Thread: My Hopes

My Hopes

While I like Vanilla for the grind(y) time sink it was, I really did not like the low population aspect of it as time progressed toward BWL and beyond .. People got burned out or simply lost interest.

I have no doubt several servers of all types will be at Vanilla capacity (3k - 3.5k) when they first open, but MY HOPE is if and when participation in all aspects of the game slows down, the use of current day tech would be considered.

Free migrations is how they handled population issues in vanilla and that's how they have to handle them in classic. #nochanges

10+ Year Old Account
    of course those would be the best ways to fix problems but then we get fanatics that spam "#nochanges" on literally every post they make who flip out when someone throws in a good idea
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Free migrations is how they handled population issues in vanilla and that's how they have to handle them in classic. #nochanges
    I can't see them doing free migrations when they will likely only have a handful of servers. Free migrations make sense when you have hundreds of servers with dozens that have such a low population that you could combine a few of them and have a medium population, not so much when there aren't as many servers.

they did that to handle over populated servers and it did not really work. It is why they stopped doing it. Best plan is make a smaller amount large servers with high capacity at the start and then there will be higher population for longer. Look at Shattered Hand, it went from world first to forgotten about after the migration off of it. When D&T left and many other guilds followed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    of course those would be the best ways to fix problems but then we get fanatics that spam "#nochanges" on literally every post they make who flip out when someone throws in a good idea
    Yeah they are not capable of an intelligent conversation. I am beginning to think that it is a bot

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    they did that to handle over populated servers and it did not really work. It is why they stopped doing it. Best plan is make a smaller amount large servers with high capacity at the start and then there will be higher population for longer. Look at Shattered Hand, it went from world first to forgotten about after the migration off of it. When D&T left and many other guilds followed.
    Well in vanilla they did it because populations grew too large. From what I can tell most people don't have faith in Classic and believe that the opposite will be true. Using free migrations to get people to move off of a high population server is difficult, getting them to move off of a low population server should be much easier.

I personally believe that Classic will follow the exact same pattern as vanilla and servers will only grow and become overpopulated, as long as they follow the exact formula they did with vanilla and don't make any changes to the game like anonymous mega servers.

Free migration was designed for the overcrowded servers at first, where people could easily wait an hour before playing.

I really did not like the low population aspect of it as time progressed toward BWL and beyond
    Besides, I can't remember having to deal with a less crowded server on Vanilla and I'm a bit surprised to hear that. On the contrary, I feel the server was at its peak during that time.
    I doubt they will make ton of servers though. Their best option, in my opinion, is to make less servers with a bigger capacity instead of scattering players on multiple ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    I can't see them doing free migrations when they will likely only have a handful of servers. Free migrations make sense when you have hundreds of servers with dozens that have such a low population that you could combine a few of them and have a medium population, not so much when there aren't as many servers.
    you seem to be under the impression that there's a small vanilla community... there will be hundreds of servers worldwide and most of them will have lengthy queues for the first few weeks. millions of people will be playing classic and most will not just be spending 2-4 hours a day, more like 8-12. so no, there won't be a handful of servers per region, there will be dozens per region and they will be packed. it will die down and at that point they will either need free migration or people will need to xfer to a more popular server. im hoping for migration like most but bli$$ these days likely won't do that, fortunately vanilla isn't really an alt friendly game so most people would need to xfer 2-3 characters at most.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    While I like Vanilla for the grind(y) time sink it was, I really did not like the low population aspect of it as time progressed toward BWL and beyond .. People got burned out or simply lost interest.

I have no doubt several servers of all types will be at Vanilla capacity (3k - 3.5k) when they first open, but MY HOPE is if and when participation in all aspects of the game slows down, the use of current day tech would be considered.
    To be honest, I could imagine that there will be current capacity for classic with limited amount of servers so that they aren't spreading players too much. And one can hope they'll only stick with one language.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by SOFTNUT View Post
    you seem to be under the impression that there's a small vanilla community... there will be hundreds of servers worldwide and most of them will have lengthy queues for the first few weeks. millions of people will be playing classic and most will not just be spending 2-4 hours a day, more like 8-12. so no, there won't be a handful of servers per region, there will be dozens per region and they will be packed. it will die down and at that point they will either need free migration or people will need to xfer to a more popular server. im hoping for migration like most but bli$$ these days likely won't do that, fortunately vanilla isn't really an alt friendly game so most people would need to xfer 2-3 characters at most.

lololololol the delusion is strong in this one

Quote Originally Posted by Healasouhait View Post
    Free migration was designed for the overcrowded servers at first, where people could easily wait an hour before playing.

Besides, I can't remember having to deal with a less crowded server on Vanilla and I'm a bit surprised to hear that. On the contrary, I feel the server was at its peak during that time.
    I doubt they will make ton of servers though. Their best option, in my opinion, is to make less servers with a bigger capacity instead of scattering players on multiple ones.
    In Vanilla there was low server and high pop servers still. It depended on which server you were on and if there was a decent guild there. I know we had horde characters that we would log on to when Laughing Skull went down and it was a dead zone. They finished opening AQ months after everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    In Vanilla there was low server and high pop servers still. It depended on which server you were on and if there was a decent guild there. I know we had horde characters that we would log on to when Laughing Skull went down and it was a dead zone. They finished opening AQ months after everyone else.
    Yeah I know, I was just answering to his thoughts on the impact he felt due to people leaving the game because they were bored. I didn't have this impression at all. More of the contrary in fact.
    But yeah, some servers on the EU side were dramatically empty.