Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

UK dentist and mother jailed in Dubai for having a drink on an Emirates flight.

Hi all,

Found this interesting article on MSN New Zealand about a UK dentist and mother jailed in Dubai after having a drink on an Emirates flight from Gatwick,London to Dubai.

This is so wrong a person being jailed for having a drink on a flight where it's provided and offered one in INTERNATIONAL AIRSPACE.

Here's the link to the article:https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world...QQ8?li=BBqdg4K

Deleted
    I don't understand why people want to go there after all the news stories about people traveling to Dubai ending up facing problems. Personally, if a country such a reputation as UAE does, I'd stay away from that country.

She was jailed for having the wrong visa and filming airport security, according to the article?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    She was jailed for having the wrong visa and filming airport security, according to the article?
    Not exactly, she was stopped and told she had the wrong visa but was given the option to buy a ticket and return home. Instead she argued with the official which prompted him to ask about the alcohol.

I think the way the doctor and her daughter were treated is deplorable, but the UAE is known to be authoritarian so it's ridiculous to argue with the authorities there.

10+ Year Old Account

I went on a google maps street tore of Dubai recently, and you can tell just how ultra clean and it looks, like in places it looks more like a film set then an actual place people live and work.

That was the only good thing I took away from looking into dudai, and how amazing the Burj Khalifa is. Everything else about the place is just repugnant. You can't even so much as be a human being in it, holding hands, displays of affection, so much as having any political discussion can get you arrested.

Dudai is a pretty oasis, with no soul or humanity to speak of.
    #boycottchina

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I found the above posts fairly hypocritical... Let's see what Dubai requires you to do:

1. No PDA of any sort. No, holding hands isn't anything that gets you into trouble, but no kissing, etc.

2. No alcohol other than in private properties or hotels or clubs. You can drink as much as you like at your own house, at a licensed bar/club, or in most hotels. Just not in public spaces

3. No drugs of any kind.

4. Limited expression of one's body, i.e. no freedom of wearing bikinis and such and in general, you have to behave conservatively.

Now let's see what it offers you:
    1. No income tax.
    2. A very clean and safe place to live in.
    3. Infrastructure that's likely second to very few countries in the world.
    4. A very diverse resident population.

Now consider the fact that it is a Muslim monarchy, and it has made most things quite free. There's no veils required, anyone can drive freely, women and men can be seen together in public.... Compare that to most Muslim countries in that region (Saudi, Kuwait) and you see that they are far more progressive than most countries.

It's their culture and I don't see anything wrong with them changing it at a slow pace. Most people there don't complain about anything other than the cost of living which has risen significantly in the last 10 years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by roxfm View Post
    I found the above posts fairly hypocritical... Let's see what Dubai requires you to do:
    How is my post hypocritical?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese and onion View Post
    How is my post hypocritical?
    I meant to say the tone was generally hypocritical. Most people on these forums expect you to "Respect the culture and lifestyle of [country X] while you are visiting/migrating/living there". Yet, if a Muslim country enacts its laws on foreigners, it is suddenly a terrible thing that leads to nation bashing?

Sorry, it wasn't directed at you personally, and if I came across like that, I apologize.

The lady didn't have a valid visa, and she threw up an tantrum in a country that has strict laws. She was arrested on the technicality of being intoxicated while in a public space, which I do believe the country has a right to do. I wonder how kindly the U.S. ICE officers would take to Mohammed whatever landing on U.S soil without a valid visa.

1. No PDA of any sort. No, holding hands isn't anything that gets you into trouble, but no kissing, etc.

2. No alcohol other than in private properties or hotels or clubs. You can drink as much as you like at your own house, at a licensed bar/club, or in most hotels. Just not in public spaces

3. No drugs of any kind.

4. Limited expression of one's body, i.e. no freedom of wearing bikinis and such and in general, you have to behave conservatively.

1. No income tax.

Now consider the fact that it is a Muslim monarchy, and it has made most things quite free. There's no veils required, anyone can drive freely, women and men can be seen together in public.... Compare that to most Muslim countries in that region (Saudi, Kuwait) and you see that they are far more progressive than most countries.

