Page 1 of 25
... LastLast

Henril Cavill Hesitant to Date in #MeToo Era

Mostly due to fear of a misunderstanding or bad date gone wrong gaslighting his career, because he's old-fashioned in his dating style:

Henry Cavill is facing backlash over comments he made about dating in a recent interview with GQ Australia.

In the interview, Cavill spoke about what he loves about dating and relationships.

"There's something wonderful about a man chasing a woman," he said. "There's a traditional approach to that, which is nice. I think a woman should be wooed and chased, but maybe I'm old-fashioned for thinking that."

But the actor said that boundaries have become murkier in the post-#MeToo era.

"It's very difficult to do that if there are certain rules in place. Because then it's like: 'Well, I don't want to go up and talk to her, because I'm going to be called a rapist or something," he said. "So you're like, 'Forget it, I'm going to call an ex-girlfriend instead, and then just go back to a relationship, which never really worked'. But it's way safer than casting myself into the fires of hell, because I'm someone in the public eye, and if I go and flirt with someone, then who knows what's going to happen?"

According to Cavill, there really isn't a "chase" in 2018.

"Now? Now you really can't pursue someone further than, 'No'. It's like, 'OK, cool'. But then there's the, 'Oh why'd you give up?' And it's like, 'Well, because I didn't want to go to jail?'" he told the magazine.

When asked if his past behavior ever crossed the line, Cavill offered this response: "I like to think that I've never been like that. I think any human being alive today, if someone casts too harsh a light on anything, you could be like, 'Well, OK, yeah, when you say it like that, maybe.'"

He continued: "But it's such a delicate and careful thing to say because there's flirting which, for example, in a social environment is in context - and is acceptable. And that has been done to me as well, in return."

People online feel that Cavill's comments are tone deaf — and they're sounding off on Twitter.

On Thursday, Cavill addressed the backlash in a statement on Twitter issued through manager Dany Garcia.

"Having seen the reaction to an article in particular about my feelings on dating and the #metoo movement, I just wanted to apologize for any confusion and misunderstanding that this may have created," the statement began. "Insensitivity was absolutely not my intention.

In light of this I would just like to clarify and confirm to all that I have always and will continue to hold women in the highest of regard, no matter the type of relationship whether it be friendship, professional, or a significant other. Never would I intend to disrespect in any way, shape or form. This experience has taught me a valuable lesson as to the context and the nuance of editorial liberties," the statement continued. "I look forward to clarifying my position in the future towards a subject that it so vitally important and in which I wholeheartedly support. - Henry Cavill."

This isn't the first time that the actor has come under fire for comments about relationships. In a 2016 interview with The Sunday Times, Cavill made a joke about "double standards" for catcalling that many people felt was in poor taste.

"I do think there's a bit of a double standard, you know," he said, according to the Independent. "I mean, if a girl shouts something like 'Oi, love, fancy a shag?' to me as I walk past I do sometimes wonder how she'd feel if a builder said that to her. Although, of course, I wouldn't feel physically threatened, as she might."

A representative for Henry Cavill didn't immediately return INSIDER's request for comment.
    I don't blame him. For someone in his position, if he goes on a date with the wrong woman, all it takes is a single offhand comment, or for his hand to accidentally brush one of her breasts in a hug (that happened to me on one date) and the next morning every gossip magazine is painting him as a boor or a rapist or sexual assaulter or something along those lines, and his career is over like Aziz Ansari. One bad date in the Hollywood world can burn your livelihood to cinders. It's just not worth it.
    Last edited by jimboa24; 2018-07-12 at 09:05 PM.

This is what happens to decent men when we are all treated like Harvey Weinstein.

And I bet most ladies wouldnt mind him grabbing their pussy.

2018 everyone....

10+ Year Old Account
    That's pretty fucking scary. Considering he's superman even. I'm sure women love to say shit to him on the street. You're right. Aziz Ansari is a great example. It only takes an accusation with no evidence and every media outlet runs the story like its a fact. Your shows get cancelled, your reputation is tarnished. And it could take years to come back.

