Thread: Buying a Kindle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    get the moon reader pro app (its cheaper ) and read on your (android ofc) phone [fuck apple garbage]

I've been using Amazon Kindle for a couple of years now and i love it. easy to sync between devices so i can read on my phone if I'm going somewhere where i don't wanna bring my tablet. The book prices are really low especially if you wait a while after the release of the books you want to read. I picked up 9 books for less than 20 USD a few months ago. About the ads i don't think Amazon kindle has any apart from them emailing you about upcoming books you might be interested in, but i suppose you might be able to opt out of those mails.
    IronVan the Van of Steel

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. Wanted to get a e-reader for vacations and didn't want to get a tablet. Looked at Nooks and Kindles. Eventually decided on the Kindle. As far as the ads, I don't have a problem with them. There's only one main ad when you first turn on the Kindle and you can quickly swipe past it to get to your book collection. The only issue I have with the Kindle is, I haven't figured out a way to organize my books into categories or sort them based on author. Right now they are just on the reader in the order in which they were downloaded.

Bought a refurbished Kindle Oasis (because for whatever reason, Amazon refuses to sell new devices to Denmark but still sells certified refurbished) and I'm frankly super happy with it. The detachable leather cover that also charges the battery is super handy as it severely increases the use time between each charge, but even without it the device lasts surprisingly long.

I dislike touching the display so the buttons on the side for switching pages are perfect for me and I believe those are only found on the Oasis.

Obviously the best part of the kindle is the endless library of books available for cheap. If you're grabbing a kindle during the Prime sale I'd grab 3 months of Kindle Unlimited for free while you're at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

If you want something that replicates the experience of reading a book as closely as possible then I can't recommend the Kindle Paperwhite more. It's very soft and easy to look at, has amazing battery life, and doesn't clutter itself up with additional software functionality beyond what you need to read your ebooks. I have a Kindle Fire as well, which is basically just a tablet. Worse reading functionality, but better everything else. If you want an e-reader that has additional smart device functions then the Fire is probably a good bet, but if you literally just want something to read books on then get a Paperwhite.

I have the paperwhite, and it fits your requirements fairly well from what I can see, but can't offer any feedback on the higher end models. Paperwhite is perfect for holidays, got bought one for a birthday and was surprised at how much I liked it.

I went with a NOOK glowlight from barnes and noble and so far its great and it doesn't have any ads bullshit that kindle does, not to mention i believe you have to have amazon prime account to get books on the kindle right? Also a kindle will only read the one single ebook format that amazon offers (correct me if I'm wrong) but you don't need a b&n membership to buy books for the nook nor are you restricted to only being able to read one specific ebook format which are the two main reasons i chose the nook over the kindle

i'd recommend looking at both of them before you make a final decision
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    Bought a refurbished Kindle Oasis (because for whatever reason, Amazon refuses to sell new devices to Denmark but still sells certified refurbished) and I'm frankly super happy with it. The detachable leather cover that also charges the battery is super handy as it severely increases the use time between each charge, but even without it the device lasts surprisingly long.

I dislike touching the display so the buttons on the side for switching pages are perfect for me and I believe those are only found on the Oasis.

Obviously the best part of the kindle is the endless library of books available for cheap. If you're grabbing a kindle during the Prime sale I'd grab 3 months of Kindle Unlimited for free while you're at it.
    The buttons on the Oasis are definitely of interest to me, making it easier to use in one hand. There's a newer model, and the original with the detachable battery like you have, I'm trying to learn about both so thanks for your input. The original Oasis without the cover is as light as they come so it is of interest to me.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    If the absolute only thing you will do on the Kindle is read, go for it. Awful for everything else, in my experience with the Kindle and Kindle Fire that I've owned.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post

I believe the Kindle Voyage has a page turn feature as well. They are not button though. There are two small sensors on the left and right on the screen that turn the page when you apply pressure to either one. I have not actually tried either one though so don't know how well it works compared to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by EnclosedOne View Post
    I went with a NOOK glowlight from barnes and noble and so far its great and it doesn't have any ads bullshit that kindle does, not to mention i believe you have to have amazon prime account to get books on the kindle right? Also a kindle will only read the one single ebook format that amazon offers (correct me if I'm wrong) but you don't need a b&n membership to buy books for the nook nor are you restricted to only being able to read one specific ebook format which are the two main reasons i chose the nook over the kindle

i'd recommend looking at both of them before you make a final decision
    Honestly, I never even notice the ads. They only display when the kindle is turned off and I think one right when it is turned back on. I also am pretty sure it is not limited to only one format. Even if it is, I know it reads .epub files and those are the most common and there are a number of easy to use programs that will convert files to .epub. You also do not have to have prime to get books. You can purchase any ebooks you want or there are two membership options. Prime reading is a part of the normal amazon prime and it gives you free access to a selection of books, magazines, and comics and then there is something called kindle unlimited that I believe gives you unlimited access to any ebook or audiobook on amazon for a set monthly price.

