Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Mok'nathal: How will they come into play?

In BFA, Rexxar uses a highly unique half-ogre model with attachable armor pieces. It uses the Kul Tiran rigging with a slightly adjusted body (no belly) and has a very distinct face model you don't even see normally. It's not the special NPC type of model used for important characters where the clothes are built into the model.

Kul Tirans being the only characters with completely new body rigging being developed suddenly makes a lot more sense if its theorized that that rigging will be used for ANOTHER half-giant race on Hordeside to justify the resources and development put into it. It also lines up with Blizzard choosing to use Draenor instead of Outlands for the Mag'har, as this leaves Outlands open to grab the Mok'nathal from.

The question is... if this is actually an upcoming allied race, how the hell are they going to be involved with the story?

We don't really have to see the Mok'nathal appearing

Rexxar is a champion of the Horde, makes sense for him to appear in BfA

Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    We don't really have to see the Mok'nathal appearing

Rexxar is a champion of the Horde, makes sense for him to appear in BfA
    Doesn't make sense to give him a super unique model though. Rok'han has a much bigger role and he's just a regular troll in questing greens.

They used Kalec's old model despite him being everywhere in Legion, they would have no problem using Rexxar's old model again after it was in Legion. This reeks of racial setup.

Quote Originally Posted by EbaumsTipster View Post
    The question is... if this is actually an upcoming allied race, how the hell are they going to be involved with the story?
    They can do whatever is needed to add them if they choose.
    "Outland is finally collapsing and they need to move to Azeroth."
    "The Mok'nathal of Draenor are now being persecuted by the Lightbound and need to flee to Azeroth."
    "The Mok'nathal got bored and wanted to hunt the deadliest game : man."
    However they want to they can make something up to justify their addition.

I'm still skeptical though that this is any evidence of an allied race. Seems to me they needed a new Rexxar model and used a player character model to do so, thus why it's got detachable armor.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't make sense to give him a super unique model though. Rok'han has a much bigger role and he's just a regular troll in questing greens.
    While I don't disagree, they haven't ever cared too much about the Darkspear nor put too much effort into them, honestly.
    Meanwhile, Rexxar is a fan favorite from WC3 and WoW and Heroes of the Storm.

They used Kalec's old model despite him being everywhere in Legion, they would have no problem using Rexxar's old model again after it was in Legion. This reeks of racial setup.
    They gave Genn a new model in Legion even though he plays a very small role in it

Just on the work on his model alone, I would say the chance we'll see Allied Race of Mok'Nathal is about 98%.

Consider for the last 12 years he was essentially just a yellow orc.

Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    They gave Genn a new model in Legion even though he plays a very small role in it
    He's a faction leader, who mostly always get updated models, while Rexxar is a (popular) quest giver for most of WoW's life.

The point is that the amount of work put into Rexxar's model is ridiculous for a one-zone questgiver. They wouldn't put THAT much effort into his face and make his body THAT unique from the Kul Tirans "just because lol"

Rexxar's new model may be because his old one is from TBC times, an a decade old model compared to new PC models is clearly distinct in the unplasant way.

That said, I kind of agree with the OP with both points:
    Kul Tirans being the only characters with completely new body rigging being developed suddenly makes a lot more sense if its theorized that that rigging will be used for ANOTHER half-giant race on Hordeside to justify the resources and development put into it. It also lines up with Blizzard choosing to use Draenor instead of Outlands for the Mag'har, as this leaves Outlands open to grab the Mok'nathal from.
    Having new model makes it perfect opportunity to create another race using same skeleton - and Rexxar might be a testing ground if this would work out. The same goes for Outland - they could have easily pulled Mag'har from Outland, yet they chose not to. One, it gives them opportunity in regards to new look at Light in regards to the Lightbound and their approach, as well as leaves Outland free to recruit a potential allied race.

5+ Year Old Account
    The current racial leaders that have brought Allied Races to the Horde and Alliance:

Alleria Windrunner: Velves
    Lady Liadrian: Shelves
    Eitrigg: Mag'har
    Moira: Dark Iron
    Baine: Highmountain Tauren
    Turalyon: Lightforged Draenei

We're also probably going to see Jaina bring in the Kul'tirans and Rokhan bring in the Zandalari.

So the races whose racial leaders (Or at least racial members) have not brought it new people are:
    Nelves (Though Alleria's Velves might be the stand-in, there)
    Draenei (Though the LFD by Turalyon is probably the stand-in, there)
    Gnomes
    Worgen
    Goblins
    Forsaken
    Pandaren on both sides (Don't really expect anything on that front, myself...)

Could the Forsaken recruit the Mok'nathal to the Horde? Nathanos, acting as the "Hand of the Queen", basically, entreating the Half-Ogres to come lend a hand? I don't , personally, see it. But it'd fit better than the Goblins or Pandaren doing it. Though since a human went to get the LFD and a Helf went to get the Velves, maybe it's not so much of a stretch?
    When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like injustice.

