Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Todd howard: 'if you want us to stop releasing skyrim ports, stop buying them'

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/...op-buying-them

Bethesda boss Todd Howard says "millions of people every month" still play Skyrim, and "that's why [Bethesda] will keep releasing it."

Skyrim ports have become a bit of a running joke of late, and even Bethesda is in on it, going so far as to make a spoof commercial starring Keegan-Michael Keys playing the RPG on the Amazon Echo, which turned out to be real and is even playable on your smart toilet.

Howard addressed the social media in-joke in an interview with Geoff Keighley at Gamelab, Barcelona, saying:

"Even now, the amount of people who play Skyrim seven years later; millions of people every month are playing that game," he said, via GamesIndustry.biz. "That's why we keep releasing it. If you want us to stop releasing it, stop buying it."The title has made the list of games that has had the most concurrent players of 2018 on Steam, with over 50,000 simultaneous players, alongside Ark: Survival Evolved, Stardew Valley, and Rocket League.

Howard went on to say that he wants Bethesda's worlds to be sustainable beyond his time at the company: "Every year there's a new idea we can't do, and a new technology for something that excites us," he said.

"I'd say I want it to be sustainable. Eventually there will come a day where I'm not making games at Bethesda. Hopefully that's a long time away. But I want to make sure that who we are, what the worlds are, what the company is, that's sustainable far beyond me."
    God Howard has spoken!

10+ Year Old Account
    Troof, preach

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't get why people like skyrim so much. It's one of the worst Elder Scrolls and really not a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    I don't get why people like skyrim so much. It's one of the worst Elder Scrolls and really not a good game.
    Because opinions and stuff.

Last edited by Mifuyne; 2018-07-11 at 04:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If millions of people who share your opinion agreed then it wouldn't be played so much. But rose tinted goggles and nostalgia are one hell of a combination of drugs.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't get why people like video games so much. It's one of the worst mediums and really not a good hobby.
    Who knows?

10+ Year Old Account
    Comparing base games, yes, but pretty much everything wrong with it can easily be fixed with mods.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Why even complain, it made sense to port Skyrim around to new consoles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because Stealth Archers
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I mean I’ve brought it twice so he’s kinda right.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Comparing base games, yes, but pretty much everything wrong with it can easily be fixed with mods.
    If WoW was as moddable as Skyrim, there probably would be a giant Blizzard Logo on the moon by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never had problems playing Skyrim
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Yeah, he has a point. I personally own Skyrim, Skyrim SE, Skyrim VR (all on PC) and Skyrim Switch and I don't regret one of these buys.
    In fact the Switch version was one of the major selling points for the console for me.

I read that as "Geese Howard has spoken" and then realized why I have so much fun killing dragons unarmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    I read that as "Geese Howard has spoken" and then realized why I have so much fun killing dragons unarmed.
    Predictabow!

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Combat? Nope. Story? Eh, I guess it can be modded but not into anything good (projects on that part are way too ambitious to ever see the light of day). Stupid AI? Nope.

It's not like graphics, inventory management, UI or spells are the only things wrong with the game.

Skyrim is a good base for modding.
    On its own its an okay game but it is troubled by repetitive content, limited RPG elements and one of the worst UI ever designed.

Its story and content also greatly suffered from the many cut elements that bethesda removed or cancelled, such as the civil war which was originally supposed to be huge.
    Not to mention a HUGE number of bugs that make the Unofficial Skyrim Patch an absolute necessity.
    Last edited by Aleksej89; 2018-07-11 at 07:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's not wrong tho.

If people keep throwing money at you for releasing the same thing in a different box, why would you ever walk away from that?
    It's the dream scenario from a production standpoint. Maximum revenue with the least costs.

Deleted
    I have Skyrim on PC, originally had it on XBox and I bought it again for my Switch.
    I never use mods and still enjoy the hell out of the game.

It's a generally enjoyable game and the fact that it gets so many rereleases doesn't surprise me in the slightest. You know it's bad when The Prophet Howard tells you to stop buying it.