Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Brand new to Rogue class

I just used my BfA Boost on a Rogue. I've been playing since Vanilla, but never got around to a Rogue yet. My mains are Ret Paladin, Frost DK, and a little Fury Warrior.

I mainly do M+ and Normal Raids, no PvP.

So now I am Level 110, with start gear, going to Darkshore for the i210_ stuff.

Is Assassination the spec to start with ? I want a fast warp speed attacker, if there's something like Fury ? Is that Assassination or Outlaw ? What are your recommendations ?

The only thing like fury is fury. This isn't really the class for that.
    Top 100.

All the years I've been playing World of Warcraft I thought the Rogue class was always known as the super fast light speed attacker ?

to be honest my Fury Warrior is probably my least played melee class. Much more fan of ret Paladin and frost. I also have a Havoc Demon Hunter but not a big fan of that.

I want to give Rogue Class a shot as its another DPS class I haven't tried before just looking for good ideas and I'm so new to the class I'm a little confused as to which spec to go.

- - - Updated - - -

So I made my way to darkshore to do those World Quests for the i210+ gear. and I have to say I was getting my butt kicked there I'd never died no but my health would go down to about 25%. where's my other main characters I can go in there and mop up those World quest like nothing and barely lose any health. But then again the starter gear I'm at is at like it and no legendaries I know Tier gear either so I'm sure that all makes a big difference?
    Last edited by Zorachus; 2018-08-13 at 02:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would start with Outlaw. Sub is probably my fav spec but it takes a bit more getting used to, with several different mechanics to come to grips with. Assassination is fun too but it feels a bit bland on outdoor solo stuff for me. And the dots don't really get a chance to start rolling there.

Outlaw has a fun extra mobility spell, roll the bones is nice visually, and the speed/energy regen feels smooth. I would start there.

Thanks for the reply, my guild member said Assination first and then go Outlaw.

I'll take your advice and try Outlaw tonight. Any recommendations for PvE Talents for Outlaw ? And a basic rotation while leveling as Outlaw ?

Don't forget robbing guild banks and ganking people.

Also, for outdoor/leveling Outlaw, I'd recommend talents like Hit and Run, Iron Stomach, Blade Rush, and perhaps Dirty Tricks even. Just trying to get a smoother experience.
    Last edited by Archon14; 2018-08-13 at 02:56 PM.

Deleted
    I would advice u to check out Ravenholdt website.

What's a good starter Outlaw rotation ? Or close to what a rotation is today?

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    What's a good starter Outlaw rotation ? Or close to what a rotation is today?
    Start with ambush from stealth, then hit adrenaline rush, sinister strike 5 points weaving in pistol shot procs into roll the bones. Your looking for 2 buffs or shark infested waters/grand melee single buff. Your main combo spender is dispatch unless you hit shark infested then between the eyes replaces dispatch as your combo spender when it's off cd. Weave in killing spree or blade rush as it comes off cd and when you don't have rush up.

As always when you start a new class you should check out the icy-veins/wowhead guides, there you should find most of the answers you are looking for.

I always check Icy Veins and Wowhead, but sometimes they are very specific on talents and a few things, but I am still not sure about the overall class itself ?

A Rogue Assassin vs a Rogue Outlaw ? What's the major gameplay difference between the two specs ? Meaning in PvE stuff, I don't PvP.

And for leveling 110 - 120, you all say I should go Outlaw spec ? At least leveling up those ten levels, should give me good experience about the class.

- - - Updated - - -

A friend on another forum mentioned to go Subtlety, what's your opinion ?

"Give subtlety a try. That's the warp speed teleporting attacker. Kills some mobs on the first hit and you can teleport right to the next if they are close enough.

Get the belt and shoulders with essence if you can, huge DPS boosts from both for pve leveling in BFA. My rogue uses both and its pretty obscene how fast it clears mobs.
    "

- - - Updated - - -

This is a good guide for me to read;
    https://www.wowhead.com/rogue-leveling-guide

Choosing A Specialization
    Rogues are primarily damage dealers. What separates each specialization are their combat styles. Assassination favors slowly killing enemies by masterful usage of bleeds and poisons. Outlaw is more of a direct combat specialization, using blunt melee weapons and tricks like guns, grappling hooks, and even cannon shots. Subtlety favors the usage of stealth to engage enemies from behind, swiftly defeating them and going back to hiding.

