Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

Resto druid 5 man healing.

So I cant help but feel that atm all im doing is spamming regrowth. Which isnt really all that much fun. My hots arent enough and with swiftmend having a 25 second cd it feels really boring just spamming regrowth over and over again hoping you dont oom yourself.
    So is this the norm or am I doing something wrong?

Im running cenarion ward, Incarnation, Inner peace and germination and on 319 IL. I have done a few mythics now and it feels like all I do is spam regrowth all the time. Now I remember resto druids being more then just regrowth I obviously keep rejuv up too but thats never enough. The 3rd boss in underrot was hell too cause you cant even dispel diseases as a resto druid.
    So advice would be really nice, I used to play resto in Pandaria and it seems to have changed massively since then, most guides I've read so far are rather vague. I understand this is the start of an expansion so I didnt exactly expect full perfect step by step guides but the amount of info atm is really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tovart View Post
    So I cant help but feel that atm all im doing is spamming regrowth. Which isnt really all that much fun. My hots arent enough and with swiftmend having a 25 second cd it feels really boring just spamming regrowth over and over again hoping you dont oom yourself.

Im running cenarion ward, Incarnation, Inner peace and germination and on 319 IL. I have done a few mythics now and it feels like all I do is spam regrowth all the time. Now I remember resto druids being more then just regrowth I obviously keep rejuv up too but thats never enough. The 3rd boss in underrot was hell too cause you cant even dispel diseases as a resto druid.
    So advice would be really nice, I used to play resto in Pandaria and it seems to have changed massively since then, most guides I've read so far are rather vague. I understand this is the start of an expansion so I didnt exactly expect full perfect step by step guides but the amount of info atm is really bad.
    so you spam regrowth but don't take abundance ? especially if you take germination
    i also found that spring blossom is great , add a constant hot wich boost mastery is great

our hot is here to smooth out the damage ,especially early in the expac even if i foud that a small buff to rejuv wouldn't hurt

use abundance; it makes regrowth really efficient at 5+ rejuvs, which you'll have out pretty often if the group is taking damage

inner peace is pointless; you can use spring blossoms but I prefer stonebark

you do wind up casting regrowth a lot more than you did before, but tbh that's a good thing? Doing nothing but spam rejuv for most of a dungeon got pretty dull

it's a bit difficult atm because we don't have the ability to stack a ton of mastery yet, but you definitely shouldn't be struggling too much at 319ilvl. Powerdrink between pulls if you find yourself low on mana

This is normal at the start of an expansion when everyone is getting used to new dungeons and mechanics. Some good tips re. talents above

Quote Originally Posted by Maxmuscle View Post
    tanks arent taking constant, massive damage. the big damage on tanks is spikey and intermitent which makes stonebark a bad choice, its not like you can get two stonebarks in one trash pull and there are no one-shot mechanics on bosses.

spring blossoms requires you to get 4 people to stand in your efflo for 90% of its duration to be worth taking, and while some dungeons that may be possible, most it isnt. thats assuming you are playing with a pro group that will stand in your efflo but i suspect most of us are pugging so g'luck with that lol.
    Ironbark is taken for single target throughput more than the cooldown reduction(which is also awesome).
    Spring blossoms requires exactly 1 target standing in it for 1 tick for it to be worth taking and it's more useful than 1 minute off a tranq cooldown(that's always available when needed) will have been for me this expansion so far.
    Spring blossoms under tank for a long duration hot for mastery and anyone else standing in it is just gravy.

I was able to heal the 9 mythics I had available, starting at about 308 ilvl as druid, and yea I noticed how I was using every gcd for regrowth during heavy damage. That's when I switched back to soul of the forest over incarnation, and it made a huge difference. That with 2 charges of swiftmend meant I could actually spot heal someone up, and wild growth actually did work.

Ya ya icy veins likes to say sotf isn't competitive, but currently it feels a lot better with these lower ilvls. Also yea spring blossoms imo, adds another hot for our mastery.

inner peace is not pointless. i can think of maybe half a dozen bosses that require you to have both tree AND tranq up, but there are literally thousands of trash packs that tranq can trivialize, and in some cases its the only thing keeping a party alive (looking at you Atal'dazar Honorguards). personally i love knowing that if damage gets out of control i can pop my tranq to save the day all the while knowing that im not gimped for the next 3 minutes. 30% more tranqs? yes please.

tanks arent taking constant, massive damage. the big damage on tanks is spikey and intermitent which makes stonebark a bad choice, its not like you can get two stonebarks in one trash pull and there are no one-shot mechanics on bosses.

spring blossoms requires you to get 4 people to stand in your efflo for 90% of its duration to be worth taking, and while some dungeons that may be possible, most it isnt. thats assuming you are playing with a pro group that will stand in your efflo but i suspect most of us are pugging so g'luck with that lol.

remember your mastery increases your healing for each additional hot so the party should always have a rejuv rolling even if there is no damage. there is no danger of running out of mana during a trash pack so go crazy. if you already have a rejuv on every party member before damage starts rolling in, you can easily wild growth to give an instant party wide healing increase from the hot mastery alone, not counting the WG healing itself. then blanket the party with a second rejuv. with swiftmend hot trait, lifebloom, regrowth hot and efflorescence youve got 4 to 5 hots that you can roll on the party and for my mastery level that is up to nearly 50% bonus healing.

you dont need or want to spam regrowth on a damaged player to get them to full health unless they are in danger of dying. let your hots do their job. if you have double rejuvs on all the party you've got at least 50% crit bonus on regrowth casts and that is where resto starts to shine. dont be afraid to use lifebloom or ironbark on a dps if they are taking big damage, the tank doesnt always need it. and most of all, relish in the super awesomeness of five man tranquility!
    Agree with everything stated here. I main Boom but I also heal for majority of my groups 5 mans and the extra minute on tranq is very useful. Don't be afraid to use tranq in trash pulls with this talent as well. Don't forget that a lot of tranqs power is in the stacking dot now too so sometimes its best to pop it slightly earlier than you intend.

