Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'm usually dps (warrior) but I tank in dungeons quite often just due to lack of tanks and lately my healers have been saying I've been taking like no damage. Obviously it's reg mythics and I don't really bring utility but I think they could be fine.

Ive been going over wanting at least one tank for BFA but was having issues deciding what it should be. I narrowed it from the beginning to either a DK, a Monk or a DH. I have a warr at 120 thats arms but i found prot really weird after the changes and not as it was in legion. leaning very heavily to the dk but was also looking at the monk as theyre good dps and a decent healer as well.

My protection warrior is sitting around ~337/338 ilvl and with a competent healer I can chain pull 1-2 groups through an entire dungeon without issue. give me a disc priest or a healer that can conserve mana decently and we wont stop. Having IP on the global feels bad, but I in no way feel like I'm taking an absurd amount of damage. Its also nice to be able to blow a single defensive, hit Avatar, pull two packs and spam Thunderclap every other cooldown. Can easily finish the pull with 15k-20k dps and leave everyone else in the dust.

I feel like most of the people complaining about Prot warrior don't fully utilize their kit, but that might just be me.
    Last edited by Chocky; 2018-08-27 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sumbum View Post
    What's shaping up to be the best and worst tanks and why?
    Best tank is me worst tank is not me because I said so.

Deleted
    for those struggling with druid threat, i highly suggest you try some pieces with "tidal surge" or the other leeching thing, and spec into brambles...

Those spells are procced by brambles and proc allot...pretty much removed any aggro issues i was having.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Blood DKs, Prot Pallies, and Prot Warriors.

Not because of anything they can do tank wise, it's just they can share gear with my holy pally if they don't need it.
    My mostly leather group spits in the general direction of your plate group! Leather tanks welcome here! But serious, player >>>> class right now.

Quote Originally Posted by atredies View Post
    mfw i struggled to keep a prot warrior alive through a mythic without seeing ignore pain,at all, once.
    I've seen bears/warriors with full rage bars for most of some instances myself. Other classes I tend to have to see their buffs, but the occasional glance sees a lack of active mitigation use in general. If anything, people's experiences would likely rank tanks based upon how well they do when they don't use their active mitigation and/or tools.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2018-08-28 at 12:30 PM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

As a healer I can say that the worst tank for me is a random dk.

But this was always the situation in the beginning of expansions since dk was introduced.

Spiky damage taken, while some dks can recover, others would or wouldn't, and i have to watch their resources to see if they potentially can.

Quote Originally Posted by funf View Post
    Same on my DH. I feel less squishy now with some mythic gear than before.
    I don't know how the other tanks are, but every trash feel like a raid boss and the actual boss feels like trash (with some exception)...
    Same for my g druid

10+ Year Old Account
    Leveld my good old warrior first and really regret not going BDK first. I'm behind the curve to catch up on him, and I know as soon as I do they'll fix prot warrior to be amazeballs somehow after I've committed to BDK.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Paladin

Look. We already gave you guys Ashbringer. Isn’t that enough?

Blademaster
    5+ Year Old Account
    My monk has been 338 since week one and I feel like a god. But always been biased with them and is my main.
    My DH is 330 and I feel amazing as well, even with self healing nerfed for all tanks, I still feel great and the damage on my DH is crazy. Just my 2c.

Blood Dk and Pally are both above Bear and Warrior atm in raid and Dungeons imo. Pally is good cause you can lol avoid mechanics. Far as ratings go I would set them here.
    Raid: monk > dk> pally > dh> warrior > druid
    Dungeons: dk > dh > monk > pally > warrior > druid
    US - HORDE - Illidan
    Currently playing Brewmaster and Vengeance.
    Looking for more M+ groups to push keys and BG.

10+ Year Old Account
    The best tank I've healed in a mythic dungeon by far was a brewmaster who was very good at and very fond of kiting, it's made me quite aware since that virtually every other tank remains completely static after a pull and never tries to kite. Is it a case that brewmaster has a much better toolkit to be mobile or many tanks lack appreciation for how much easier it can make survival?

