i don't recall ever seeing any boosts being sold in vanilla.

though. i do recall people helping each other gear twinks for low level PvP. but that was more of a "you scratch my back, i'll scratch yours" kind of thing. rather then people offering the service for gold, or requesting the service for gold.

i guess back then gold wasn't really that much of a driving force as it is today.

with things like achievements and mounts it became more lucrative to sell guaranteed boss kills for gold.

Boosts exist now because gold is abundant. Gold was hard to get so lowbies didn't have much in classic. Really gold wasn't made very well until you reached cap. There won't be enough demand because there isn't enough gold inflation to pay for it.

I remember buying a run to MC with the top guild on my server when I was a fresh dinged 60 (had a lot of gold from playing AH). Raiding wasn't yet commonplace and I was afraid of messing up, so I paid my way to some rogue gear.

I ended up joining that guild and raiding with them funnily enough. But yes, I remember quite a few guild running boosts for money in raids where people would pay a base amount to enter and then bid on items if the other being boosted wanted the item as well (obviously the guild would not really need anything from these raids by that point except for bindings etc-).

In vanilla if I recall correctly, typically a high level would be boosting their friend, and fill the rest of the group as it'd have no negative effect on xp gains. It'd be agreed upon that all BOE's that the high lvl wants is his, and that'd be his "income"

No because your average lowbie will have 1-10g. They're not gonna want to give you 5g to run Deadmines.

GDKP runs to non-current raid content are a thing on PServers though.

If you want to get rich, farm herbs
    Last edited by Gavll; 2018-07-11 at 11:02 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    With nowadays mentality people will sell atunements aka dungeons runs (as they did back then but on a lower scale) the same way they sell m+ on live.