Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Mutinous migrants threaten to kill Italian crew after rescue

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/m...scue-p23wgf80h

African migrants threatened to kill the crew of an Italian cargo vessel that had rescued them in the Mediterranean, in an attempt to avoid being returned to detention centres in Libya.

The Italian coastguard picked up the migrants after receiving a call for help from the ship. They were being taken yesterday to Italy where the ringleaders will be questioned by police over the incident.

The mutiny on the Vos Thalassa marked an escalation in problems in the Mediterranean after Italy’s new populist government refused entry to migrants picked up by charity boats and handed over rescue responsibilities to the Libyan coastguard.

The incident has raised new concerns for merchant sailors who face a difficult dilemma because it is illegal under international maritime law to refuse help to anyone in trouble at sea.

The 67 sub-Saharan migrants, including three women and six children, were spotted in a dinghy on Sunday by the crew about 60 miles off Libya.

After hauling them on board the captain asked the Libyan coastguard to pick them up, prompting an angry reaction from some of the migrants, who had hoped to be sent to Italy.

“Death threats were made and some of the 12 crew members were pushed,” a spokesman at Italy’s transport ministry said. “It turned from a rescue to piracy.”

As a Libyan coastguard boat approached, the migrants became more aggressive and the crew turned for help from the Italian coastguard, which dispatched a vessel given the “grave danger” that the crew was in.

Officials were “identifying those responsible for the disorder in order to hand them over to Italian investigators,” a coastguard statement added.

Charity rescue ships that had been patrolling the area are now absent after Italy denied them entry to its ports and Malta impounded some.

The heightened tensions come as Germany is struggling to control its own immigration levels and appease right-wing voters and one of Angela Merkel’s main coalition partners.

Horst Seehofer, the German interior minister, unveiled a 63-point “migration masterplan” that includes the quick deportation of those living in Germany whose asylum applications have been rejected and who have already registered for asylum in another European country or who have a criminal record.

He also proposed placing all asylum seekers in big “anchor centres” while their applications are processed, ending the distribution to smaller asylum sites.

Deleted
    And its playertwelve, treating this forum like her own little white supremacist vlog while moderators stand by uselessly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tholopar View Post
    And its playertwelve, treating this forum like her own little white supremacist vlog while moderators stand by uselessly.
    and whose banned alt are you?
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

They were trying to send the Libyans back to their deaths so I’m not surprised that the Libyans fought fire with fire. Until the Italian workers have dealt with being a refugee and racism in general I have no sympathy for them.
    change can't wait.

Haven't you made enough anti immigration threads that you could just necro one of the older ones? It isn't like there is anything new of any interest in this one anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

The ironic part is that her parents are immigrants....

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    The ironic part is that her parents are immigrants....
    No, they're not. My mother is, my father isn't. My mother being an immigrant has no relevance at all.

They're in custody as we speak. Meanwhile, Salvini's grip is tightening, and the public opinion more and more in favour of North League. Everything is going according to plan.

One of those threads where you know the author just by reading the title itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    One of those threads where you know the author just by reading the title itself.
    The titles I copy from the news articles?

So, what is happening to all the women and children from those regions that never seem to make it on the boats? Are they getting left behind by their men?

Reporting on news is racist? I am so fucking confused.

one could only hope that salvini will keep his word. kudos to him and italy for saying no to these folks
    There is a void in my heart. Have you come to fill it?

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Reporting on news is racist? I am so fucking confused.
    Mutiny isn't mutiny if it's perpetraded by people of colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    Mutiny isn't mutiny if it's perpetraded by people of colour.
    It’s not mutiny they’re homeless and weaponless refugees stop being dramatic
    change can't wait.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    So you mean if i have no home and no weapons and i kill someone i will walk off free then?

When you threaten to kill the crew on a ship that rescued you then you are not a refugee, you don't need any protection. In some other countries you would receive the death penalty for what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    So you mean if i have no home and no weapons and i kill someone i will walk off free then?
    Did they kill anyone? And in their case it’s self defense because those workers were trying to send them back to the very place they were running for their lives from.
    change can't wait.

Did they kill anyone? And in their case it’s self defense because those workers were trying to send them back to the very place they were running for their lives from.
    If you're running for your lives, you take your family with you. Some quality men we have here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    When you threaten to kill the crew on a ship that rescued you then you are not a refugee, you don't need any protection. In some other countries you would receive the death penalty for what they did.
    It was a difference in cultures. Maybe “omg thank you” in Arabic meant “I’ll kill you” in Italian. There was probably a miscommunication because I doubt people that were just recused would suddenly decide to be pirates.
    change can't wait.

It was a difference in cultures.
    Threatening to kill someone who just rescued you is a difference in cultures? Haha, no.
    Maybe “omg thank you” Arabic meant “I’ll kill you” in Italian.