Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

If a thug breaks into your home, what's wrong with killing them as you see fit?

By "see fit," I don't mean torture or anything like that. I just mean why you would be harshly penalized if you were to kill a house intruding burglar even when it's not technically necessary, like if you detained him/her and they were at your mercy. It being entirely your choice, is what I mean.

After all, this person or people broke into your house to rob you or harm/kill you first, it's a horrible crime that happens countless times over and ends in tragedy often. I just saw a news article where a robber tried to break into an MMA fighter's house and the fighter just...restrained him. He threatened him if he tried to resist, but that was it.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...488438981.html

In my mind, if you perform an act such as home invasion, it disqualifies you as a human being.

I don't really see the problem. Bust into my house and I feel threatened odds are one of us is leaving in a bag with some extra holes. But I don't think you have to kill someone in this position. I just don't have a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    I just mean why you would be harshly penalized if you were to kill a house intruding burglar even when it's not technically necessary, like if you detained him/her and they were at your mercy. It being entirely your choice, is what I mean.
    Because it's murder. Obviously.

In my mind, if you perform an act such as home invasion, it disqualifies you as a human being.
    Guess it's a good thing your opinion doesn't matter.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    killing in self defense/defense of one's family yes, though you should really opt for live capture if possible.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

i mean if you just shot em that would be fine, but if you like tied them up and tortured them to death that seems a bit excessive since you already had them incapacitated..

Depends on the state you are in whether its legal or not.

if you break into my home late at night I'm not going to wait to figure out why you are there, i'm going to protect my family and property.

As I said in the other thread, no homeowner or his family should have their lives ruined because some punk decided to break into their house. Either from the criminals themselves or justice system.

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    i mean if you just shot em that would be fine, but if you like tied them up and tortured them to death that seems a bit excessive since you already had them incapacitated..
    no I mean, if you got into a scuffle and the result was the invader being incapacitated, why aren't you allowed to kill him at that moment?

10+ Year Old Account
    Part of me agrees, but personally I don't think if I had someone restrained in my house I could kill them. Sure, in a flash moment defending myself I would do anything and everything possible to survive/get away. But to restrain someone and have a situation under control and just to kill them? Seems a bit much imo. It's very situational though when different emotions get involved. Like say someone broke into a house and killed someone's wife or kid, then the husband was able to restrain the intruder. I could see the husband killing them on the spot, and justly so. It all depends on the situation and what emotions are flaring I guess? Idk if this at all made sense lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I invite you into my home, what's wrong with killing you and claiming that you broke in?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

no I mean, if you got into a scuffle and the result was the invader being incapacitated, why aren't you allowed to kill him at that moment?
    Because it's no longer self defense.

You always have the right to self-defense, but you don't have the right to do anything you want even if it's your own home. Burglary does not in fact "disqualify you as a human being." So no, you can't just torture someone or kill them without justification. You'll go to prison.

Morally, there is nothing wrong with it. Legally speaking though, some stupid rules can apply depending on where you are.

Why would you want to?

Murder is also a crime and killing someone without a need to(unless a politician orders it) is murder.

You are not the jury, judge and executioner just because they broke into your home.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Are you fucking with us? You don't see why executing someone that's unable to do anything is bad?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Because it's no longer self defense.
    but he threatened your well being and life

Hi friends, the OP is not arguing in good faith and you are all being baited. Hope this helps!
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Are you fucking with us? You don't see why executing someone that's unable to do anything is bad?
    What if that intruder just killed your wife or kid? Would executing them be entirely bad?

Quote Originally Posted by --Code-- View Post
    What if that intruder just killed your wife or kid? Would executing them be entirely bad?
    Yes. Anymore stupid questions?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing