Poll: How do you prefer soloing old content?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Opinion] Current legacy content difficulty is how it should be

I've been doing Mythic Blackrock Foundry on a few characters and I must say, it's far more enjoyable not slaughtering the bosses within 10 seconds. They usually take me 2-3 minutes depending on the fight as a pretty casual player, not a min/maxer by any means. Also you rarely take any damage, but there are certainly some mechanics and fights that will kill you if you don't put at least a little effort into it. I understand a lot of people enjoy soloing old raids for the mindless spam fest to get collectible gear and mounts very quick, but I find this current difficulty of Mythic BRF the sweet spot for soloing old raids.

This is how it was back in Cataclysm and perhaps MoP before the legacy scale Uber-damage buff happened. I absolutely looooved soloing old raids back then because they presented at least a tiny bit of challenge. Just my opinion! Let me know how you guys feel.

Deleted
    It seems like you're looking for a challenge in old content. In which case you're doing the wrong content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alright View Post
    It seems like you're looking for a challenge in old content. In which case you're doing the wrong content.
    Haha I totally understand that sentiment. I just have difficulty in group content, have always been more of a solo player. In this case, the challenge that soloing old raids gives is kind of my niche I guess. But I understand not everyone plays the game the same for sure. Also, this is what the mage tower did wonderfully at! Definitely hope BFA has something similar at some point!
    Last edited by Ladey Gags; 2018-07-23 at 12:21 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladey Gags View Post
    Haha I totally understand that sentiment. I just have difficulty in group content, have always been more of a solo player. In this case, the challenge that soloing old raids gives is kind of my niche I guess. But I understand not everyone plays the game the same for sure.
    Nice profile pic by the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice profile pic by the way.
    Thanks, sums her up pretty well.

I don't mind the boss standing in for a few seconds. I don't want it to drag on and on either. In the end I just don't put much weight in on it either way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Old content meant for 10-20 people, it's perfectly fine for previous expansion's raids to be challenging, but soloable. I too find it to be much more enjoyable as a challenge, I spent so much time soloing vanilla raids in WotLK for this exact reason, and BC raids in Cataclysm (particularly Kael'thas in Temptest keep, that was a fun fight to solo because it actually required a strategy to beat, and he'd wreck you if you weren't on top of your shit), the bosses could actually kill you if you weren't careful but they could still be soloed (aside from a couple bosses that had wonky mechanics like Razergore and Vaelastrasz). Content that can be done in one's sleep is boring, and I refuse to do it, regardless of the rewards, I want content that actually requires me to stay awake, even if I'm just farming transmogs, even if I'm just farming vanity items that I'll never use (like I was when I was doing MC/BWL in WotLK, for Hand of Ragnaros, Thunderfury, Ashkandi, and Judgment armor)...

If everything is a pushover it just feels like a chore, something I have to mindlessly slog through, if it poses some sort of challenge it's fun, it doesn't feel like a chore anymore, it feels like a game.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2018-07-23 at 12:50 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Or it's super-fast, or it's as dificult as current content.

In-between is just boredom without challenge. When it's at least fast, it's just non-challenging, but quick enough to not be boring.

super fast, i spent weeks progressing some of those bosses, if i'm 4 expansions stronger i shouldn't need to do anything but turn up collect loot, after all it's useless and no challenge anyway.

If it's only 1 expansion old i can understand it being fun and a challenge because it's not been long and you're not that much stronger, but really old bosses? nah just gimme my loot already.

They either have abilities that are laughably easy to deal with or ones that make them nonsoloable anyway. There is no challenge in soloing old content, just make it faster with every expansion.

Nothing should be trivial anywhere in this game, tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Old content meant for 10-20 people, it's perfectly fine for previous expansion's raids to be challenging, but soloable. I too find it to be much more enjoyable as a challenge, I spent so much time soloing vanilla raids in WotLK for this exact reason, and BC raids in Cataclysm (particularly Kael'thas in Temptest keep, that was a fun fight to solo because it actually required a strategy to beat, and he'd wreck you if you weren't on top of your shit), the bosses could actually kill you if you weren't careful but they could still be soloed (aside from a couple bosses that had wonky mechanics like Razergore and Vaelastrasz). Content that can be done in one's sleep is boring, and I refuse to do it, regardless of the rewards, I want content that actually requires me to stay awake, even if I'm just farming transmogs, even if I'm just farming vanity items that I'll never use (like I was when I was doing MC/BWL in WotLK, for Hand of Ragnaros, Thunderfury, Ashkandi, and Judgment armor)...