Looks like tonight I am trying Outlaw, and maybe Sub too.

tbh Assassin is the fastest for me at 113.
    110-112 was Sub, because I could almost 1 hit mobs.
    Outlaw feels lowest DPS... and PvP talents don't really give anything amazing vs mobs, while Assa and Sub are quite nice.

I just used my BfA Boost on a Rogue. I've been playing since Vanilla, but never got around to a Rogue yet. My mains are Ret Paladin, Frost DK, and a little Fury Warrior.

I mainly do M+ and Normal Raids, no PvP.

So now I am Level 110, with start gear, going to Darkshore for the i210_ stuff.

Is Assassination the spec to start with ? I want a fast warp speed attacker, if there's something like Fury ? Is that Assassination or Outlaw ? What are your recommendations ?
    Assassination is pretty dot focused; to me the game is to get rupture up as early as possible and on as many mobs as possible. As they die they give you back energy based on the remaining duration (venomous wounds). If you can get a good rhythm going you can get into a kind of killing frenzy which is extremely satisfying; the more mobs the better - you'll have to experiment to find your balance point on how many. With good use of cooldowns you can tank a lot of mobs, as long as they do you the favor of coming into melee range. I'm usually limited by mob density more than numbers. To me this is your warp speed attacking method. I recommend the leftmost column of the talent tree up to lvl60 for maximum speed. Highly recommend Leeching Poison, not sure what the guides say but it is essential to leveling for me. Make sure your poisons are on. Kiting anything with crippling poison on is pretty easy, though time consuming. Even packs - a little fan of blades and running away gets that much easier. Seriously, check your poisons, reapply them in an OCD way.

Outlaw I'm not as familiar with. No dots, yes pistol - wish they had a pistol offhand or something, but I suppose it would be silly for one spec. Could hunters dual wield them too?? Getting off topic here, sorry. The spec is extremely straightforward, or haha it is for me because I'm not a fan of Roll the Bones, vastly prefer Slice'n'Dice. Use your pistol at range or on procs. Sinister Strike for CP, Dispatch for DPS. Blade flurry for multiple enemies (this is pretty fun when mixed with Killing Spree). Your pistol finisher is your Kidney Shot equivalent, which is cool. Keeping SnD up is easy.

I'm not too familiar with Subtlety. You don't make aggressive points, I guess.
    Last edited by Zaktar; 2018-08-16 at 08:38 AM.

I know I'm new to the Rogue class but it sort of feels wimpy or wussy like Kylo Ren.

I guess I'm used to playing like the bull in the china shop style with Tanking.

Just used to that type of play, where the Rogue feels fragile, and weak. Even my Havoc Demon Hunter feels tougher and more durable than the Rogue.

Read these:

http://www.ravenholdt.net/outlaw-guide/outlaw-guide/

https://www.wowhead.com/outlaw-rogue-guide

Now read them again...

AND AGAIN...!

;^p

All I have ever played in this game is a Rogue, Combat/Outlaw since Wrath...

I have tried other specs & classes, but all I like is Combat...

You'll figure out what works for you with your rotation(s), and keybinds are a huge help...

I cannot do the Razer Naga / Logitech MMO mice, sausage fingers (well, thumb), but I am considering trying a Razer Tartarus V2 keypad (on the left hand, because, Satan)...

Deleted
    There isn't a rogue spec like Fury as in mash buttons mindlessly. Sub is probably the fastest during its burst but all the rogue specs involve planning when to pool energy and how to manage energy/CP for maximum damage. It isn't whack-a-mole like Fury. If you want the mindless whack-a-mole playstyle then DK would suit you more.

I don't know why you need to be tanky while levelling anyway, sub kills things in a couple of seconds and heals to full between every pack.

