Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is the complexity and length of the Interview process too complex?

I wanted to get some opinions of how todays job interview process goes for jobs.

1. Recruiter contacts via email.2. Recruiter wants phone call. 3. Recruiter sends your resume. 4. Phone Screen with Hiring Manager. 5. 1st Round Interview. 6. 2nd Round Interview. 7. Make offer. 8. Start job.

And this whole process can take anywhere from 1-2 weeks depending on the job industry or career field.

Does there really need to be such a long long drawn out process for interviews? What is the point of having a Phone screen before having a in person interview? I mean if you are interested in the candidate, why not just bring him/her in and then discuss the position and how the candidate can fit or if they cannot.

What happened to the days where a Hiring Manager calls, asks you to come in for interview. You sit with the Hiring manager and the Department head of the job. Interview over and they decide if you have the job. I am a simple person who likes the path to be short and to the point. Steps 1-4 are an unnecessary part of this drawn out process. Well ok, maybe not the recruiter, but they should only need to email you are see if you are in the market and send resume if you are interested. Boom step 2 is gone. Hiring Manager looks at the resume then calls for an in person interview, boom step 4 is gone. hiring Manager and one or 2 others sit in the room with you or one by one and discuss. They decide if they want you or not. Boom step 6 is gone. They offer you the job and both 7 and 8 are 1.

Does the interview process really need to be so LONG and drawn out? I am asking from a perspective point of view because I am in a Management class and it will help me understand the process and from the perspective of an interviewee

If you go through a recruiter you're probably fucking yourself over for zero reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    If you go through a recruiter you're probably fucking yourself over for zero reasons.
    The industry you are in, wanting to move or not the type of money you are looking for all get sorted ahead of time. For people changing employers for the first time are greatly aided by having one also. In many cases they have never been through a in depth hiring process and if they did it was only once and several years ago. Setting yourself up for success is always smart.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    The industry you are in, wanting to move or not the type of money you are looking for all get sorted ahead of time. For people changing employers for the first time are greatly aided by having one also. In many cases they have never been through a in depth hiring process and if they did it was only once and several years ago. Setting yourself up for success is always smart.
    It's still just a waste of money for people not willing to do the legwork themselves.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

I would think if people were more reliable and it wasn't such a chore to replace people, companies would relax their hiring process.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    It's still just a waste of money for people not willing to do the legwork themselves.
    For some maybe, for most no. It cost little and when they help get you the perfect fit and tens of thousands of extra dollars a year it is worth it. The average person doesn't have the tools or knowledge to make a lot of meetings happen in some cases they also don't have the time. For younger people or anybody that has been at the same job for a long time it is a no brainer. I know if I was looking for a great job I'd happily spend some money to make sure I not only get the job, but do so at the highest dollar amount I can.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I would think if people were more reliable and it wasn't such a chore to replace people, companies would relax their hiring process.
    You have plenty of industries where the only way to get a decent raise is to move to a new company, the medical industry is lousy with this practice. So you end up with employees constantly jumping hospital to hospital to seek out raises instead of being stuck at a much slower % growth with their current company. It is insane seeing how much it costs to train people and the work that goes into staffing. Sadly instead of rewarding long term employees they give out insane hiring bonuses and much bigger pay jumps for new staff.

10+ Year Old Account
    For some maybe, for most no. It cost little and when they help get you the perfect fit and tens of thousands of extra dollars a year it is worth it. The average person doesn't have the tools or knowledge to make a lot of meetings happen in some cases they also don't have the time. For younger people or anybody that has been at the same job for a long time it is a no brainer. I know if I was looking for a great job I'd happily spend some money to make sure I not only get the job, but do so at the highest dollar amount I can.

- - - Updated - - -

You have plenty of industries where the only way to get a decent raise is to move to a new company, the medical industry is lousy with this practice. So you end up with employees constantly jumping hospital to hospital to seek out raises instead of being stuck at a much slower % growth with their current company. It is insane seeing how much it costs to train people and the work that goes into staffing. Sadly instead of rewarding long term employees they give out insane hiring bonuses and much bigger pay jumps for new staff.
    I feel like we must be talking about unskilled laborers here, because it's absolutely not necessary whatsoever to have someone job hunt for you if you have either a developed and sought-after skillset or post-sec education for the sector in which you are job hunting.

It's too long and they still pick a lot of turds.

I'm not sure there is a better way.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    In an age where a single employees past social media history can destroy your company, no, I don't think it's too lengthy.

Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    I wanted to get some opinions of how todays job interview process goes for jobs.

1. Recruiter contacts via email.2. Recruiter wants phone call. 3. Recruiter sends your resume. 4. Phone Screen with Hiring Manager. 5. 1st Round Interview. 6. 2nd Round Interview. 7. Make offer. 8. Start job.

And this whole process can take anywhere from 1-2 weeks depending on the job industry or career field.

Does there really need to be such a long long drawn out process for interviews? What is the point of having a Phone screen before having a in person interview? I mean if you are interested in the candidate, why not just bring him/her in and then discuss the position and how the candidate can fit or if they cannot.

What happened to the days where a Hiring Manager calls, asks you to come in for interview. You sit with the Hiring manager and the Department head of the job. Interview over and they decide if you have the job. I am a simple person who likes the path to be short and to the point. Steps 1-4 are an unnecessary part of this drawn out process. Well ok, maybe not the recruiter, but they should only need to email you are see if you are in the market and send resume if you are interested. Boom step 2 is gone. Hiring Manager looks at the resume then calls for an in person interview, boom step 4 is gone. hiring Manager and one or 2 others sit in the room with you or one by one and discuss. They decide if they want you or not. Boom step 6 is gone. They offer you the job and both 7 and 8 are 1.

