Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Volardelis View Post
    Farage jumped ship the moment the leavers won. Kinda funny
    No surprise there - his job was done.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Simple solution, have another vote. See if people still want a Brexit.
    The Brexiteers would fight to the death to avoid that, as not only were they lucky to fluke it on turnout in the first place but they know that in the two years since then a large amount of their supporters have died and over a million extra remainers have become eligible to vote.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo101 View Post
    My dad lived in NI during the troubles, some of my family still live there.

As far as I can gather from the UK government's total failure to get the DUP and SF to agree to form a government there for the last, what, 18 months now presents a significantly bigger threat to peace in Ireland than Brexit ever could.
    It is NI, a certain amount of dysfunctionality is normal. But even if what you were saying its true, its like saying the bonfire is far more dangerous than the petrol I'm going to add to it, doesn't make much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by starplorth View Post
    I voted Remain but I don't want another referendum. There are some big problems with this:

1) The precedent for overturning democratic decisions would be a very dangerous one and would give too much power to right-wing authoritarian agencies in future.

2) If it passed again, that would be it. We'd be stuck with Brexit for a generation. The polls do not indicate a decisive victory at this juncture.

There has to be a reasonable period of time between this and the next referendum, probably at least 8 years. There also has to be a huge mandate for re-joining. Proceeding with another referendum before then would likely be counter-productive.
    I'm not going to converse with one of the many "new" accounts popping up. I'll talk to you in a few months. Have a great Summer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    The Brexiteers would fight to the death to avoid that, as not only were they lucky to fluke it on turnout in the first place but they know that in the two years since then a large amount of their supporters have died and over a million extra remainers have become eligible to vote.
    Then The Brexiters who would oppose it are opposing democracy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Not to mention they actually murdered an MP, which very likely depressed the turnout in remain districts and won them the vote.

Simple solution, have another vote. See if people still want a Brexit.
    Not possible. It's been enshrined into law by the Queen. There can't be another vote until we officially leave at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Jyggalag View Post
    Not possible. It's been enshrined into law by the Queen. There can't be another vote until we officially leave at least.
    Then have her change her mind, and have another vote. It's a shame people don't want democracy.

Deleted
    I'm not going to converse with one of the many "new" accounts popping up.
    I have no interest in communicating with you, I was merely pointing out the very obvious flaws in your ill-considered argument.

Then The Brexiters who would oppose it are opposing democracy.
    No, they'd be upholding the law. https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...ent-eu-exit-uk

Deleted
    I had not heard that. Do you have a source to hand?

Deleted
    Lol. Do you even live in NI? You'd have to be a moron to assume this
    No border is literally in the peace agreement.

Then have her change her mind, and have another vote. It's a shame people don't want democracy.
    Or how about respect democracy, and accept we had a vote and remain lost? It's a shame you can't see the hypocrisy.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    For the Queen giving it royal ascent: https://services.parliament.uk/bills...ithdrawal.html

For it not being possible: N/A (made up).

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...ent-eu-exit-uk

And she could change her mind, and support another democratic vote. Problem solved.

Deleted
    What part of the article do you think supports your view that Brexi cannot be repealed until the next parliament?

Or how about respect democracy, and accept we had a vote and remain lost? It's a shame you can't see the hypocrisy.
    And the vote was had, why does that mean another vote cannot be done? Opposing another vote is opposing democracy.

The hardest Brexit will put a hard border for trade and EU nationals only. There will still be free movement for both UK and Ireland nationals. You'd be a fool to think otherwise
    Irish nationals are EU nationals, that's kinda the point - how do you differentiate between Irish EU nationals and non Irish EU nationals without checking the passports of both?

Deleted
    You do know there was a vote to join the EU in the first place, which you people didn't accept?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Other than just cutting off trade with the EU, which would just destroy the UK's economy.
    Moronic drivel.

No one is cutting off UK or vice versa. Nothing stops countries who wish to trade with UK - plenty of them - from striking bilateral treaties and agreements.
    More important than that, the main industrial power of EU is Germany. Germany has tremendous surplus, it's an incredibly vulnerable country because it's GDP (and by proxy, employment) depends on it's ability to sell.

It cannot and will not be able to isolate a single country, no matter how ''naughty'' it is - if you want proof, look at all the hallow threats it made to Greece, Poland and Hungary.