Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    This thread has some historical sales numbers. Apparently some articles and reports get mixed up between reporting 24 hours sales and first week sales, so these might not actually be accurate
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...s_figures_and/

Vanilla:

240,000 in the first 24 hours.

The Burning Crusade

2.4 million within the first 24 hours

3.5 million within the month

Wrath of the Lich King

2.8 million within the first 24 hours

Cataclysm

3.3 million within the first 24 hours
    4.7 million within the month

Mists of Panderia

2.7 million within the first week

Warlords of Draenor

3.3 million in the first 24 hours
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_..._Draenor#Sales

Legion:

3.3 million in the first 24 hours
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/wo.../1100-6443409/
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Based on the tiny amount of people I see online I'd say the reception is not as good as it used to. But maybe that's due to me using Warmode. I've been used to a lot more players around on day 1 or 2 past launch.
    Everyone is using warmode for leveling, you would be a complete fucking moron not to

How does the shards work? Is it like Gw2 where when so many people are in an area, it opens a new instance/phase of that area?

At any rate, I don't think it is a healthy way for servers to be handled. Nothing worse then being on a locked/full server on a shard that is empty, wtf is the point of going to a populated server if it like being on a dead one?
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    your friends list is more of an anecdote then in game observations, and they're both anecdotal and irrelevant.
    when, and if, blizzard releases the sales numbers we'll have an actual idea of BfA's financial success, not before.
    The opposite. Both are anecdotal but considering how sharding and phasing tech works, you can easily be put into a shard with barely anyone in it. A new shard will be created for you if the others are full. Happened to me a few times in legion and BfA where I’d be in a shard that has nobody, join a group and instantly there’s hundreds of people running around.

- - - Updated - - -

Out of like 30 people on my list 5 are playing. The rest is not. So...

It's obvious that people return to a new expansion when it's released. I just don't see much people in game, in the zones. That's what I said and that's not really subjective. It might be due to War Mode but I don't know. It's a lot less crowded than Legion was in the first days.
    All depends. Read the above post to see a possible reason for that.

During legion leveling i didn’t see too many people, blizzard explained that’ll happen when all current shards are full. Not saying this is 100% the reason, but when shards are overloaded sometimes people are moved around or just put in a new shard which would be empty.

What you specifically see when leveling is subjective. It doesn’t have any direct correlation to sub numbers or sales. If it did, then my experience when leveling and doing world quests shows that sales are through the roof.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Didn't they announce for Legion quite soon after launch?
    Not really that soon, was as well, the quarterly report after.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Are there any numbers out yet on how many have bought the expansion?
    fixed your flaw, yw.

on topic: until blizzard releases the numbers I have send my glass ball into a well deserved holiday.

- - - Updated - - -

Based on the tiny amount of people I see online I'd say the reception is not as good as it used to. But maybe that's due to me using Warmode. I've been used to a lot more players around on day 1 or 2 past launch.
    you must have bad friends then. my lists are full of activity.

My server was "Medium".
    It still says "Medium" at the busiest hour.

Enough said.

It is really surprise to me that a public traded company is able/allowed to hide so much information in their yearly financial report.

I honestly think its a lot because all of the free promoting on twitch with it being first and other streamers who don't usually play wow giving the xpac a try.
    Be Free! <3

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    you must have bad friends then. my lists are full of activity.
    What has lukewarm interest to do with "bad friends"?
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Deleted
    What has lukewarm interest to do with "bad friends"?
    well your friends are as bad as your facts aka they dont exist.

pretty much, WoD hemorrhaged subs starting in beta causing blizzard to abandon it's development and start legion.
    they also stopped reporting subscription and sales numbers quarterly.

- - - Updated - - -
    That's not what happened, at all.

Do you just make things up as you type? You got everything wrong.

WoD had a strong as hell launch, they had a windfall of returning players, that they lost in the time between launch and the first patch, once people saw how threadbare the game was going to be. They had 10 million players at the launch of WoD, which dropped by half 6 months later.

They announced they were not going to release player numbers a full year after WoD launched, when the entire expansion had been released, and all patches, and Legion had been announced.

They also didn't "abandon" development, they made the game they set out to make, the issue is, it's not the game the fans wanted or expected.

You wanna try again, and this time, use facts?

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't they announce for Legion quite soon after launch?

Legion was announced 9 months after WoD's launch.
    Last edited by Gadzooks; 2018-08-15 at 07:29 PM.

