Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Rainbow Six Siege players who use slurs are now getting instantly banned

https://www.pcgamer.com/rainbow-six-...ffer-pcgamertw

A healthy step towards a less toxic community
    Note: This story contains a video and image that uses homophobic and racist slurs.

Dropping hate speech in Rainbow Six Siege now comes with automatic consequences. Since yesterday, dozens of players have been saying that they received an automatic instant ban after using a racist or homophobic slur in text chat. Ubisoft has confirmed to PC Gamer via email that a new banning system is live in Siege.

These bans seem to last for 27 minutes on first instance, and prevent playing any aspect of Siege, including Terrorist Hunt or custom games. Upon second and third offense, the ban increases to 2 hours. After the third offense, an official investigation into the account is conducted that could lead to a permanent ban, per the Siege Code of Conduct.
    Asked about the ban on Twitter, Ubisoft referred to a post in its dev blog from April that addressed toxicity. Back then, Ubi promised several features coming this year, like muting text chat and enhanced chat monitoring for abusive language. A chat filter was also promised with an estimated arrival for Season 3, but the feature set is a bit different than what is in place today.

“Our team is working on the creation of an automated system that will censor text chat in game based on a chat filter list. This will replace words that have been identified as offensive and provide players with a notification that their language was found to be unacceptable. We will also be tracking the number of times players trigger this filter and will take action as necessary for players that are intentionally having a negative impact on other player’s gaming experience,” Ubi wrote in the April post.

As seen in the video below by Redditor EMU4, the current system doesn’t appear to censor the slur used or hide it to players, but immediately after typing it the player receives a ban and is removed from the match.
    Some have praised Ubi’s efforts to curb hate speech, while others expressed anger that their favorite words are now off-limits. “Just wanted to say I’ve watched a few people get banned right in front of my eyes! It’s beautiful!” Reddit user TheDeaves said in a post on the front page of the Siege subreddit
    Good this actually makes me want to pick up and play the game again. More games should do the samething including big MMO's like Wow.

(Images and video is in the link).

Also before anyone brings it up free speech doesn't apply to private company's and does not mean freedom from consequences.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2018-07-13 at 10:02 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Why wasn't this a thing already?

Kind of weird how most moderation on this front always requires someone to report it first.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Why wasn't this a thing already?

Kind of weird how most moderation on this front always requires someone to report it first.
    No clue and Siege is the first game I have heard that does a auto ban on it. Like I said more games need to do it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

I wish they would do something about assholes who tk at the start of a match. Because that's why I don't play the game anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsav1 View Post
    I wish they would do something about assholes who tk at the start of a match. Because that's why I don't play the game anymore.
    There is a system in place for tking, When was the last time you played? Because its been in for quite awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    There is a system in place for tking, When was the last time you played? Because its been in for quite awhile.
    Probably since Christmas. Early January at the latest because I was tired of zoning into a match and getting shot in the back and the guy would leave before I could report him.

too bad that when you let easily/intentionally offended people run the show, nothing gets better because there is always something to get easily/intentionally offended about......it's a never ending cycle

the #1 best way to let a community moderate itself is to force you to be you, not in the sense of your real world identity being public knowledge but if you are always you in a video game, it's easy to know and avoid the dickheads

this isn't a solution, it's a band-aid. just like in wow, the second trolls know exactly how the system works, they turn it against people they don't like or can't beat and then the customer service is up to their necks in improper ban accusations and it's a shit show

Quote Originally Posted by sopeonaroap View Post
    too bad that when you let easily/intentionally offended people run the show, nothing gets better because there is always something to get easily/intentionally offended about......it's a never ending cycle

the #1 best way to let a community moderate itself is to force you to be you, not in the sense of your real world identity being public knowledge but if you are always you in a video game, it's easy to know and avoid the dickheads

this isn't a solution, it's a band-aid. just like in wow, the second trolls know exactly how the system works, they turn it against people they don't like or can't beat and then the customer service is up to their necks in improper ban accusations and it's a shit show
    How do you trick someone into typing nigger or faggot in the middle of an action game like Rainbow Six?

15+ Year Old Account
    What happens if a black guy says nigga?

Quote Originally Posted by bigsav1 View Post
    Probably since Christmas. Early January at the latest because I was tired of zoning into a match and getting shot in the back and the guy would leave before I could report him.
    Well they got a system in place where you don't have to report him. Its logged he TK's and if he does it enough hes ether banned or put into a pool of players who do the same thing and that also apply's to people leaving the games early.

Really fucking stupid. Who cares what insults people throw at you in online games? How can you be that frail? What an idiotic thing to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's literally half the people I encounter.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

I don't see why anyone would take issue with a developer not wanting offensive chat in their game and handing out temp-bans as a result. Don't want to get banned? Either clam up or simply be a decent person when communicating with your teammates/opponents.

Please do tell how you can trick someone into typing a slurr into chat or saying it on voice com without saying it yourself. Your post makes zero sense and the internet becoming toxic as it is is due to self/community moderation.

Go say a slurr right now in trade chat on WoW and guess what there is a 99% chance nothing will happen. This isn't "Oh people are just getting offended" these are people getting banned for using slurr's.

There is no context needed, If you use a slurr you deserve to be banned. Don't want to be banned don't use a slurr, Its that simple.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Really fucking stupid. Who cares what insults people throw at you in online games? How can you be that frail? What an idiotic thing to do.
    Developers wanting to clean up the toxic cesspool there online game has become is somehow a idiotic thing? I guess your the type of people who like uses these slurr's and ou can't at lease in siege.

In before "Nibba" and all that fancy lango youngsters use nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    What happens if a black guy says nigga?
    Banned, racial slurr is a racial slurr doesn't matter who uses it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Banned, racial slurr is a racial slurr doesn't matter who uses it.
    Nigga isnt a slurr. Thats the whole point of my question.

Developers wanting to clean up the toxic cesspool there online game has become is somehow a idiotic thing? I guess your the type of people who like uses these slurr's and ou can't at lease in siege.
    Again: Who the hell cares if people vent in the text chat of an online game?

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Nigga isnt a slurr. Thats the whole point of my question.
    Actually it is and many disagree with you about that. That's kinda the point, It is still seen as a racial slurr, doesn't matter how you change the letters at the end.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Again: Who the hell cares if people vent in the text chat of an online game?
    Clearly many do otherwise this change wouldn't have happen. I personally don't want to see toxic shitlords in chat at the end or hear them on voice coms thought out the match.

That type of community can outright ruin a game. Hell for me personally its why I stopped playing HOTS until they added the ability to turn off chat.

Actually it is and many disagree with you about that. That's kinda the point, It is still seen as a racial slurr, doesn't matter how you change the letters at the end.

- - - Updated - - -

Clearly many do otherwise this change wouldn't have happen. I personally don't want to see toxic shitlords in chat at the end or hear them on voice coms thought out the match.

That type of community can outright ruin a game. Hell for me personally its why I stopped playing HOTS until they added the ability to turn off chat.
    It ruins a game for you if some people shittalk in the chat? What?