Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    The only reason they don't update older zones with newer content each expansion is because their business model is selling expansions.
    And the only way to sell an expansion is to have it set in a zone separate from current content so it can be closed off unless you pay for it.
    Unless they get rid of paid expansions, this model of neglecting older zones in order to continue creating new ones is going to continue.

But the reality is there are only so many "new" places they can go to for an entire expansion.
    Tbf cata was a massive mistake.
    Crimea is Ukraine!

For anyone that thinks that Shadowlands is too boring to make an expansion out of, remember that they turned the Broken Isles (which were literally just fucked up islands and a temple in WC3) into Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, there's no chance that a world revamp will include Outlands or Northrend. The luckiest you're going to get is with an update to Icecrown and you can portal there sometimes: the rest of the area is wholly irrelevant save for the occasional trip to Dragonblight. They aren't going to redo the entire expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by EbaumsTipster View Post
    For anyone that thinks that Shadowlands is too boring to make an expansion out of, remember that they turned the Broken Isles (which were literally just fucked up islands and a temple in WC3) into Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, there's no chance that a world revamp will include Outlands or Northrend. The luckiest you're going to get is with an update to Icecrown and you can portal there sometimes: the rest of the area is wholly irrelevant save for the occasional trip to Dragonblight. They aren't going to redo the entire expansion.
    If the Shadowlands are the Realm of Shadows that starting Death Knights go into, then it could be like the Dream, but a dark reflection of the whole of Azeroth.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

- - - Updated - - -

The thing with Shadowlands is not that it cannot be done. It is that it is not likely to be done. If Blizzard did not make the Emerald Dream an expansion, why would they do it to the Shadowlands. It has all the downsides the Emerald Dream did when it comes to making it a zone, but none of the upsides.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    The thing with Shadowlands is not that it cannot be done. It is that it is not likely to be done. If Blizzard did not make the Emerald Dream an expansion, why would they do it to the Shadowlands. It has all the downsides the Emerald Dream did when it comes to making it a zone, but none of the upsides.
    Most likely because there are not as many interesting entities and factions within the dream to create multiple stories out of. It's similar to Argus: I think they COULD have made it an entire expansion, but because the whole of the planet is just KILL DEMONS LOL they chose not to.

Compare Malfurion/Cenarius/Ysera/Xavius to Bwonsamdi/Bwonsamdi's Boss/Helya/Sylvanas/Bolvar/Vol'jin/Tyr?/Arthas??/Kel'thuzad????

There is a LOT more potential for story in "Death World" than there is the Dream, regardless of how important the Dream is in lore. And there are many many MANY more death themed characters than life themed characters.

Broken isles did not have muchb to work with, but it did have something, namely the Tomb of Sargeras, which could be explained as being connected to Suramar, and suddenly we have 2 zones, Val'shara could be explained as being a part of it by virtue of Black Rook Hold being an important part of the war of the Ancients. And finally we add Highmountain because Huln Highmountain was important in the war of the Ancients, and to round it off Vrykul.
    And the only part of that we actually knew to be part of the Broken Isles is the Tomb. You're not making much of a case why they can't do the same thing for other places.

Most likely because there are not as many interesting entities and factions within the dream to create multiple stories out of. It's similar to Argus: I think they COULD have made it an entire expansion, but because the whole of the planet is just KILL DEMONS LOL they chose not to.

Compare Malfurion/Cenarius/Ysera/Xavius to Bwonsamdi/Bwonsamdi's Boss/Helya/Sylvanas/Bolvar/Vol'jin/Tyr?/Arthas??/Kel'thuzad????

There is a LOT more potential for story in "Death World" than there is the dream, regardless of how important the Dream is in lore. And there are many many MANY more death themed characters than life themed characters.
    Is there though? It sounds to me like you are simply saying that Argus and the Emerald Dream could not work as full expansion continents because they were not death themed.

All the main entities would be centered around the exact same thing, Death. And as fascinating as that could be, how interesting would it be after you get to the 5th variation on death god?

Is there though? It sounds to me like you are simply saying that Argus and the Emerald Dream could not work as full expansion continents because they were not death themed.
    Well, that's not what I said. So moving on...

All the main entities would be centered around the exact same thing, Death. And as fascinating as that could be, how interesting would it be after you get to the 5th variation on death god?
    No, they are all death entities, but as Helya, Sylvanas and Bwonsamdi show (just for three examples) they have very distinct aesthetics, themes and personalities.

