Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Saurfang would be the worst Warchief imaginable

*spoilers ahead*

He is shown in the cinematic as an old orc, grieving for the loss of his son and wishing at the very long last to get his warrior's death. He gives up twice: refusing to kill Malfurion and tip the scales in the Horde's favor and allowing himself to be captured by the Alliance. He doesn't know how to lead, which ways are right in this new world, if honor still holds value. He wants to die and be relieved of all the wars, all the horrors he lived through. He is old, tired, broken, conflicted: he is not the Warchief the Horde needs — bold, daring, wise and cunning.

The best he could do is probably oversee training of new grunts, but lead the Horde? Engage in diplomacy, accept new races, conquer new lands for the Horde? The only leader he could be is a symbolic one imo. Disregarding the fact that he would be forever seen as a puppet installed by Anduin if he is ever appointed Warchief.
    Natural Selection: Each time you say "Worgens" as a plural form of the word "Worgen", you have a 2/4/6% chance to be eaten by a grammar nazi.
    Tier 2 talent of the Grammar-specced "Player" class.

Quote Originally Posted by lexonio View Post
    *spoilers ahead*

He is shown in the cinematic as an old orc, grieving for the loss of his son and wishing at the very long last to get his warrior's death. He gives up twice: refusing to kill Malfurion and tip the scales in the Horde's favor and allowing himself to be captured by the Alliance. He doesn't know how to lead, which ways are right in this new world, if honor still holds value. He wants to die and be relieved of all the wars, all the horrors he lived through. He is old, tired, broken, conflicted: he is not the Warchief the Horde needs — bold, daring, wise and cunning.

The best he could do is probably oversee training of new grunts, but lead the Horde? Engage in diplomacy, accept new races, conquer new lands for the Horde? The only leader he could be is a symbolic one imo. Disregarding the fact that he would be forever seen as a puppet installed by Anduin if he is ever appointed Warchief.
    He may not be as good as Thrall or Vo'Jin, but he'd be far better than Sylvanus or Garrosh.

Deleted
    ''Why are we judging Saurfang by our real world morals ?''

I think by now everyone knows youve got a Sylvanas hard on, ohh so edgy. No need to keep making threads.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2018-08-03 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Received Infraction

He's a orc of with a strong sense of Honor and as served his time on the battlefield and as learned that War isn't so awesome and cool. I can see why you think he would be the worst warchief ever. Horde kids today seem to prefer warmongering, genocidal manics for their leaders, so I'm sure old man Saurfang is too boring and Square

Where has Thrall been? He needs to come back and straighten things out. I always liked Sylvanas but she's gone over the top lately. Thrall is the only Orc I ever liked.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

Deleted
    Regardless he's still better than someone who wages a war intending to occupy an area, just to burn it down in a fit of rage over a snarky remark.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    He could turn things around and then hand over the reins to an actually qualified leader (no psychotic tendencies, race hate and so on). Thrall picking Garrosh after everything we saw off him in wotlk was a massive oversight. And fuck knows what Vol'jin was thinking in his final meth-stoned moment.
    Last edited by thilicen; 2018-08-03 at 12:08 PM.

His leadership is the reason why the Horde got past the wall of wisps. His leadership is the reason why Malfurion didn't turn Sylvanas into compost for his plants. He is certainly a better leader than Sylvanas.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    Where has Thrall been? He needs to come back and straighten things out. I always liked Sylvanas but she's gone over the top lately. Thrall is the only Orc I ever liked.
    Thrall showed an indescribable lack of judgement when he appointed Garrosh, he should stay in hiding.

Saurfang was on board with the invasion of Teldrassil for territory, he just wasn't into the whole "mass murder of civilians" thing, or with helping Sylvanas cheat in a duel. I'm ok with that in a warchief.

He wants to die and be relieved of all the wars, all the horrors he lived through. He is old, tired, broken, conflicted: he is not the Warchief the Horde needs — bold, daring, wise and cunning.
    Conflicted because of the direction Sylvanas' character leads the Horde into. Broken because his Warchief is killing innocenets. Certainly old and tired, yet still capable to save his Warchief and lead an army succesfully into NK.

Nah, the worst would be Baine, but, yeah, Saurfang isn't a great option either... Old orc's char has been butchered over the past few years due to inconsistencies in writing.

But that's a major Horde issue in general. Right now there's no character who'd be a decent Warchief, Lor'themar is the most levelheaded among them all, but he wants nothing to do w/ politics, even ruling his own people is more than enough for him.

Horde racial leaders are in need of a proper char development.

Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    Thrall was written out of bfa because chris metzer (previous game lead and thralls voice) had surgery and could no longer voice thralls character

Look, another Sylvanas fanboi.

Saurfang is old. He started to think like old people; most of the shit he has done doesn't make sense to him now. I agree, old Saurfang is a bad Warchief. Not sure why did they kill Vol'jin so fucking quickly. He represented the spirit of Horde quite well.

Deleted
    *spoilers ahead*

I think Anduin would be a worse warchief. Or Grumpymuppet, the mighty alliance death knight ... is also worse then Saurfang. So your point is invalid

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    with helping Sylvanas cheat in a duel. I'm ok with that in a warchief.
    Lore-wise the only reason why Saurfang is still alive is that Sylvanas saved his ass from Malf in "A Good War", otherwise Saurfang would be dead now, although it's hardly a problem for Saurfang because that's exactly what he wanted. He even disappointingly grunted when Malf ran off to fight Sylvanas and left him alone.

There's no such thing as a duel during the wartime, moreover, Malf laughed at the idea of Mak'gora when Saurfang challenged him. For Malf that's some barbaric bs no one should care about.

"Elegy" and "A Good War" are short novels that depict certain events at the beginning of the Burning of Teldrassil.
    Last edited by ls-; 2018-08-03 at 12:20 PM.

He wants to kill himself, it's pretty obvious why the Allianve likes him. As for the Horde players: Would you really like to follow someone into battle whose only goal it is to have an "honorable death"?

"Hey guys, great news, we are all gonna die today!"

The only thing he has got going for him is that he is not Sylvanas. And guess who else is not Sylvanas: Basic Campfire!

as long as we're at war
    sylvanas will be a good warchief

saurfang would be horrible either way tho, he's literally a traitor, has no will to live, and is basically a big void of nothingness.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by calcifar View Post
    ''Why are we judging Saurfang by our real world morals ?''

I think by now everyone knows youve got a Sylvanas hard on, ohh so edgy. No need to keep making threads.
    I do not think such hostility is warranted: I do not think Sylvanas is perfect, I just always try to assess both sides of the problem. Sylvanas may be replaced, sure, but I don't think Saurfang is a viable replacement. I'd ask you to refrain from such a demeaning tone, I do not mean to incite a flame war.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    He's a orc of with a strong sense of Honor and as served his time on the battlefield and as learned that War isn't so awesome and cool. I can see why you think he would be the worst warchief ever. Horde kids today seem to prefer warmongering, genocidal manics for their leaders, so I'm sure old man Saurfang is too boring and Square
    Not boring, just old, tired and non-enthusiastic. All he wants is to die an honorable death.
    Last edited by lexonio; 2018-08-03 at 12:21 PM.
    Natural Selection: Each time you say "Worgens" as a plural form of the word "Worgen", you have a 2/4/6% chance to be eaten by a grammar nazi.
    Tier 2 talent of the Grammar-specced "Player" class.