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Is it a case that brewmaster has a much better toolkit to be mobile or many tanks lack appreciation for how much easier it can make survival?
    Paladins and monks are both good at kiting because they have frequently available speed boosts and can slow everything following them by 50% on their own if they spec for it. They're also decent at keeping threat from range. Though any tank can do it if someone else provides them with the snare, such as one of the current-omnipresent frost mages.

It's just that most tanks, as most players in general, play the game as if they're stuck in a dream or something. They don't really think about new or interesting ways to use their classes or deviate from the absolute basics, thus the act of simply stepping outside a mob's attack range is beyond their abilities.

Healers are another good example of a class of players who usually make no effort to explore their spec's abilities. Most healer specs can do very good damage right now and some are borderline able to compete with the dps at current gear levels - while healing, half the time. But most healers are content to simply stand at range and spam their heals on the tank to keep him at 100% health all the time, effectively doing nothing other than negate the tank's self-sustain and generally just being worthless.

But they signed up to heal, not dps, so they're not gonna dps.

And tanks signed up to tank, not kite, so they're not gonna kite.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

If I was to rate them based on m0 as a healer

1. good BrMs are first by a large margin
    2. Blood DK, DH, Paladins
    3. Bears
    4. Prot Warriors (only class that has given me hard time almost consistently this far, probably bad players combined with bad prot state atm)

Quote Originally Posted by pooli0 View Post
    for those struggling with druid threat, i highly suggest you try some pieces with "tidal surge" or the other leeching thing, and spec into brambles...

Those spells are procced by brambles and proc allot...pretty much removed any aggro issues i was having.
    I'll try this today, thx for the hint.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rammus View Post
    If I was to rate them based on m0 as a healer

1. good BrMs are first by a large margin
    In your opinion what is the difference from a good BrM and a bad one (excluding general tank expectations)?

Is it more using the their abilities to kite more efficient? Just over better uptime with their brews?

I feel indestructible as a Blood DK. I'm pretty much a non-issue for our healer unless we have a messy trash pull. But outside of that, I feel extremely durable when I nail my rotations/reactions properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Anything a BDK or Brewmaster can do in M+ a VDH can do better.
    Can't tell if trolling or ignorant.

Maybe Blizz blessed your VDH with better mitigation than a BrM or the grips/brez/def CDs of a BDK, but most VDHs don't have those things.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Except for the part where VDH now scales as good with haste as Blood and has a better kit for M+ now. Blood at best is doomed to be 2nd best in M+ unless changes happen. Blood could easily scale up to 2nd best raid tank as well but with stagger scaling with agility... they are once again doomed to be 2nd at best there as well as Brewmasters scale so ridiculous for being damage sponges with smooth in take.

Blood should be in a good spot but Gaurdian legion status? GTFO, no tank will reach the 2nd tier of legion OP level of Guardian this xpac. The only reason it happened in the first place was because the spot light was off them since Ignore Pain was so ridiculously broken the first few weeks they dodged the early nerf bat.
    Nighthold bears were just ridiculous,60% of tanks in this raid were bears,that's imbalance of the likes we haven't seen since mid-Vanilla

It was to the point where bears didn't just feel OP,other tank classes felt bad for playing the "wrong" class in raids
    Last edited by ONCHEhap; 2018-08-29 at 08:04 PM. Reason: typo :)

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Maybe Blizz blessed your VDH with better mitigation than a BrM or the grips/brez/def CDs of a BDK, but most VDHs don't have those things.
    BrMs have good mitigation?
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Can't tell if trolling or ignorant.

You don't understand the word mitigation if you think that is a strong point of Brewmaster. Their mitigation is the worst of any tanks, and shows why that term is so worthless to begin with and thrown around by people who don't understand what it means.

I'm sorry you're still running last resort in 2018 and think VDH has no CDs tho...