Dunno but I imagine if it sells slightly less than Mists which was 2.7 mil or the usual 3.3 mil someone is gonna find a way to spin it in a negative way for Blizzard anyway.

End of the day it doesn't matter. However if I had to guess I'll go with between 2 and 3.

your friends list is more of an anecdote then in game observations, and they're both anecdotal and irrelevant.
    when, and if, blizzard releases the sales numbers we'll have an actual idea of BfA's financial success, not before.
    I like how you just repeat the guys point but make it sound like your correcting him lol.

You won;t see any articles about sales this expansion... because they are dismal. The game is more dead after the launch than Legion was during the content drought.

Why? There is nothing in the expansion worth playing for... Seriously.

It's Legion 2.0 with artifact power renamed to azerite... path of titans design in the artifact weapon switched to a fw pieces of gear. SAME exact crap... just reskinned.

Just like the "new races" are just reskinned models... it FEELS like you are still playing the Legion drought because it is the same useless, unrewarding crap. Yes, some people dig doing anything for nothing. But not the millions that once loved WoW.

Ion has ran this game into the ground. Absolute, total garbage. Cannot wait for Classic to launch and completely blow modern WoW off the dev schedule.

Blizzards phasing technology is also very heavy. Before they didn't have phasing and it would be nearly impossible to complete a quest. Phasing is also so heavy that it glitches quest completion. Just as I was about to kill a "quest boss" we phased and didn't get credit. Happened in about 5 quests I did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    My server was "Medium".
    It still says "Medium" at the busiest hour.

Enough said.
    You do realize that they increased server capacity a little while back right? So unless you are on super populated servers like Illidan or Stormrage it will he medium.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2018-08-15 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Blizzards phasing technology is also very heavy. Before they didn't have phasing and it would be nearly impossible to complete a quest. Phasing is also so heavy that it glitches quest completion. Just as I was about to kill a "quest boss" we phased and didn't get credit. Happened in about 5 quests I did.

You do realize that they increased server capacity a little while back right? So unless you are on super populated servers like Illidan or Stormrage it will he medium.
    Phasing wasn't really designed to prevent overcrowding on burgeoning server pops.. it was made to dynamically merge a bunch of servers together because the pops are very low. With the exception of a very few "popular" servers that people have paid thousands to transfer to... most servers even with the paring or whatever they call it where 2 or more servers become basically one... you NEVER see someone from your server group... it's always from other servers phased in via sharding.

Instead of sharding.. they should have called it slivering... where they take the shattered slivers of servers and try and make one complete one.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    You won;t see any articles about sales this expansion... because they are dismal. The game is more dead after the launch than Legion was during the content drought.

Why? There is nothing in the expansion worth playing for... Seriously.

It's Legion 2.0 with artifact power renamed to azerite... path of titans design in the artifact weapon switched to a fw pieces of gear. SAME exact crap... just reskinned.

Just like the "new races" are just reskinned models... it FEELS like you are still playing the Legion drought because it is the same useless, unrewarding crap. Yes, some people dig doing anything for nothing. But not the millions that once loved WoW.

Ion has ran this game into the ground. Absolute, total garbage. Cannot wait for Classic to launch and completely blow modern WoW off the dev schedule.
    Here we go again same old nonsense like start of every expansion without any solid fact.
    Their are always people like you who shitted on previous expansion , still wow exist and still in good position in compare to other MMO games.
    Before you start your no sense(nothing much expected from a person who think m+ is like carrying more and more stone on one's head ) , i haven't bought BFA.

Quote Originally Posted by pyro989898 View Post
    Here we go again same old nonsense like start of every expansion without any solid fact.
    Their are always people like you who shitted on previous expansion , still wow exist and still in good position in compare to other MMO games.
    Before you start your no sense(nothing much expected from a person who think m+ is like carrying more and more stone on one's head ) , i haven't bought BFA.
    I don't compare WoW to other MMOs.. I compare it to itself... it is in DEFINITE decline. If you enjoy it, by all means please do. But noone can claim that WoW is not declining.. and that evidence of BfA being significantly less populated isn't apparent.

It's deader than a doornail.

Do they even release them anymore? Can't remember WoD or Legion numbers, just sentences like "Legion did X times better than WoD when it comes to Y".
    WoD was the last one they did. Then they went private with earning calls and starting spouting this garbage "time played" statistic instead of players playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.