Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Blizzard Under DDoS Attack

Blizzard is once again facing DDoS attacks which is currently affecting all of its game servers and as a result, no one is able to play any of their games let alone Overwatch.

This time around, the DDoS attack started off with creating login issues for Blizzard players. This is something that happens whenever more IP addresses try to login to the server. As a result, the server starts taking the load and randomly starts disconnecting users from the server.

Quote Originally Posted by CatsNeverDie View Post
    Blizzard is once again facing DDoS attacks which is currently affecting all of its game servers and as a result, no one is able to play any of their games let alone Overwatch.

This time around, the DDoS attack started off with creating login issues for Blizzard players. This is something that happens whenever more IP addresses try to login to the server. As a result, the server starts taking the load and randomly starts disconnecting users from the server.
    Do people just randomly throw around DDoS these days? I highly doubt this happened and why did you feel the need to explain what you think it is? Upping post count?

Signature Created by Jassinta

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Do people just randomly throw around DDoS these days? I highly doubt this happened and why did you feel the need to explain what you think it is? Upping post count?
    I don't get why they do it either, especially after that one guy who DDoS'd them got slammed in a court case. Do these morons really think, "Meh, I'm not dumb enough to get caught!"?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    This was happening last night to the WoW beta and live servers. After disconnecting there was like a 45min wait time to get back in. Live for me continued to have severe lag while beta performed more or less slightly under par with some delays and lag not typical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    Considering Blizzard themselves said it was a DDoS attack, you might wanna cut back on your snippy, judgey attitude. https://twitter.com/BlizzardCS/statu...88335960875008

Quote Originally Posted by Ryken View Post
    Considering Blizzard themselves said it was a DDoS attack, you might wanna cut back on your snippy, judgey attitude. https://twitter.com/BlizzardCS/statu...88335960875008
    Well, you may want to read the tweet more closely. It says a DDoS attack against service providers, NOT against Blizz themselves. As such, it would not be impacting every game like the OP states.

In so far as your comments about my post, you are correct, this time. It was a DDoS attack, though not against Blizz, however, my statement still stands. People are constantly touting Blizz being the target of a DDoS attack because they're getting some lag in game. Just search the forums and you'll see it's true.

Well, you may want to read the tweet more closely. It says a DDoS attack against service providers, NOT against Blizz themselves. As such, it would not be impacting every game like the OP states.

In so far as your comments about my post, you are correct, this time. It was a DDoS attack, though not against Blizz, however, my statement still stands. People are constantly touting Blizz being the target of a DDoS attack because they're getting some lag in game. Just search the forums and you'll see it's true.
    Retract once again. You clearly have no idea what the fuck "attack on our service providers" means. Just admit you were unnecessarily being an ass and move on.

For context. You do realize what will happen if Blizzard's service providers are attacked, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Greathoudini View Post
    Retract once again. You clearly have no idea what the fuck "attack on our service providers" means.
    The tweet says this: We are currently monitoring a DDOS attack against network providers which is affecting latency/connections to our games.

Where in that statement do you see the words "on our"?

The statement is clearly saying an attack is taking place on network providers and that is causing customers of those providers to have issues connecting to Blizz game servers.

You linked a tweet that says this: We are currently monitoring a DDOS attack against network providers which is affecting latency/connections to our games.

Where in that statement do you see the words "on our"?
    So you think Blizz has connections with other internet providers from around the US and Canada, hey?

Look, let's just treat you the way you're trying to treat others here.

You're a cunt. Fuck off.

That usually means they were targeting Blizzards hosting addresses through the ISP centers. It's not like everyone's ISPs were completely down. It was a targeted attack.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    That usually means they were targeting Blizzards hosting addresses through the ISP centers. It's not like everyone's ISPs were completely down. It was a targeted attack.
    You may be correct but if that were the case, I personally would have said: We are currently monitoring a network attack against OUR servers. They never use the word our to indicate they are being attacked. They only mention that people are having connection issues with their games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    A lot of the WoW playerbase auth nodes were getting slammed last night around 1-5AM CST

I think the auth nodes linked to ISP's such as Time Warner/etc were being forcibly taken offline due to heavy traffic that they normally wouldn't get - people on some ISP's wouldn't have issues because the backbone wouldn't affect those ISP's

DDOS attacks don't normally last long due to the nature of the attack, but it all depends on what botnot is in use, and what level of intrusion is in play from the controller

You may be correct but if that were the case, I personally would have said: We are currently monitoring a network attack against OUR servers. They never use the word our to indicate they are being attacked. They only mention that people are having connection issues with their games.
    Yeah, Blizzard is usually pretty deflecting when it comes to this stuff. It seems they never want to directly state it's their problem.

