Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How are warlocks looking in BFA?

So I've been busy with school, haven't been in beta. A guy in Twitch today was telling me that warlocks are in bad shape right now, especially demo. Is this true? I haven't kept up with the latest changes, and this seems counter to what I heard maybe 2 months ago. Was I being trolled?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMethod View Post
    Was I being trolled?
    Yes. The Demo revision is looking very good. Its fast paced rotation isn't for everyone, but that's a question of personal taste rather than it being objectively bad like it's been in Legion. Destro hasn't regained it's OPAF heights from MoP, much as some people might wish, but it's still using the same core mechanics and the talents are a bit better than they've been in an expansion or two. Afflic is getting knocked off its own OPAF throne, but again it's not bad, and if you really like DoT juggling that's what it still offers.

As for the numbers? Pre-launch numbers tuning isn't done. Post-launch numbers tuning hasn't even started. So it'll be a while before we see how those shake out. On top of that, each spec has its own strengths and weaknesses when it comes to things like cleave DPS or burst AoE. It'll take a few weeks into the first raid before we find out which of those is most in demand this time.

Demo is literally one of the very few specs that are widely regarded as very good.
    Perhaps the NUMBERS (not mechanics!) Nerf was a bit too much, but if that is case, there is a good chance they will increase the damage with a balancing patch.
    Like really, here is my advise to you: You should chose your new main with a focus on mechanics, not of numbers. Numbers will be tuned, mechanics have to wait to at least 8.1

It's also my understanding that they do a lot of tuning after launches for the first raid.

Yah you were being trolled for sure. Demo is super fun. Affliction has it's place, and is pretty fun IMO though some don't like it, and Destro feels great. Numbers wise Destro will probably be pretty mega, but mechanically they all feel pretty great.

Ignore some random ass twitch streamer. Play the mechanics and class that are fun to you. Unless you're in Method, or MDI, a player passionately playing the class they love and doing what they can to maximize that is going to outplay and outmeter some asshat playing the FOTM because Sco told him it was the best.

We can't tell you what you'll enjoy, but the consensus seems to be that warlocks are in a good place. Demo's rework looks really good to me, Destro is much the same as it has been since MoP. Affliction I'm not a fan of, there's not enough going on for me, but there are some players super excited for Shadow bolt's triumphant return. Certainly not dead in the water.
    If performance is your main concern, then we're still in the tuning phase. Destro's pretty strong as it stands, with the others perhaps being a touch weaker than average depending on who you ask, but not by any means worthless. It's a good bet that at least one of our specs will be good enough to compete.

You lost me as soon as you said Twitch chat. Twitch chat is as bad or worse then these forms propably worse. It is nothing but parrots and sheep

All Lock specs are very fun.

Warlocks are probably the most well-rounded class coming into BFA. All the specs have their place and seem to be doing well. DKs are probably the other class that I'd say is close to the completion of warlocks in the current beta build

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krohgar View Post
    It's also my understanding that they do a lot of tuning after launches for the first raid.
    Yeah, there will be a ton of hotfixes the first few weeks before the raid. Maybe a small patch or two too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    Warlocks are probably the most well-rounded class coming into BFA. All the specs have their place and seem to be doing well. DKs are probably the other class that I'd say is close to the completion of warlocks in the current beta build
    And then you have the poor shamans at the other end of the spectrum.

I know most people dislike Outlaw, but I love it.

Deleted
    We look Fel, as always...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire989 View Post
    You lost me as soon as you said Twitch chat. Twitch chat is as bad or worse then these forms propably worse. It is nothing but parrots and sheep
    I think much of the disconnect and misinformation is caused by people not properly separating game play and spec design (fun) and dps as it stands prior to proper tuning.

Really bad.

Affli and destro are boring as hell, and Demon is the spec with less dps of the game actually on beta.

Pick a mele or a Mage, thats always a win-win. Just forget about warlocks.

Imagine a world where:

Azerite Trait 1: Casting Immolate has a change to have double the duration and generate 100% extra shards

Azerite Trait 2: Casting Conflagrate has a 25% chance of making your next Chaos Bolt instant cast

Azerite Trait 3: Each time you cast Incinerate, the cooldown on your Summon Infernal is reduced by 1 second

Until these traits come in, Destro is alright, certainly fun, the potential for jizzmopping gleefulness however is certainly there as envisioned above!
    Affli and Demo are both "fine", but I'm not on board with the majority that finds Demo so incredibly fun. There's little variation, and the Demonbolt procs don't feel exciting because they are mostly predictable. I am crossing my fingers for future azerite traits to spice things up more, because the potential is there for all 3 specs to become a hoot. The current traits are so-so, a fair introduction into the system. Warlocks got the better end of the azerite trait deal insofar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Really bad.

Affli and destro are boring as hell, and Demon is the spec with less dps of the game actually on beta.

Pick a mele or a Mage, thats always a win-win. Just forget about warlocks.
    Ray of sunshine and optimism as always Shanda.

7+ Year Old Account
    is this thread real?
    Don't be like haunt guy.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMethod View Post
    So I've been busy with school, haven't been in beta. A guy in Twitch today was telling me that warlocks are in bad shape right now, especially demo. Is this true?
    Nah son. All three warlock specs have fun coming out the wazoo, and all perform very well, though as others have mentioned, Destro's probably currently a bit over tuned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Deleted
    I used to look white, but ever since my switch to Horde I look felgreen .

Does Demonology still feel clunky with the demonic empowerment and turrent mode? I enjoyed Affli in the Argus and Destro for the beginning of legion but the single target damage wasnt great

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    Does Demonology still feel clunky with the demonic empowerment and turrent mode? I enjoyed Affli in the Argus and Destro for the beginning of legion but the single target damage wasnt great
    Where have you been? Demo doesn't have Demonic Empowerment any more.