Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    As a parent, I am generally okay with this as long as it fits with the existing feel of the restaurant.

Parents need quiet restaurants for quiet, kid-free date nights too.
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    As someone with kids, I have zero problem with this. If they don't want kids, good for them.
    100% agree. As the father of an 18 month old I can completely understand wanting to avoid kids in a nice restaurant. I have a super chill kid but on a bad day he's terrible to have in a restaurant and there are a LOT of kids worse than mine. If a place wants to restrict having kids, more power to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    Yes. But once the bar is set it can become a problem. As evidence of the former children in this thread bitching about children.
    That is not a good reply. Again, this is a single restaurant. 99.99% of eateries are still available.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    The more restrained kids will just sit through the evening quietly while getting bored. The ill-mannered kids will get bored and start stirring shit up. None of the options are really good for the kids, so just leave them at home or stay at home with them if you have absolutely noone to babysit them for a few hours.
    so much this!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    This does seem like a few bad apples ruining it for everyone. My daughter has been perfect in restaurants for nearly her whole life. She is now 12 and as tall her mom. She doesn’t cause an issue and now would be banned from this place and should be ,according to the people in this thread , other places too.

Imagine it would be illegal to outright ban people under a certain age. As the article stated, kick out parents of unruly children. Not ban children altogether.

and also this!

both of you are spot on. I also have a daughter and she's quiet and calm. I try to avoid taking her to boring place when I can, for her own well being. just like you said: a few bad apples (talking about parents) ruining it for everyone. kick out parents of unruly children. Not ban children altogether.
    Last edited by mmoc051d140155; 2018-08-21 at 01:19 PM.

And this is one more reason Europeans are disappearing from the face of the planet. The rejection of children that is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Children don't bother me so much, I like the crowded noisy restaurants. It's the quiet restaurants that make me anxious, I don't understand why but the silence and the clanging of glasses with little mummers... even thinking about it makes me twitch :P

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have kids and don’t have a problem with this.

I expect my kids to act pretty much perfectly when we sit down to eat somewhere and they do. Parents who refuse to control their children ruin everything from restaurants to movie theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Why must you inflict yourself on others?
    As a rule, I don't if it can at all be avoided.
    "Independence forever!" --- President John Adams
    "America is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own." --- President John Quincy Adams
    "Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Depends on the place... If it's rather quiet and expensive I#d hate to have the experience ruined by not behaving children. But if it's just an averge restaurant with "normal" noise I wouldn't mind. But their business, their choice...

In the US we pay off the wait staff with a bigger tip.

Everyone's been really sweet to us so far but our daughter is an infant. We go to what are called "family" restaurants and this nearby truck stop that serves really good food.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I don't care. There are plenty of places you can't take kids as it is.

Again, you don't think other restaurants will adopt this policy?
    Some, but not many. Most restaurants are chains and are family oriented.

But even if you could argue more will.... its not an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    fuck I wish we had that policy at my restaurant. except it would also apply to vegans and idiots who think they're allergic to gluten. I get that it's real but it's too rare to hear almost every other person ask me if we have GF options.
    It's not that rare. 3% celiac and 10% NCGS. That's a substantial portion of the population.

Besides, wheat proteins activate zonulin signaling and increase intestinal permeability even in non-sensitive people, which leads to the absorption of large protein fragments and a subsequent immune response that can promote systemic, chronic inflammation. If non-sensitive people want to cut it out because it makes them feel a little bit better, then power to them.

Veganism, on the other hand, is indefensible from a health and moral perspective. If they just want to eat leaves, though, whatever.

I think you should be less judgemental of other people's food choices and do your job. You don't know who they are or what they're dealing with.

I'm glad you feel that way.

I guess a handful of bakers refusing service to gays isn't an issue either.
    Fundamentally different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like so many other blanket rules this is just a weakass attempt to avoid actually dealing with the issue at hand. If a customers kid is misbehaving ask them to leave...its really that simple. 'Zero tolerance' is just lazy.