Yeah, Blizzard is usually pretty deflecting when it comes to this stuff. It seems they never want to directly state it's their problem.
    As I'm learning from this thread, there are actually idiots out there that this tactic works on.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    As I'm learning from this thread, there are actually idiots out there that this tactic works on.
    It is easy to fall into the trap of judging blizzard as a whole by some of their design decisions, many of which seem to have been made by people who don't play the game or the area of the game they are changing.

Once you get away from that area, I find blizzard to be very, very sharp in perception management and marketing.

Changing the object of the ddos attack to our providers (third parties, not blizzard, etc.) rather than our servers (us, blizzard) only has upside for them, and the opposite only has downside. The truth is irrelevant - that presumably these were attacks against servers exclusively used for blizzard traffid?
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    It is easy to fall into the trap of judging blizzard as a whole by some of their design decisions, many of which seem to have been made by people who don't play the game or the area of the game they are changing.

Once you get away from that area, I find blizzard to be very, very sharp in perception management and marketing.
    Agreed. When it comes down to it, Blizzard handles these types of issues pretty well. In comparison, I've dealt with much worse companies over the past so many years of gaming. Blizzard is successful for good reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium

A big takeaway here is that people aren't understanding how the attack is made, and how this may only affect certain people. People always think blizzard is the front line, when in fact blizzard has many pipes and many backup servers running together to make sure stuff stays online.. Just because one ISP is affected, doesn't mean all services are down. If a server goes offline, it doesn't mean all servers go offline.. same thing. People have to understand that the blizzard structure is much more complex than "Oh it's just your fault blizzard" type shit I see on the forums

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed. When it comes down to it, Blizzard handles these types of issues pretty well. In comparison, I've dealt with much worse companies over the past so many years of gaming. Blizzard is successful for good reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    A big takeaway here is that people aren't understanding how the attack is made, and how this may only affect certain people. People always think blizzard is the front line, when in fact blizzard has many pipes and many backup servers running together to make sure stuff stays online.. Just because one ISP is affected, doesn't mean all services are down. If a server goes offline, it doesn't mean all servers go offline.. same thing. People have to understand that the blizzard structure is much more complex than "Oh it's just your fault blizzard" type shit I see on the forums
    To be fair, blizzard has occasionally taken active, deliberate steps to encourage an image of institutional incompetence. Who doesn't remember blue saying they didn't have the server code for classic wow anymore? Anyone knowing the business even a little would realize just how gross a level of cock-up they were claiming to have committed (no secure version backup service? didn't pay the monthly storage bill? lost the floppies?), and not seeming very bothered by it (it was a lie, of course).
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2018-07-09 at 09:59 PM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

To be fair, blizzard has occasionally taken active, deliberate steps to encourage an image of institutional incompetence. Who doesn't remember blue saying they didn't have the server code for classic wow anymore? Anyone knowing the business even a little would realize just how gross a level of cock-up they were claiming to have committed (no secure version backup service? didn't pay the monthly storage bill? lost the floppies?), and not seeming very bothered by it (it was a lie, of course).
    Oh yeah they've definitely had their fuck ups. It's things like that that led them down the road to having more indirect responses. I'd imagine everything the blues and other PR team does is supposed to be discussed beforehand and then replied to properly, but it seems there were times when someones boss was in the bathroom lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yeah they've definitely had their fuck ups. It's things like that that led them down the road to having more indirect responses. I'd imagine everything the blues and other PR team does is supposed to be discussed beforehand and then replied to properly, but it seems there were times when someones boss was in the bathroom lol.
    the bad part of that was it was a lie (no server code, dog ate it!) just to try to put a stop to the classic server demands some years ago.

Maybe they would prefer their customers think them dumb and incompetent rather than manipulative and avaricious (which I think is much closer to the truth, at least with design decisions and paid services). I can see a really good argument for that being preferable, actually.