Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Sylvanas is one of the most popular WC characters. The path set now will hurt WC.

Keep in mind Garrosh was originally going to be written as an anti-heroic figure, but he went off the rails because of his unpopularity with the fandom. Who knows, maybe his emo phase rubbed off on people badly and Blizzard used this as an excuse to do away with him and create two expansions in the process.

But Sylvanas since her inception and earliest days has consistently been one of the most popular and complex characters in Warcraft, the best even IMO. Blizzard going down this route only has one way of ending and it's not fair or right. Sylvanas should not die, there is no indication her popularity has ever waned enough to go down this path of raid boss.

But with recent developments, this is pretty much irreversible and there's nothing that can be done about it. I just want to know why in the fuck Sylvanas?

Deleted
    Popularity is not a shield. Arthas was the most popular character in Warcraft by far, he still died in the second expansion of World of Warcraft instead of going through a redemption arc.

Well theoretically there could be ways to save her. @MyWholeLifeIsThunder made a suggestion in another thread how this could be solved:

Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    Lol the real Sylvanas is locked on a cage and this whole time it has been an impostor!

"How long do you think you will be able to keep this up?" Sylvanas asks through hissed teeth, knowing very well the answer.

"For as long as I please, little banshee" Her face that is not her face smiles back to her. "Have I given anyone reason to doubt I'm you?" Sylvanas, the real Sylvanas, glowers. "Shhh, don't be vexxed, I'm just doing what not even you had the strength to do." The Sylvanas mask starts to fade, her mirror's image becoming more beautiful for a second, then impossibly monstrous in their writhing of tentacles.

"So easily swayed, this Horde of yours" Azshara smiled sweetly, venomously. "I'll have more uses for them yet." Aszhara touched her pendant, that cursed pendant, and Sylvanas felt her tattered soul stretched to a snap one again. When she opened her eyes, she saw herself again, with that damned smirk she had come to hate "But first, let's settle some old debts with my former subjects. They have forgotten, but I do not."

UwU my Sylvanas fix it fic which I low key really want.
    That would be one way to salvage it, but it remains to be seen. I'm still somewhat hopeful Blizzard isn't stupid enough to do a SoO 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Baine is like the most unlikeable character you are supposed to like.

5+ Year Old Account
    So Sylvanas will become a raid boss because LFR 3/11 want dark ranger transmog. That is not possible...

*looks at alliance plebs with Garrosh shoulders

She is not dying anytime soon. She still fights for the horde.

I don't think they want another garosh. She will be the one to save it all.

10+ Year Old Account
    We didn't kill Garrosh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightsworn View Post
    Popularity is not a shield. Arthas was the most popular character in Warcraft by far, he still died in the second expansion of World of Warcraft instead of going through a redemption arc.
    Unlike Sylvanas though, Arthas was wholly evil and confirmed to never be brainwashed. There's no redeeming him if you went through the quest of where Tirion and some DKs sought out his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserChild9 View Post
    We didn't kill Garrosh...
    Garrosh isn't even dead. My friend tried using corpse explosion on him in Nagrand and was greeted with the error message "Target is alive". Garrosh to return and kill her because she didn't watch her clever mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Unlike Sylvanas though, Arthas was wholly evil and confirmed to never be brainwashed. There's no redeeming him if you went through the quest of where Tirion and some DKs sought out his heart.
    And how exactly is Sylvanus any different? She's just as evil if not more than Arthas.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Deleted
    Doesn't the fact that Sylvanas ends up in the same hell as Arthas once she dies prove that she is just as evil as him?

Indeed, when Garrosh asked Sylvanas what difference was there between her and the Lich King, she didn't answer with "I am not as evil as him" or "I use more honorable methods". She only said "I serve the Horde".

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Doesn't the fact that Sylvanas ends up in the same hell as Arthas once she dies prove that she is just as evil as him?

Indeed, when Garrosh asked Sylvanas what difference was there between her and the Lich King, she didn't answer with "I am not as evil as him" or "I use more honorable methods". She only said "I serve the Horde".
    If you read the chronicle books, the afterlife is described as a nightmarish land of decay.

So no, not confirmation at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    And how exactly is Sylvanus any different? She's just as evil if not more than Arthas.
    Arthas is a sociopathic omnicidal maniac, that's how. Sylvanas isn't out to destroy all life, cares about certain people, and has feelings.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sangris View Post
    That would be one way to salvage it, but it remains to be seen. I'm still somewhat hopeful Blizzard isn't stupid enough to do a SoO 2.0
    Azshara screaming "For the Horde" at the battle for Undercity? That would be something.

Deleted
    Popularity is not a shield; and should not be a shield.

Well theoretically there could be ways to save her. @MyWholeLifeIsThunder made a suggestion in another thread how this could be solved:

That would be so contrived... I'd rather jsut see her die.

That idea is the biggest cop-out I've ever seen. Please no.

Night Elves are one of the most popuplar WC races. The path set for them in 14 years of WoW has hurt WC.

Just sayin.

Honestly Ido think that Sylvanas is 100% about that; life is a weakness for her, so this is def starting as a Garrosh scenario.

What I think would be most interesting then is approach the deneuement differently; instead of Garrosh's defeat by an unified Horde/Alliance effort, BfA could end with Sylvanas "winning" in a way. What way I can't say, it could even be a win even if she dies, but I think the way to make it different would be to have Sylvanas actions change the fabric of the status quo so much the world is never the same after this.

Maybe it causes horde and alliance to break down, maybe Kamildor to become wholy Horde, maybe she and her followers form a third undead faction. The consecuences to Sylvanas actions HAVE to be just bigger than SoO, and the most shocking twist would be if it is a "win" for her.

Personally, I'd like for the factions to "dissolute" and hold much less power in the narrative while nominally still existing like coalitions, but the truth of the adventurer to become more of a free agent (perhaps with some harsh restriction to some areas) and Sylvanas to lead her own faction of dead worshipers of every race.

So you want the most popular character to be completely neutered from both development and competence by 'lol she in a cage'. That's incredibly cheap and hurl-worthy.

Deleted
    Arthas is a sociopathic omnicidal maniac, that's how. Sylvanas isn't out to destroy all life, cares about certain people, and has feelings.
    Well but she is. Sylvanas is out there to destroy all life so all can serve her in undeath and she thinks that being undead is so much better than alive. She cares pretty much only about herself. Stop lying to yourself, she's evil AF