It's their culture and I don't see anything wrong with them changing it at a slow pace. Most people there don't complain about anything other than the cost of living which has risen significantly in the last 10 years.
    You forgot the death penalty if you're gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    You forgot the death penalty if you're gay.
    Well that's the cherry on top of making it a right wing mecca!
    May 30th, 2019 - Trump admits Russia helped him get elected.

An elected Republican called for biblical law to be implemented and for all non-christians to be murdered. But it's sharia law we should be scared about right?

Republicans ran an actual Nazi for office in 2018 and he got nearly 1/3rd of the votes.

15+ Year Old Account
    "The immigration officer told her the visa was valid for a single visit and said she had to buy a ticket and return to London immediately.

Dr Holman says she pleaded with the 'dismissive and rude' official to allow her to apply for a new visa at the airport telling him her daughter was exhausted.

'The thought of buying another ticket and turning straight around for another long flight was unthinkable,' she said.

During a tense standoff with the immigration officer, Dr Holman said he became angry with her and refused to answer her questions. She said he then asked her if she had been drinking.

'I told him I had a glass of wine on the flight. It was given to me free by Emirates Airlines staff.'
    a person standing in front of a beach: Mr Holman said the experience had been 'devastating' for her children, pictured, and said he hopes they are reunited with their mother soon © Provided by Associated Newspapers Limited Mr Holman said the experience had been 'devastating' for her children, pictured, and said he hopes they are reunited with their mother soon

The official told Dr Holman possession of alcohol – even if consumed – was a crime in the UAE.

As the official became more agitated, Dr Holman started filming him on her mobile phone so that she had some evidence of his rude behaviour.

Within seconds she was surrounded by a dozen armed police and told filming airport officials was a criminal offence."
    "

She mad a bade situation worse by not just turning around she made a big stink during which she committed a criminal offense it seems she should of just turned around and left Dubai is not a place to make drama in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Not exactly, she was stopped and told she had the wrong visa but was given the option to buy a ticket and return home. Instead she argued with the official which prompted him to ask about the alcohol.
    But she wasnt taken into custody because of the alcohol it was only after she started filming which is a criminal offense it would seem as no where in the article does it say what she was detained for in the end.

EDIT No fucking wonder the article is a mess its nothing but a msn copy of a daily mail article it even says DailyMail at the top
    Last edited by Firatha; 2018-08-10 at 03:45 AM.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

3. No drugs of any kind.

1. No income tax.

I am inclined to agree. I wouldn't get in any trouble there, and the rules are posted.... if you don't like it, don't go. It is as simple as that.

For a country that is betting its future on tourism this sort of shit sure isnt gonna do its image any good!

We have seen the arrests of people bumping into someone or kissing on the beach so Dubai needs to have a long hard look at itself.

Does it want to be an Islamic country with Islamic rules or does it want to be a free and open tourist destination cause clearly it cant have it both especially if they are wanting western tourist dollars, Pounds and Euros!

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    That was the only good thing I took away from looking into dudai, and how amazing the Burj Khalifa is. Everything else about the place is just repugnant. You can't even so much as be a human being in it, holding hands, displays of affection, so much as having any political discussion can get you arrested.

Dudai is a pretty oasis, with no soul or humanity to speak of.
    Sounds like my kind of place.

no one can pay me enough to step foot in a Muslim country.

Apparently my university planned a faculty trip to some middle eastern country and nearly all of the female teachers invited refused to go.

It looks like she was detained for more than a mere drink. First her visa wasn't valid, then she argued with airport staff, then she started filming them "for evidence".

10+ Year Old Account
    She's a dentist not a doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

So it's okay to drink in hotels, clubs and homes, but you can't leave them as long as you're intoxicated? How does that work for clubs? Do UAE clubs offer accommodations where you can sleep it off?
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    And people continue to defend this thought process.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    no one can pay me enough to step foot in a Muslim country.

Apparently my university planned a faculty trip to some middle eastern country and nearly all of the female teachers invited refused to go.
    It seems nearly all your Female Teachers are intelligent Women.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    it looks more like a film set then an actual place people live and work.
    That's because it is actually much more of a film set that than a city.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.