Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Lot's of usually pro Muslim folks are for this.

It's going to affect Muslims almost exclusively.

Violating religious freedom isn't a good thing and it's bad for multiculturalism.
    Supporting people's religious freedoms does not extend to allowing them to neglect or abuse their children.

I don't need to know what someone's faith is to state that they shouldn't be allowed to deny their children basic education.

Deleted
    It nice to see when america move towards the norms of the Civilised world

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ragemv View Post
    It nice to see when america move towards the norms of the Civilised world
    The story's about the UK. Maybe try reading the article before knee-jerking into the thread?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post
    Not necessarily. My dad ( a US Marine) threatened me with broken bones if I had sex while i was still under his roof. I didn't until I was out.

No woman is worth taking a beating from a jarhead.
    So then they'll fuck outside of the home. This ain't rocket science.

This is a great way to get more parents to pull their kids out of public schools, hastening their collapse due to lack of enrollment. Did Trump plan this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    This is a great way to get more parents to pull their kids out of public schools, hastening their collapse due to lack of enrollment. Did Trump plan this?
    *clears sinuses loudly*

Quote Originally Posted by Endus
    The story's about the UK. Maybe try reading the article before knee-jerking into the thread?
    On that note, homeschooling needs to be illegalised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. It should be monitored though. My brother had a girlfriend who doesn't have her diploma since her parents didn't follow the program properly for homeschooling. So her, nor her siblings, have anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. It should be monitored though. My brother had a girlfriend who doesn't have her diploma since her parents didn't follow the program properly for homeschooling. So her, nor her siblings, have anything.
    Nah, it's too easy to abuse. Plus most homeschooling is just code for "religious indoctrination", which is about as good as abusive.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    In before zealots who have no concerns over teenagers' health show up ripping their hair out in the name of religious freedom.
    You lost a bit of control there... went off topic a bit but to be honest the parents should be the ones teaching their kids Sex Ed. Not doing so is already the start of being irresponsible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Musik-Diversity86 View Post
    You lost a bit of control there... went off topic a bit but to be honest the parents should be the ones teaching their kids Sex Ed. Not doing so is already the start of being irresponsible.
    How about we let the qualified people do the teaching? Kthx.

And if parents try to homeshool, their kids should be taken away from them, and forcibly be taught the dominant culture's values! We did it to the Indians, and every agrees that was a good thing right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, just strongly restricted.

For instance, if I married a gal with a high-power job, like a corporate lawyer making high six figures, she should probably be the one to keep working. I can stay home with the kids (most of the work I've been doing for the last while is self-employed from my home office, anyway).

Given that, based on the quality of local schools and whether I like any of the private schools around us, I'd consider home-schooling our kids. But A> I'm a certified teacher (not working in the field, but maintaining my cert), and B> I'm strongly supportive of the Ontario curriculum, and wouldn't have any problem using that as my baseline.

The problem is when parents have an issue with the curriculum, and want to home-school to get around it. That should flat-out not be allowed.

Low energy, sad.

Who is "pro-muslim", exactly?

"If only they weren't so darn Muslim" am I right?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    Seriously people, it really isn't that hard to find the clit.
    It is not just about that, it is about safe sex practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howeller View Post
    Could always just make it obligatory as a part of biology, but this is certainly better than nothing.
    Pretty much how it worked for us. Sexuality was part of the biology classes.
    5th grade got some basics, 10th or 11th grade got more advanced stuff incl. hormonal reactions etc.

No way to opt out of it here.

We did not learn anything about the LGBT stuff though, not that it would be really needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    And that's why it should be illegal.
    Incompetent parents can ruin a kids future. Leave the teaching to the pros.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I don't need to know what someone's faith is to state that they shouldn't be allowed to deny their children basic education.
    Agreed.
    Law > personal freedoms / religion.
    parents get no say in the curriculum of our schools (and rightly so).

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Good, I really don't see why this couldn't be universal in the Western World. Sex is arguably one of the most important areas to be educated in.
    Especially if you don't want your partner to cheat on you!

How about we let the qualified people do the teaching? Kthx.
    Which could also be the parents. Kthx

Deleted
    Nothing better than parents who don't want their children to be educated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Musik-Diversity86 View Post
    Which could also be the parents. Kthx
    Most parents are not qualified to teach their children much of anything, quite frankly.

homeschooling needs to be illegalised.
    No it doesn't. It needs better oversight to make sure children are being taught relevant information, but it's ridiculous to propose we have to illegalize homeschooling.

Martymark also had a good point in that religious people will simply elect to pull their kids from school wholesale, or send them to weird religious schools, to avoid sex education. It's not an irrelevant point, something does need to be done about that, but making homeschooling illegal is not the answer.