10+ Year Old Account

Question [Balance] New to Boomkin: Starlord

Hey guys,

I'll be maining a Boomkin Druid for BFA. It's my first expansion as a Boomkin Druid. I have been playing resto a bit at the end of Legion.

I was wondering about playing with the Starlord talent. Do I need to adjust my rotation to optimally benefit from it?

What I mean is mainly when using Celestial Alignment.

- Should I make sure I pool up Astral Power, and don't have any Starlord stacks, refresh dots, pop CA, then cast Starsurge twice to make the most of the haste buff?
    - Or should I just follow my normal rotation, and don't worry about Starlord too much, using CA whenever it becomes available?

Thanks!

Tom
    Warlock (SL main)

For the most part, normal rotation, but you should take notice when Starlord starts to fall off on the second half the duration and if you can manage, maybe pool some AsP without overcapping (don't just pop Starsurge/fall when you just hit 40 unless it's extremely important to do so). Then blast your targets with all you've got to go back up on stacks pretty quickly.

For the record, this was a set bonus from the 2nd to last tier (ToS) where it was 5 stacks with I believe a shorter duration, and that's pretty much how we all did it. Like yeah, mostly normal, just don't intentionally pop SS/SF at 40 AsP when Starlord is close to expiring.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

As Polar said, it's pretty much:

1. Build up to ~90-95 AP (if you're just starting combat, I guess it doesn't matter as much and you can use SS at 40 AP to get the buff earlier)
    2. Bash the shit out of that Starsurge button
    3. Build up to 40 AP
    4. Get 3rd stack
    5. Build up
    6. Starsurge only if you're going to overcap
    7. When Starlord drops off, bash the shit out of that Starsurge button

So it's kinda balancing at high AP without overcapping gameplay when Starlord is active. It's be pretty fun with high haste values.

10+ Year Old Account
    Got it! So basically pool up without over capping when Starlord is about to expire.

You guys manage to keep up Starlord close to 100%?
    *edit* just checked the guy with most damage on Worldbreaker Mythic as Boomkin with Starlord, and he's at 82%
    Last edited by Thundertom; 2018-08-12 at 11:21 AM.
    Warlock (SL main)

Should note that because additional applications do not extend the buff time, you should refrain from SS'ing if there is less than 5 seconds left of Starlord (arbitrary, but I'm sure some theorycrafters have an exact time). Find a WA to track this with, it'll make this a bit easier to manage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeranath View Post
    Should note that because additional applications do not extend the buff time, you should refrain from SS'ing if there is less than 5 seconds left of Starlord (arbitrary, but I'm sure some theorycrafters have an exact time). Find a WA to track this with, it'll make this a bit easier to manage.
    Yeah I have made a Weakaura to track. 5 secs looks about right. As long as I don't overcap on Astral Power, right? Thanks.
    Warlock (SL main)

Quote Originally Posted by Thundertom View Post
    Yeah I have made a Weakaura to track. 5 secs looks about right. As long as I don't overcap on Astral Power, right? Thanks.
    Only if you don't overcap, yes. The haste bonus isn't worth risking that over.

Exact time depends on your current haste and Eclipse procs. Ultimately, the goal is to have two SS saved up but not risking overcap when it drops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Only if you don't overcap, yes. The haste bonus isn't worth risking that over.

Exact time depends on your current haste and Eclipse procs. Ultimately, the goal is to have two SS saved up but not risking overcap when it drops.
    Yeah Im not known for my perfect play, so it doesnt have to be perfect
    Warlock (SL main)