Does the interview process really need to be so LONG and drawn out? I am asking from a perspective point of view because I am in a Management class and it will help me understand the process and from the perspective of an interviewee
    I would say 1-2 weeks is not an overly long wait. You don't know how many other candidates they are considering for the job. Every step in that process eliminates potential candidates. The first round interview is to weed out the weakest candidates of those that passed through the early stages. The second round is to sort out which of the remainders are the best qualified.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    The good thing about being a welder is my interview process is literally "weld this while I watch" and "can you pass a drug test?"

10+ Year Old Account
    They use this system to filter out a huge ammount of usless people.

1) Person sends you a offer
    2) You send that person over 1.st filter -- checking his/her email (or other type of comunication)
    3) You generaly dont respond to the email and you wait if that person will call (no call = no replay)
    4) This person gets a first round at a specific date
    5) A lot of people show up on that day and you give them to fill out a company test
    6) You dont replay to rejects or people to expensive
    7) Meeting is setup with that person
    8) If this person is ok -- you setup another meeting
    9) Background check to be 100%
    10) If person doesnt have a good background, reject it -- final offer sent to best final 2-3
    11) Talk to each person
    12) DO NOT HIRE ANYONE YET--- wait for the call. Only the most dedicated person will call.
    13) Send this person a trial/job
    14) If this person shows up, he/she gets a job

Its way more complicated that people think. 1st step is usualy auto-mated by a email filter.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Jesus I wish it took 1-2 weeks.

I'm starting at a new place next Monday, the recruitment process took 2 months and it took them 2 and a half weeks to have an external company vet me on top of that.

I'd have given my left nut for 1-2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    I feel like we must be talking about unskilled laborers here, because it's absolutely not necessary whatsoever to have someone job hunt for you if you have either a developed and sought-after skillset or post-sec education for the sector in which you are job hunting.
    No for unskilled jobs you pick up a paper or go to some shitty website and you are good to go. You don't exactly have to ace the interview to do that, you also don't go through any sort of process like the OP mentioned.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post

Corporate world sounds like hell. I work in construction, we generally have an interview and then make an offer of pay and benefits and hire. Whole process takes a week at the most; usually same day if not on the spot. They are on probation for 90 days and then benefits kick in. Then again I work in a state where I can fire anyone for any reason and we don't do severance packages and such; just come in one day and you're fired. If I have given you 3 warnings I refute your unemployment with L&I and 99% of the time win.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    1-2 weeks isn’t bad at all for the corporate world. Most contract jobs take about a month if I get the job. I moonlight as a butcher and I generally get hired on the spot as long as the place I’m applying has an opening but that’s a different industry.

10+ Year Old Account
    No for unskilled jobs you pick up a paper or go to some shitty website and you are good to go. You don't exactly have to ace the interview to do that, you also don't go through any sort of process like the OP mentioned.
    If you have the experience or education for the jobs you're looking for there is literally no need to waste money on a recruiter. As I said before, they exist solely for people unwilling to do the legwork themselves.

Finding a job when you're qualified is not hard.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, most interviews are so easy that you can bullshit your way through them. You can tell when a company cares about hiring the best people when their interview process is more than one 20 minute meeting where they ask you a bunch of questions. Most interviews are much like a first date, both sides ask a lot of questions and try to make themselves seem like they are very important and worth pursuing, but at the end there is no call back a couple of days later. Seriously, when you go through 2-3 interviews for one job, meeting with different levels of management and leadership within a company, that is when you know they are serious about only hiring the best candidates and don't want shitty people with no skills.

Some very valid points in this thread @jackofwind, I have never once paid for a recruiter, but have about 4-5 of them call me a week. The jobs they offer are of the 13-15 per hour variety and since I am not an Entry level most hiring managers have thought I would flake at the very first opportunity I got for a higher job just like @Alvito pointed out about hospitals. and to be honest I just might if the industry was what I wanted, the experience level more on par with where I am at and the pay was at the right range for said position.

I mean, I get why the process is soooo long and know that if I can get to that 3rd interview I am solid. I have interviewed many candidates myself and have passed on several because they didnt seem like a fit. So I understand the process. But I really think that perhaps an overhaul of Corporate may just be in order.

I am sure it is just me and my direct straight to the meat and potatoes hire me frame of mind. As stated earlier very valid points

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vamperica View Post
    My biggest issue is getting feedback on what is going on.
    This has always been one of my biggest annoyances in the job hunt. You get passed up for a job but that is it..... The interviewer gives no feedback about why you were not a fit, or what you did wrong during the interview and you are just stuck there playing a guessing game of "what if I did this differently" What if I said this instead of that" what if the questions asked were not pointed enough to the conversation" What if the questions were not right at all.

Yeah there are interview coaches, but they cost money, and if you dont have a job, you cant pay them to help you get better at the interview process. You have recruiters, but the REAL good ones cost money and the free ones are just looking to fill a slot to get their commission and dont care about what you do.

7+ Year Old Account
    Successful or not, I've never done two rounds of face to face interviews.

With regards to the question of whether or not the interview process is too complex.... I wouldn't want to hire anyone that thinks its too complex. No, I don't think its too complex.