Actually I'm not much of a fan of the Fury Warrior, but for my DPS the most fun I have is my Frost death knight and Retribution Paladin those two are a lot of fun but I get your point on the Rogue I'll give Sub a try and really test it for a couple of levels and get comfortable with the rotation and see how it goes thanks for the advice.

In Legion I played 4 characters, a Prot Paladin Tank, Veng DH Tank, Frost DK dps, and Fury / Arms Warrior dps. By far the 2 played the most were the two Tanks the Paladin and Demon Hunter, they were both so much fun, and almost immortal. And then the third character I played was the Frost Death Knight as my main for dps. I really didn't do a ton on the Warrior. I also have the Havoc dps spec on the DH, but could never get comfortable with it, seemed a bit boring with the 2 or 3 button spam and cool down issues at times. Never had the AoTHG ring.

So for BfA I plan to play my Veng DH #1, my Paladin Tank #2, and I need a dps class, which I could use one or both of those Tanks and go Havoc or Ret respectively, but rather have a pure dps class only, and wanna give the Rogue a better shot.
    Last edited by Zorachus; 2018-08-16 at 05:58 PM.

All of the speccs are easy and beginner friendly. Subtlety is slightly (slightly) more technical than the other two, but nothing hard. Anyone saying "START WITH COMBAT" is fucking dumb.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know I'm new to the Rogue class but it sort of feels wimpy or wussy like Kylo Ren.

I guess I'm used to playing like the bull in the china shop style with Tanking.

Just used to that type of play, where the Rogue feels fragile, and weak. Even my Havoc Demon Hunter feels tougher and more durable than the Rogue.
    Play Outlaw then - you get many of the perks that all Rogue specs have (stealth, vanish, cloak, etc) but you are not super reliant of stealth and subterfuge to get what you need done. Good damage, smooth and fluid rotation, and from a speed perspective Outlaw is currently the #2 DPS in regards to APM (actions per minute), which means you're pressing your buttons more as you're hacking and slashing your enemies.

Are you a bit more fragile than a Warrior or DH? Maybe, but you've got maybe the best defensive toolkit in the game and ways to mitigate your "fragility".

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    All of the speccs are easy and beginner friendly. Subtlety is slightly (slightly) more technical than the other two, but nothing hard. Anyone saying "START WITH COMBAT" is fucking dumb.
    Outlaw and Assassination are both, objectively, much easier to get used to at the start than Sub - can't really deny that. And anyone saying "Start with Outlaw" right now is more than likely referring to Zorachus' desire for something to feel like Fury - Sub and Sin are both more plodding, methodical, pooling energy, etc, which isn't like Fury at all, whereas Outlaw is high APM fast paced gameplay, not unlike a Fury in that regard.

So yeah, not sure why you think that's "fucking dumb", but right on man, you do you booboo.
    Last edited by Aggrodesiac; 2018-08-16 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrodesiac View Post
    Play Outlaw then - you get many of the perks that all Rogue specs have (stealth, vanish, cloak, etc) but you are not super reliant of stealth and subterfuge to get what you need done. Good damage, smooth and fluid rotation, and from a speed perspective Outlaw is currently the #2 DPS in regards to APM (actions per minute), which means you're pressing your buttons more as you're hacking and slashing your enemies.

Are you a bit more fragile than a Warrior or DH? Maybe, but you've got maybe the best defensive toolkit in the game and ways to mitigate your "fragility".

Outlaw and Assassination are both, objectively, much easier to get used to at the start than Sub - can't really deny that. And anyone saying "Start with Outlaw" right now is more than likely referring to Zorachus' desire for something to feel like Fury - Sub and Sin are both more plodding, methodical, pooling energy, etc, which isn't like Fury at all, whereas Outlaw is high APM fast paced gameplay, not unlike a Fury in that regard.

So yeah, not sure why you think that's "fucking dumb", but right on man, you do you booboo.
    Thanks for the reply. So what Outlaw talents do you recommend for leveling 110 - 120 ? And what's a good basic rotation, not Raid boss rotation no, but good zone leveling rotation ? Main spells to be ready to use for fighting 2 or 3 enemies out there in the new areas ?