Also..almost everything kids learn is through experience....you really dont want to see what it looks like when an 18 year old who never got to eat in a restaurant, does so for the first time. Lol you end up with adults acting like kids....sound familiar?
    Last edited by Wiyld; 2018-08-21 at 03:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    German restaurant imposes 'no children allowed' dinner policy
    https://www.dw.com/en/german-restaur...icy/a-45116704

I like this a lot. I've had far too many dinners out ruined by the annoying behavior of other guests, and this is but a good start on the problem. When I was a kid I wasn't regularly taken to any restaurants until I was at least 10 years old and if I did not behave there was hell to pay later for sure. I frankly don't recall misbehaving because I was delighted to be included in adult activities. At every age growing up I always had three piece suits of my own, so we always had nice clothes. In raising his children my brother made his kids understand that going out was an enormous privilege not to be abused by tomfoolery. Any misbehavior and that kid wasn't back to a restaurant in a long fucking time. He'd take the kid out to the car and sit there with them until the meal was finished and we'd go home in a terrible silence.

On my own I've also decided to no longer patronize any establishment that has a big screen TV in the dining room. The bar is an acceptable location for that nonsense, but anywhere else and I never return and I also don't want to hear it from the dining room. Everyone has a fucking phone so if they need the final score, some news, or whatever they can get it if they must - and, you know, value being out with their loved ones not at all.

Where I live I am down to the very occasional "Five Guys" trip mainly for the fries, and five star only establishments if they follow my rules. And most places aren't really even five star anyway.

Most nights we just eat food I make at the table with some pleasant music on in the background. It is more than divine.

"L'enfer, c'est les autres" - Jean-Paul Sartre
    Same. Good idea - and I've got three kids of my own.

They already have adult only resorts. I don't really see much of a difference?

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    People need to get used to stuff like this, After all, We now live in a world where children are " protected " from there own parents thus they cant be raised right. Nowadays every 3 years old know if you dont get your own way just call DCF and tell em daddy hits you. You cant expect good manners from a kid thats never had an ass wiping and if you claim to be your a lair.
    Ahhh, I remember as a child in the 80's I gave this one a whirl. Father got real quiet real quick. Calmly (scary calmly) walked over to the phone, placed the handset in front of me, and gave me the number. He then, very slowly and clearly spoke: "Go ahead. Call. But remember, we're not liars in this family. So I will have to make sure that whatever you tell them is actually true before they get here."

I decided to go ahead and mow the lawn instead.

He never whooped my ass wholesale though; that was one game of chicken I never had the balls to call him out on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only notable thing about this story is that it is a story.

It really shouldn't be an issue that different businesses cater to different market niches. The problem seems to be that some people are misconstruing this as a form of unfair discrimination, which is ridiculous.

Market forces will determine whether it's the correct/appropriate niche for the given context.

PS: I am a parent. And we do try to instill in our kids good manners and behaviour. But the fact is that kids will be kids. They can't always be controlled. Teaching them is a process and part of that process involves them doing the wrong thing from time to time. It's a learning experience. If you have kids then obviously you should choose to dine at family restaurants that cater to kids. Family restaurants that want business from families with kids need to accept that kids are going to be kids. And people without kids need to accept that kids will be at family restaurants, and if they want to eat there they need to be tolerant of those kids.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2018-08-21 at 04:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    Ahhh, I remember as a child in the 80's I gave this one a whirl. Father got real quiet real quick. Calmly (scary calmly) walked over to the phone, placed the handset in front of me, and gave me the number. He then, very slowly and clearly spoke: "Go ahead. Call. But remember, we're not liars in this family. So I will have to make sure that whatever you tell them is actually true before they get here."

I decided to go ahead and mow the lawn instead.

He never whooped my ass wholesale though; that was one game of chicken I never had the balls to call him out on.
    your dad did it the right way.
    #boycottchina