Page 1 of 48
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

Only people with an IQ of 115 or higher can get this right

50%? You either took the double gold box, so the next one will be gold, or you took the gold&silver box, out of which you already took the gold, so the next one can't be gold.

15+ Year Old Account
    Damn my iq is 114

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    C'mon Jay, clickbait titles? You're better than this.

0% cause i ran off with the golden ball and I can't pick another one.

Really though, it all depends on how you view this. Are you asking "what do you think your probability of the next ball being gold is at the time of pulling"? Given the note at the end, that is something you can't know due to not knowing the contents of the boxes.

But are you asking "you know the makeup of the boxes before picking, so what is the probability of getting a double gold ball box after knowing you already picked one of the golden ball boxes"? If this is what is being asked, then it is 50% since you know only two of the boxes contain even one gold ball.

I could go on, but my point is clear, the question isn't very well defined or it is defined in such a way to be confusing on purpose. That or I am over thinking this which is most likely the situation.

Edit - I learned the wrongness of my math in the one statement later in the thread
    Last edited by Moralgy; 2018-07-20 at 08:42 PM.

It's not Rick and Morty thread, nothing to see here move along.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm thinking 66.6% or 2 out of 3? You have 3 outcomes left, out of which 2 can be gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who even knows, I've given up.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2018-07-20 at 08:19 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    C'mon Jay, clickbait titles? You're better than this.
    I thought it was a good question.

Seeing as it says from the same box it's a 50/50 chance. Seeing as you've already gotten a golden ball that means it is either the box with the silver and gold or the box with only gold. The chances of it being the third box with both silver has obviously been eliminated since you pulled a gold.

15+ Year Old Account
    Its 2/3(66.66%), Its basic probability and not something you need 115 IQ to solve.

Edit:

People quoting me, I am 100% sure this is a version of Bertrand's Box paradox, and is basing my answer on that.

See here for more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertrand%27s_box_paradox
    Last edited by Deldavala; 2018-07-20 at 09:43 PM.

It's poorly written and confusing probably deliberately since it's a really lame puzzle. If you have already picked out a gold ball, then the probability of finding another in the same box is either 100% or 0%

But since we don't know which box we're supposed to have picked one out of...

10+ Year Old Account
    Only people with an IQ of 115 or higher can get this right Says who, people with an I.Q over 115?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Wellp, that means box 3 is out of the equation and you are now only working with the possibility of it being box 1 or 2.

There are 4 balls in those 2 boxes, 3 gold and 1 silver.

You took 1 gold so now there are 2 gold and 1 silver remaining.

so 2/3 or 66.666% chance you get a gold.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Deleted
    2/5 why would you take balls out.

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    0% cause i ran off with the golden ball and I can't pick another one.
    That's just playing very dirty! Do you think Jay will not haunt you at any kind of situation, offering you the 3 boxes with remaining balls to chose?

/edit didn't read to the end, missed same box thing.
    Last edited by mmocc9b2dcdfec; 2018-07-21 at 02:21 PM.

The most important question is: Do you put the ball back in the box before picking again?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's 50/50.

We've already eliminated the S/S box. So the only possible boxes we could have pulled from are G/G or G/S. Since we have removed one G from one of these two boxes, our remaining options are 0/G or /S, essentially G or S. Since there are only two options and you can only pull one more ball, the chances are 50/50, or 50% probability.

This is dumb.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

It depends.

Do you put your gold ball back or do you keep it and just draw again?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Projectmars View Post
    The most important question is: Do you put the ball back in the box before picking again?
    We're the only people here with high IQ it seems

Quote Originally Posted by Deldavala View Post
    Its 2/3(66.66%), Its basic probability and not something you need 115 IQ to solve.
    Except you've eliminated the possibility of the box you're pulling from being the S/S box. So the box you're pulling from is either a G/G box or a G/S box. So its a 50/50 chance.

Do you put your gold ball back or do you keep it and just draw again?
    The wording seems to indicate that you pull a different ball.

It's a straight up 50/50. The first reply was the correct one. People get confused by the 3 boxes of which 1 has no gold in them..irrelevant, the chance is still 50%.