I personally did not like the legions (heh) of identical demon commanders in Legion but people loved that shit, so even IF the death people were too same-y (which they aren't) it wouldn't impact the game in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    And the only part of that we actually knew to be part of the Broken Isles is the Tomb. You're not making much of a case why they can't do the same thing for other places.
    I am not saying that Blizzard could not do the same with teh Shadowlands, i am asking why they would, when the Emerald Nightmare was a far more requested expansion idea, and it could have carried the same, if not more variance.

The main crux of the problem is also that, while the Broken isles were a bit of a copout when it came to faithfully recreating the zone from WC3, it did not have any constraints when it came ot making the zones themslves. They all just had to show that the Legion was invading, but it was not like the story was that the entire zone had been underwater, and thus the zones would have to show varying degrees of being underwater.

tl;dr: Why would Blizzard make Shadowlands a continent when the Emerald Dream and Argus did not?

I am not saying that Blizzard could not do the same with teh Shadowlands, i am asking why they would, when the Emerald Nightmare was a far more requested expansion idea, and it could have carried the same, if not more variance.
    Because they'd have to if they wanted to use it as an expansion "continent". The problem with the Emerald Dream is that we already know to much about it. They're rather locked in with how it would have to look. Making a story for it wouldn't have been an issue. But it's been set that it is basically just Azeroth in more green years ago, and now they're stuck with that.

7+ Year Old Account

There is a LOT more potential for story in "Death World" than there is the Dream, regardless of how important the Dream is in lore. And there are many many MANY more death themed characters than life themed characters.
    Not to mention that since Blizzard loves picking apart themes of existing cultures, religions and mythologies they would hit a gold treasure with a death theme.

They already do that with Vodou and Norse Mythology.

Just imagine a warcraft version of Hades, Tartarus, Thanatos, Osiris, Anubis.
    All of the Aztec gods, etc.

Formerly known as Arafal

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    This basically confirms the bluepost from the forum that there's no news coming before Blizzcon.

And this just makes me believe more that the WoW news are more than just 8.3 or 9.0. I think there will be a sub model / another huge change for WoW. If it's just the generic expansion announcement and 8.3 exists it makes no sense to delay its announcement so much.

If we think about it: what huge / massives changes could be made to WoW or it's business / expansion model?
    Still saying it's a soft reboot of the entire game.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Likely, but with optional faction boundaries. Which is honestly what WoW needs right now.

Though I think the lore will never get a soft reboot. The Life vs Death war has too many hangups, unless Blizzard is insane and deals with all the Old God/Tyrande vs Sylvanas shit in 8.3.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    I hope so although 10.0 would have fit that better. But the 15th Anniversary does this too.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    I hope so although 10.0 would have fit that better. But the 15th Anniversary does this too.
    where those speculations of reboot of wow even came from? are there any clues or is it just because one of popular "leaks" mentioned it ?

Quote Originally Posted by brt2pp View Post
    where those speculations of reboot of wow even came from? are there any clues or is it just because one of popular "leaks" mentioned it ?
    Imo it's a farfetched idea that Classic's success will have a disproportionate impact on "retail".
    Hell, Ive seen people arguing for ending modern WoW altogether and doing a "Classic+", with only vague undefined notions of what that would entail.

Quote Originally Posted by Drekmar View Post
    Tbf cata was a massive mistake.
    Prior to the announcement of Cataclysm, Blizzard needed to do the work that went into Cataclysm anyway. The only mistake is not having the tools they have now.

Quote Originally Posted by brt2pp View Post
    Lots of things point to a world revamp, as well as some modification to how the factions work (which is one of the core tenants of Warcraft). Ion has already said that the next expansion will be newcomer friendly (or something along those lines) and there has been an email sent out about an upcoming level squish. They also just did a stat squish and leveling overhaul.

Couple that with apparent sweeping class changes as well as lots of relation to things celebrating WoW's past (such as the Anniversary event and Classic) and there's a lot of signs that whatever is coming next for Warcraft may very well be a lot like a reboot of the game's core features.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarethion View Post
    They will probably have D4 (or whatever they call it) and WoW 9.0. That's 2 huge announcements - I really, really doubt they'd add a third one, so Overwatch 2 is a "no" for me.
    WOW 9.0 aint gonna happen at Blizzcon

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drekmar View Post
    I'd prefer if they start updating the most outdated locations.
    I prefer NEW locations then time wasted on old ones.

- - - Updated - - -

there has been an email sent out about an upcoming level squish.
    If people could STOP spreading this lie that would be great. It was a question what would people think about a level squish NOT level squish is coming! thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    WOW 9.0 aint gonna happen at Blizzcon
    You must be delusional to think that they won't show 9.0 at blizzcon.