What should I upgrade for BFA?

Video Card: GTX 670
    Processor: i5-3570k
    Memory: 8g DDR3 SDRAM

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

WoW is and always has been CPU limited for anything other than open world questing. If you can OC that CPU a fair bit it will probably be better, for other games and just running the higher graphics settings, to get a new GPU.

Guess it also depends on what resolution you want to play at, what other games (if any) you want to play, and what content you do in WoW if so.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2018-08-09 at 03:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't have an SSD: Buy one
    If you just play WoW: Upgrade your CPU, which also means new MOBO and RAM.
    If you also play other games: OC your CPU (if your heatsink can handle it), and buy a new GPU.

Do you have issues running the game? If not, nothing I would say.

If you have issues let us know what they are and we can advise accordingly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get an SSD if you don't already have one.

What is your budget?
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by locs View Post
    Video Card: GTX 670
    Processor: i5-3570k
    Memory: 8g DDR3 SDRAM

Any input is appreciated, thanks!
    Your GPU is very outdated. Get at least something like a gtx 1050 ti or 1060.
    The CPU is pretty good actually and the RAM is also just fine.

A good GPU and fast SSD are far more important than a CPU nowadays, for WoW.
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2018-08-09 at 01:12 PM.

CPU is always the most important thing for wow, ignore the above post...

Your setup is very old though and i would recommend either:

- Overclocking your current cpu to 4ghz or above and buying a gpu

Or

- Buying a new cpu which would mean a new motherboard and ram as well.

If you can overclock the cpu to around 4ghz you should be fine for BFA i.m.o.

Also if you can afford it and don't have one - Get a SSD - it helps so much with wow loading screens.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    I, uh... No.

An SSD will not increase your FPS in WoW. Until your storage becomes a bottleneck (texture loading), it won't do anything other than increase loading screen times and player pop-in on zoning in somewhere.

WoW is still, and always has been, CPU-bound for the likes of anything other than making things look pretty. If you want to do raids/PvP/anything with more than a couple of players/NPCs in your view - the CPU is what is doing most of the work for your minimum frames.

Saying an SSD and GPU are better than a CPU in terms of performance (i.e. FPS) is just outright silly. With that said, I'd definitely recommend an SSD if you haven't got one, but that's nothing to do with actual performance, more like dual monitors and... - Once you have them you can't go back.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2018-08-10 at 02:25 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your GPU is very outdated. Get at least something like a gtx 1050 ti or 1060.
    The CPU is pretty good actually and the RAM is also just fine.

Wait wut!?

No, For WoW a GPU and SSD over a CPU is the worst advice. FFS everyone saying get a SSD before anything is fin retarded and you need to get out of these forums.

Where do you all get this garbage from. SSD is a luxury item, and does not increase framerates!

Wow needs a good and high clocked cpu for starters, for gpu a GTX 1050Ti or 1060 is fine especially for 1080p (which no one has even asked except @Soisoisoi).
    @locs - what do you do with your PC, games, software etc and most important, what resolution do you play or plan to go to?

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Wait wut!?

No, For WoW a GPU and SSD over a CPU is the worst advice. FFS everyone saying get a SSD before anything is fin retarded and you need to get out of these forums.

Where do you all get this garbage from. SSD is a luxury item, and does not increase framerates!

Wow needs a good and high clocked cpu for starters, for gpu a GTX 1050Ti or 1060 is fine especially for 1080p (which no one has even asked except @Soisoisoi).
    @locs - what do you do with your PC, games, software etc and most important, what resolution do you play or plan to go to?
    I know what I'm talking about lol.

I never said that an SSD will improve FPS (nor is OP expilicitly asking for that), but using an SSD will massively improve loading times, even when you're already in-game.

Also the GPU is nowadays far more important than the CPU since WoD. Just check CPU and GPU usage while playing as a starting Point.

And looking at OP's Setup, the CPU is definitely good for WoW, however the GPU will definitely Bottleneck him. I know that because I had a similar Setup ffs.

15+ Year Old Account
    I know what I'm talking about lol.

I never said that an SSD will improve FPS (nor is OP expilicitly asking for that), but using an SSD will massively improve loading times, even when you're already in-game.

Also the GPU is nowadays far more important than the CPU since WoD. Just check CPU and GPU usage while playing as a starting Point.

And looking at OP's Setup, the CPU is definitely good for WoW, however the GPU will definitely Bottleneck him. I know that because I had a similar Setup ffs.
    GPU handles aspects like shadows etc, CPU handles draw calls, I know what I am talking about. Yes a decent gpu is important, but it is not more important than the cpu. WoW is still, as of right now more dependent on cpu than gpu especially in raids ffs.

As far as any upgrading he needs, you cant advise someone without knowing budget, resolution and what else he does with his PC. He may have a $200 budget, and until the OP chimes in, no one knows.

Thanks for all the replies! I pretty much just play wow, occasionally civ 5 or other random games but mainly wow. My resolution is 1920x1080 never really thought about going higher but I could if it makes a big difference. I do have an SSD, only 119gig though. Budget wise I don't mind doing a full motherboard, ram, gpu, cpu, ssd upgrade but if I can get away with just doing the GPU that would be great. I just want to be able to run BFA at max-ish settings smoothly.

15+ Year Old Account
    1080p requires nothing more than a GTX1060 6GB/RX580 8GB Video card for most games. However, nvidia is about to release new mid range cards somewhere in the Oct/Nov months, xx70/80 flavors are rumored for September.

That being said, I would wait, as Intel is also releasing new chips around the same time. If you OC that 3570k to 4.1/4.2GHz (easily done with a decent board and cooler), even with a older 670 you should be fine at 1080p with a preset of 6 or 7 with shadows turned down and have a decent experience in wow.

Questions would be, what motherboard and cpu cooler do you have currently?

Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by locs View Post
    Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
    If you are OCing it, and thats all you play? Unless you have money to burn I would hold off, the new cards (20xx series) are going to most likely be expensive, the current gen cards are dropping, however, Intel is coming out with some new chips but they may cost more than the current lineup with little improvements.

So, buy now or keep. I would keep and wait until the first quarter of 2019 and see what it looks like.

Deleted
    Your cpu is fine. If you can overclock then upgrading will net too little difference.

A 1050 2gb or rx 560 will outperform the old 670gtx easily. That will give you the biggest performance increase. Also enjoy the power savings/cool gpu.

SSD is for loading. Worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tegg View Post
    Your cpu is fine. If you can overclock then upgrading will net too little difference.

A 1050 2gb or rx 560 will outperform the old 670gtx easily. That will give you the biggest performance increase. Also enjoy the power savings/cool gpu.

SSD is for loading. Worth it!
    Wow, I pretty much have the exact build. I was just looking at possibly buying a $1300 build Ryzen build. I'm thinking of just getting a new GPU to last me a while.