7+ Year Old Account
    they will not come to play, they would need too much work and retcon when ogres are more accessible

they are a cheap and bad version of ogres.

If ogre win a remodel they would be better than this

7+ Year Old Account
    What if rexar will become new WARCHIEF

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm guessing Leoroxx dies and Rexxar finds out he's succeeding him as Chieftain, and brings them into the Horde. Can't really ration out how they'd go Alliance, and I think Blizz knows Forsaken leadership is kinda robbing the Horde of its Warcraft RTS identity and want to get that back.

It wouldn't surprise me if what's left of Outland were conquered by the Aldor/Scryer/Shattered Sun and forced to convert by A'dal but honestly they just used that trope with the Mag'har so it would be cooler if the planet just started breaking more and the Naaru fixed their space ship and left. Or if they wanna keep Outland open for the future just say some new Gronn took over Gruul's lair and they're rowdy enough to convince the Mok'nathal to follow Rexxar to Kalimdor. It doesn't have to be big, subtlty is good.

- - - Updated - - -

Any guesses on their racial mount?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    "There is another person on the other end of the chat screen. They're our friends; they're our brothers and sisters; they're our sons and daughters. Let's take a stand to reject hate and harassment, and let's redouble our efforts to be kind and respectful to one another, and let's remind the world what the gaming community is really all about."

Mike Morhaime CEO of Blizzard Entertainment, Blizzcon 2014 (view)

Quote Originally Posted by MrSaggins View Post
    I'm guessing Leoroxx dies and Rexxar finds out he's succeeding him as Chieftain, and brings them into the Horde. Can't really ration out how they'd go Alliance, and I think Blizz knows Forsaken leadership is kinda robbing the Horde of its Warcraft RTS identity and want to get that back.

It wouldn't surprise me if what's left of Outland were conquered by the Aldor/Scryer/Shattered Sun and forced to convert by A'dal but honestly they just used that trope with the Mag'har so it would be cooler if the planet just started breaking more and the Naaru fixed their space ship and left. Or if they wanna keep Outland open for the future just say some new Gronn took over Gruul's lair and they're rowdy enough to convince the Mok'nathal to follow Rexxar to Kalimdor. It doesn't have to be big, subtlty is good.

- - - Updated - - -

Any guesses on their racial mount?
    Aldor and the Scryers leaving in their ship would be a nice tie-in to the Naaru "suddenly arriving on Draenor" in the Mag'har campaign, but I would rather Aldor isn't evil. Maybe it would just be a red herring.

I would guess the racial mount would be a boar, that's the closest thing I can think of to an "Ogre Mount" (and they will definitely be more themed around ogres than orcs)

10+ Year Old Account
    Rexxars been away for a while making a lot of babies. That's the clan we're play as, one of rexxars infinite kids he and with his 100+ wives.
    #boycottchina

I doubt that they would include Mok’nathal as a playable race before ogres.
    From a story perspective, it makes sense for Blizzard to just make some races, already allied to either faction, playable. Such as dark irons. It’s less messy, much easier to do with as little story needed to explain as possible.
    But I do think that Rexxar would be the one bringing playable ogres into the Horde first.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwento View Post
    I doubt that they would include Mok’nathal as a playable race before ogres.
    From a story perspective, it makes sense for Blizzard to just make some races, already allied to either faction, playable. Such as dark irons. It’s less messy, much easier to do with as little story needed to explain as possible.
    But I do think that Rexxar would be the one bringing playable ogres into the Horde first.
    That's not exactly how that works. You can't just make the current Ogres playable because they barely are emotive/expressive to player levels.

Rexxar is using the full range of animations (or most of them) being developed for Large Kul Tirans. This means he's 100% more player-ready than any WoD ogre, who can't even equip more than a few custom-made sets of armor that are only intended for use by Ogre models.

That's not exactly how that works. You can't just make the current Ogres playable because they barely are emotive/expressive to player levels.

Rexxar is using the full range of animations (or most of them) being developed for Large Kul Tirans. This means he's 100% more player-ready than any WoD ogre, who can't even equip more than a few custom-made sets of armor that are only intended for use by Ogre models.
    You know, I hope you are right! But I still have my doubts.

While I would welcome having the Mok'nathal joining the Horde (even if only as NPCs), I somehow doubt Blizzard will do anything with them beyond the occasional Rexxar appearance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Baine is like the most unlikeable character you are supposed to like.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwento View Post
    You know, I hope you are right! But I still have my doubts.
    You're right in that "lore-wise" it doesn't make sense, but mechanically/gameplay wise it makes sense. If Humans are getting "half-breeds" of a giant race (Drust/Vrykul) then they will just do the same for Ogres.

Is a moknathal a ogre/orc halfbreed? Looks very well done if it is