General comment:
    The #metoo movement is a good thing in general. It is really important to get rid of abuse. But, on the other hand, we should not fall into unnecessary exaggerations. Moderation and common sense should be the key, like always.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't blame him at all, all it takes is one spiteful date and you can be done for in this guilty until proven innocent system Hollywood is in.

Honestly, credit to him to having the balls to say what every normal man is thinking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't he gay?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    This is what happens to decent men when we are all treated like Harvey Weinstein.

And I bet most ladies wouldnt mind him grabbing their pussy.

2018 everyone....
    Wrong.

I am not now or ever worried about a rape charge. Neither are most guys, there is a clear lined between rape and what isn't rape, that line is consent. Not sure why flirting should consist of fucking being paranoid you can't assault people.

If you are dumb enough to go around grabbing women, then you likely have other problems that have nothing to do with WOMEN for that fear.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    He should stick to dating Lois Lane

social media has done nothing but make the world a worse place, it has no positive value, everything with a hashtag is a cry for attention or to be part of something so you can look down on those who aren't

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Honestly, credit to him to having the balls to say what every normal man is thinking.
    He doesn't have balls, he is whining and has already apologized for his bone headed remarks.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Wrong.

I am not now or ever worried about a rape charge. Neither are most guys, there is a clear lined between rape and what isn't rape, that line is consent. Not sure why flirting should consist of fucking being paranoid you can't assault people.

If you are dumb enough to go around grabbing women, then you likely have other problems that have nothing to do with WOMEN for that fear.
    if the last chick you fucked wants to say you coerced her and then raped her since she wasn't 100% on board, what the hell do you have to prove otherwise? i mean, fuck, we have WIVES claiming their husbands raped them because they weren't completely in the mood.

that clear line you thought you had just knocked your teeth out as it flew out the window and now you're considered a pervert and a rapist

welcome to 2018, bubble boy

a regretful woman today makes a man a rapist, it's not up for debate. accusations are all that matter now, not convictions. you both go out drinking and are a little tipsy then have sex? you raped her, yes, that's what the law allows.

the line has never been LESS clear
    Last edited by sopeonaroap; 2018-07-12 at 09:09 PM.

Wrong.

nice try job trying to exaggerate his point.

Hes saying you cant chase woman without looking like a rapist now, Which is true. If they say no thanks thats it and its over. Instead of trying to win her over

And most of the time it has to be the guy to ask the lady out. That process is harder in the metoo era. Facts

Wrong.

Spoken like a man who's never had a bad date with a woman who turned out to be angry and bitter and just looking to be offended.

Deleted
    You sound like a pussy POS OP.
    Grats

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    Spoken like a man who's never had a bad date with a woman who turned out to be angry and bitter and just looking to be offended.
    that said, theres still plenty of normal chicks who disagree with this bullshit as well.

Just stay away from the ones with purple hair and who study in gender studies.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the "rapist" comment is a bit absurd. No lady will think you are a rapist because you are flirting a bit. Oo
    I don't think there should be a chase after a "no". If the woman says "no" I expect her to mean "no" and not be coy and want to be chased despite that.

He's famous. Just about any romance has the potential to be a gold-digger or stalker. Its probably better if he plays it extra cautious.

Usually, the rich-and-famous can be safely assumed to an entitled ass-hat but on the other end of the scale you get people like Keanu Reeves. He's considered to be a pretty stand up guy but twice he's found nude stalkers on his property.

Wrong.

The whole thing of him calling out of if a woman says no you have to go oh okay its cool. That is pretty much the correct way to handle that. I think in this day and age both men and women being more clear in their boundaries is important. If somebody says no then accept that. But on the flip side don't be all coy and get pissed off if a guy does not continue to come onto you after you say no.

If you're only persuing a woman you know nothing about because you think they look like a good fuck then frankly it's on you if they react in a way you don't like.

If you're deliberately persuing a bunny boiler then frankly it's on you if they react in a way you don't like.

If you didn't bother to find out if she was before going on a date and bedding her, then frankly it's on you if they react in a way you don't like.

So basically, it's on you. Something something don't stick your dick in crazy something something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.