Return player - can i buy just BFA?

Hi guys,

i am wondering, if i am buying from the battle.net just WOW:BFA.... will i be able to play the whole game? (it's cheaper in the battle.net)
    or do i have to buy the "complete collection"?

thank you.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just BFA is fine, they rest is free with a sub now

As far as I see the only difference between the two is that the complete edition is only for new accounts and comes with 30 days of gametime
    Last edited by tangers58; 2018-08-14 at 09:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The new system is this:

No payment = Up to level 20
    Subscription = Up to Legion content (no BFA, 100 cap)
    Purchasing BFA + Subscription = Everything

BFA does not come with a subscription on purchase as far as I Know.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

What do you mean by the rest is free with sub now? i mean there are 2 options, i just cant understand if i will get the whole content or no.
    the bottom line is what is the difference?

i cant post picture, but i guess you know what i mean.... there is WOW: BFA costs 50$ and WOW:complete collection which costs 60$.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    The new system is this:

No payment = Up to level 20
    Subscription = Up to Legion content (no BFA, 100 cap)
    Purchasing BFA + Subscription = Everything

BFA does not come with a subscription on purchase as far as I Know.
    so i guess they give you sub for 10$ instead of 15$ with the complete collection deal?

You need the base game as well, so if you don't have WoW already you need the complete collection. Just buying BFA alone won't do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lightor15 View Post
    What do you mean by the rest is free with sub now? i mean there are 2 options, i just cant understand if i will get the whole content or no.
    the bottom line is what is the difference?

i cant post picture, but i guess you know what i mean.... there is WOW: BFA costs 50$ and WOW:complete collection which costs 60$.

- - - Updated - - -

so i guess they give you sub for 10$ instead of 15$ with the complete collection deal?
    To play Bfa you only need to buy the BfA xpack and pay a sub.

If you only pay the sub fee and not buy BfA you play up to Legion and your level cap is 110.

If you pay nothing your level cap is 20.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    You need the base game as well, so if you don't have WoW already you need the complete collection. Just buying BFA alone won't do.
    That's not true. You only have to pay a sub fee to play to 110 and do Legion stuff. It's right on the WoW website. No other purchase required. Unless you're a new player with a new account. But the OP is a returning player and just needs to pay the sub fee to play Legion stuff.

there is WOW: BFA costs 50$ and WOW:complete collection which costs 60$.
    The complete collection is BfA + 1 month subscription. 1 month is $15 normally so you'd save 5 bucks.

But... you can only use the complete collection on a brand new account. So as a returning player you'd have to buy BfA for $50 to play your old characters and a subscription on top of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, the "Complete Collection" is for new accounts only. If you already have the game (and are returning), you cant get that.

I think they should name it "New Player Pack" or something. "Collection" usually implies... collecting. Or having everything together. It's just weird naming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    No, there is no 'base game' anymore. It's either F2P to level 20, Monthly Sub to Level 110, or BFA + Sub for 120.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    So... you don't have to buy the base game at all. Even as a new player because you can get a free account and just pay a sub to get everything up till BFA, then just buy BFA. What then is the point of the "Complete Collection"?

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    So... you don't have to buy the base game at all. Even as a new player because you can get a free account and just pay a sub to get everything up till BFA, then just buy BFA. What then is the point of the "Complete Collection"?
    It’s basically BFA plus a month’s sub for $10 instead of$15. So, discounted first month for new accounts.
    BFA does not include the extra month, and is for returning players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by javierdsv View Post
    There are two options because you need the base game
    the base game and bfa, or in this case the complete edition.
    There is no 'base game' anymore. You don't (and can't, literally) buy it.

EDIT: I suppose you COULD go find a box version of an older expansion... Im not sure what exactly would happen if you applied it to your account.

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    What then is the point of the "Complete Collection"?
    Collection is $5 cheaper than Sub+BFA, for new players to get in.

Not sure why new players often get perks and rewards and bonuses while longstanding subs dont >.>

Well i might have mislead you guys, by returning i mean.... after 10 years. got no account atm. sorry about that.
    i guess i will have to buy the full collection.... just wondering why blizz wont give a free month for a new player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well i might have mislead you guys, by returning i mean.... after 10 years. got no account atm. sorry about that.
    i guess i will have to buy the full collection.... just wondering why blizz wont give a free month for a new player.
    I mean, your account is still there (if you want to use it). Being gone for 10 years doesnt remove it, I dont think.

That said, I think it's the other way around, in a weird way. The "Box" or "Base Game" used to come with a free month, back in the day. I guess their market system has shifted around. We're seeing a lot more SAS implementation, and you can see that shift with the 'whole game with sub' they rolled out for Legion.

7+ Year Old Account
    The complete edition IS for new players and has a month of game time in it.

Formerly known as Arafal

If you had an account 10 years ago, it's still there waiting for you. Blizzard still gives out a free month to new players when you buy the complete collection (not that bfa is worth this purchase). Heck, not even the characters are deleted: blizzard said that characters are only there for one year back in the days, but in reality they never deleted anything (why, to keep a character in the database does only takes a little space, not worth deleting this)

So if you want to start again, take out your old account, but then it's better just to subscribe, buying BfA you can do it later (or not at all). Try first WoW if it's really as fun as you think (especially with the many broken specs right now it might not be).

Still: yes, you can just buy bfa, and there is also the complete edition, coming with a free month when you create a new account. But if you use your old account, just buy the expansion, it's a little bit cheaper than the complete collection without a free month. But you can't buy the complete collection and get a free month with an existing account.