For anyone with an e-reader, I would check your local library. Many will let you access an online database with loads of free ebook.

I have a Kindle Fire HD that I use almost exclusively to browse the internet with.

Honestly, I turn JavaScript off for most websites and it's basically as good as adblock. It's not perfect and some sites need to be added to the exception list, but it's good.

It's so fucking lightweight that it's amazing. The resolution for youtube videos...isn't the best though.

I bought a paperwhite, cause I wanted a tablet to mostly read on. I already read a lot in digital form and my old tablet was dying. so i figured, might as well spend a little less, get me something that doesn't have a glare so I can read more comfortably in sunlight etc (I like reading outside during summer and warm spring/fall months)

I returned it 2 days later.

oh, sure its tiny and light and it certainly deals better with sunlight then regular tablet. but... I actualy found the letters to be more uncomfortable to read than what i typically see on tablet screen. adds were minor annoyance, but not a big deal. the big deal for me was the fact that despite the advertising? it categorically refused to let me read anything that wasn't in kindle format. I have a TON of books that i have been collecting for years, most of them either epubs or pdf's and I wanted to be able to reread them at will. but.. contrary to promises that yes it reads books not bought on kindle.. it didn't recognize any of them. converting their formats via calibre didn't fix the issue. and... the memory is pretty small AND you cannot expand it with external storage.

all in all, I ended up buying galaxy tab for a bit more money (back when i bought it it was cheaper) and am VERY happy with it. I still mostly just read on it, but the battery life alone makes it worth it (kindle is supposed to have good battery life but... it didn't. another reason why i wasn't happy with it, apparently their advertising hinges on reading half an hour per day. my minimum reading time is an hour.)

P.S. i get a lot of books from the library as well, using libby app (it was reccomended by the library itself) and i actualy prefer reading in it vs kindle app. i do buy kindle books occasionally, but.. you can have a kindle app on regular tablet. you cannot have other apps on paperwhite.

I have had a Kindle for years. About 2 years ago I went with an ipad mini to read on and here is the main reason why: screen size.

I really like the Kindle Oasis which has a 7" screen and is super light weight. BUT, do I want to spend $400 Canadian dollars on something that only reads books? The ipad mini is like 5-6 bills now and can do so much more. If the Oasis goes down by at least $100 I might consider it.

However, what I am looking at is the Kobo Aura ONE which has a 7.8" screen, can do epub and mobi (Kindle format) and is only $249.99 before taxes Canadian. My hope is someone puts Kobo on sale (many of the 6" ones are on sale this week in a lead up to Prime Day).

The 6" paper white is good, especially if they put it on for 49.99 like they did a few years ago. However, the difference between 6" screen and a 7.xx screen is so massive to make a bigger screen worth it, especially if you read a lot.

I read a minimum of 50 books a year, so it makes a big difference to me.

EDIT: They had two prices of Kindle in the past: one with ads and one without. I don't think they do that anymore as my last 2 Kindle Paper have zero ads.
    Last edited by Themanintobuildafire; 2018-07-14 at 06:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Paperwhite is going to be $40 off on Prime Day, think I'll grab it unless the Oasis gets a big discount too.

i bought my mom a paperwhite a while ago. she loves it and i like because all i have to do is slap a hundred bucks on her account for her birthday and i am son of the year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get a tablet cheap because you don't want to spend money to be stuck with advertising to spend money, while your doing the thing you rather be doing instead of spending money you almost don't have.

LOL no save for a tablet or Ipad, you will happier in the long run not falling for a gimmick and you will have an item much better that if later you want, you can sell and get what you spent back to buy something better like an upgrade.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Why buy a Kindle when you can just download the Kindle app onto your phone for free?

Deleted
    I can personally recommend the Kindle Paperwhite. The markup for the ad-free version isn't really worth it (IMO), since the ads are non-intrusive.

15+ Year Old Account
    A related question to this topic: Can I use amazon books/store with some other manufacturers e-reader?

They don't sell kindles in Finland (and not sure if Amazon delivers them here either).
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Other than the price, is there a reason to get a kindle over a tablet?
    Eink is a pretty great simulation of real print

Battery life is massively better

Smaller, lighter