If everything is a pushover it just feels like a chore, something I have to mindlessly slog through, if it poses some sort of challenge it's fun, it doesn't feel like a chore anymore, it feels like a game.
    Yes! This is exactly what I mean! Even if it's just for something silly, mindlessly rushing through dungeons makes it seem like such a chore. Adding even a micro dose of challenge into the mix spices it up just enough to make it actually seem like a video game.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Nothing should be trivial anywhere in this game, tbh.
    That's what I'm coming to realize about this game. Most people seem to think the opposite, that triviality is necessary because it's a video game. I think this is just something with today's generation. Because our lives are so busy, coming home and relaxing to a video game can be nice. But do we not miss those days of banging our heads against a boss until we finally beat him and get that addictive surge of adrenaline? That is what gaming always was for me, albeit mostly solo (which is why I find solo content in WoW far more engaging if it provides some sort of challenge).

That's what I'm coming to realize about this game. Most people seem to think the opposite, that triviality is necessary because it's a video game. I think this is just something with today's generation. Because our lives are so busy, coming home and relaxing to a video game can be nice. But do we not miss those days of banging our heads against a boss until we finally beat him and get that addictive surge of adrenaline? That is what gaming always was for me, albeit mostly solo (which is why I find solo content in WoW far more engaging if it provides some sort of challenge).
    I don't think many people "remember" encounters that were pushovers, nor gear that was easily acquired. Instead, folks are much more apt to recall things that they had to earn (there's that word again), or strive to attain.

I mean, the mage tower was a perfect example, the reward was 100% cosmetic, yet it seems that most players completely enjoyed the experience. Mindless relaxing fun has its place in gaming as well, but this title skews rather heavily in favor of that.

Content from the past expansion should be like in Warlords and should be able to kill you.

Content from 2+ expansions should be faceroll. We've done it, it's old news, gimme my loot and stop bothering me.

Deleted
    Depends, ages ago I used to enjoy the challenge - I remember back in TBC, WOTLK and Cata soloing old content was pretty tight - I remember world first Hellfire Ramparts solos being done with things like T5 hunter sets that increased pet healing or something iirc.

These days I kinda just want to get through it, spending forever soloing ICC for invincible, trawling through annoying stuff like Flame Lev and it's leadup trash, Galakras, Spoils, Spine and Ultraxion trash has made me just want to get it done.

If you want challenging old world content. Go there with chars for that level. it should not take 3-5 minutes killing a boss that is several expansions old. Raids we did WEEKLY when it was current. I am farming for mounts. With 7-10 chars weekly. i do about 20 raids per day with each character to get these mounts. Now you are saying that ontop of this incredible bore fest i need to spend even MORE time killing the bosses ?

If you really want challenging shit. Do it when it is challenging. Not Fucking years later

Yes! This is exactly what I mean! Even if it's just for something silly, mindlessly rushing through dungeons makes it seem like such a chore. Adding even a micro dose of challenge into the mix spices it up just enough to make it actually seem like a video game.
    To be fair, the direct previous expansion is usually a challenge for soloing while expansions that are 2+ years removed are faceroll. That generally provides two years of at least some challenge and progression in terms of soloing.

With Legion Blizz took the "MOOOOOREEE POWAAAH!" route and the combination of legendaries and artifacts made us so absurdly strong that players were soloing content in the current expansion (decently high M+ dungeons, bosses throughout NH, etc.).

I would be fine with Blizz going back to the 2+ year model. What I do find annoying is how things like 25H LK + plus some Cata and MoP bosses take far longer than they should be taking for content that is frankly ancient.

Basically: Yes, I should have to pay attention to WoD mechanics to actually beat the fights (for the most part I really didn't need to). I should not have to pay attention to mechanics on a boss that has been outdated for 5+ years and I overpower by 20+ levels.
    Last edited by Fritters154; 2018-07-23 at 01:29 AM.

Not at all. Current expansion content has been soloable by tank specs since WOTLK days and only got worse in future expansions as they added multiple difficulty modes per tier and finally the titanforging debacle we have today. Anyway it's worse now, but soloing current content has always been a thing.

I hated not being able to one shot stuff initially, but after messing around a bit more with old content this week I'm coming around to the idea.

imho - if you want challenge, then run the content at the appropriate level bracket. Legacy content should be easy farming for max level characters. I don't really want to experience the mechanics of a fight when I'm farming.

Now - I would be more open to raid scaling to make them more challenging solo content IF they significantly increased the drop rate of rare stuff (like mounts). If I only have to farm ICC a handful of times to get that stupid horse, then I have no problems with it taking longer and having me need to react to mechanics. But if I have to run it 100x, then I don't want mechanics anymore.