As your gear gets better you won't be using regrowth as much. I'm currently 335 ilvl and I only use the free growths 90% of the time with very small windows of regrowth spam and that is normally because I was bad and let me hots drop off the tank cause I'm too busy throwing in extra dps. I personally take cenarian ward for the extra big hot to drop on the tank plus mastery bonus but was speced into abundance before I got geared.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleu42 View Post
    I was able to heal the 9 mythics I had available, starting at about 308 ilvl as druid, and yea I noticed how I was using every gcd for regrowth during heavy damage. That's when I switched back to soul of the forest over incarnation, and it made a huge difference. That with 2 charges of swiftmend meant I could actually spot heal someone up, and wild growth actually did work.

Ya ya icy veins likes to say sotf isn't competitive, but currently it feels a lot better with these lower ilvls. Also yea spring blossoms imo, adds another hot for our mastery.
    thank god someone does it like me. Maybe all guides on the internet tell you the same like FAQ or QE what it is called today (Partner of Dreamgrove.gg), but they are all wrong. For the next days until the raid opens i will ez stay on my 2 swiftmends+sotf and also renewal (which FAQ says its a fucking joke). Renewal saves my lifes like 10 times now and is such a good spotheal on my self. And Prosperity is so strong for spothealing, which is the only thing that matters atm. Abundance forces you to frequently cast Reju on all partymembers even its not needed, which i dont like. We are relatively mana-dependend and thats why Abundance and also Germination is a "nogo" for me atm.

I recommend do try Photosynt, Springblossoms, SotF, Renewal and Prosperity.

That way you are always on full mana, besides you have to heal for like 15k over a longer period of time. You can burstheal the tank full in 2 gcds (swiftmend+Regrowth). You can easily reach 30%+ critchance with all this insane proc-passives which we got on all this gear. And a Swiftmend on a tank with 6 hots (yeah, i count the Swiftmend-hot from the azerite-traits here just for the sake of why not ) on him and with 13-20% mastery (depending on the running passives) which crits is just yammy.

Also SotF helps bursting out better aoe-heals with WG. With running Springblossoms, 5 Rejus, SotF-WG, some Regrowth-Hots here and there, Tranq and Val'anyr-Proc running (you should try it out, its fun! haha) you can reach very high hps numbers with very little mana consumption compared to the healoutput.

This will probably all change with raiding or maybe with special affixes. But for now i can heal with this build every shit which comes in our way (sure the content on m+0 is not very challenging besides Korgus...)

even the lady from method seams to have no clue what she is talking when she says Rdruid is not so viable in m+ atm because we are soooo mana-dependend... which makes no sense. In m+ you can drink inbetween fights?

Maybe all of this guides are beta-like information and they are all not up to date because all ppl are busy playing wow right now

But one thing for the OP:

Yeah, blizz wants us to spam Regrowth now much more then we are used to. But it costs way less mana as in legion. For now its all about spothealing.

Cheers.

White

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitestrife View Post
    thank god someone does it like me. Maybe all guides on the internet tell you the same like FAQ or QE what it is called today (Partner of Dreamgrove.gg), but they are all wrong. For the next days until the raid opens i will ez stay on my 2 swiftmends+sotf and also renewal (which FAQ says its a fucking joke). Renewal saves my lifes like 10 times now and is such a good spotheal on my self. And Prosperity is so strong for spothealing, which is the only thing that matters atm. Abundance forces you to frequently cast Reju on all partymembers even its not needed, which i dont like. We are relatively mana-dependend and thats why Abundance and also Germination is a "nogo" for me atm.

I recommend do try Photosynt, Springblossoms, SotF, Renewal and Prosperity.

That way you are always on full mana, besides you have to heal for like 15k over a longer period of time. You can burstheal the tank full in 2 gcds (swiftmend+Regrowth). You can easily reach 30%+ critchance with all this insane proc-passives which we got on all this gear. And a Swiftmend on a tank with 6 hots (yeah, i count the Swiftmend-hot from the azerite-traits here just for the sake of why not ) on him and with 13-20% mastery (depending on the running passives) which crits is just yammy.

Also SotF helps bursting out better aoe-heals with WG. With running Springblossoms, 5 Rejus, SotF-WG, some Regrowth-Hots here and there, Tranq and Val'anyr-Proc running (you should try it out, its fun! haha) you can reach very high hps numbers with very little mana consumption compared to the healoutput.

This will probably all change with raiding or maybe with special affixes. But for now i can heal with this build every shit which comes in our way (sure the content on m+0 is not very challenging besides Korgus...)

even the lady from method seams to have no clue what she is talking when she says Rdruid is not so viable in m+ atm because we are soooo mana-dependend... which makes no sense. In m+ you can drink inbetween fights?

Maybe all of this guides are beta-like information and they are all not up to date because all ppl are busy playing wow right now

But one thing for the OP:

Yeah, blizz wants us to spam Regrowth now much more then we are used to. But it costs way less mana as in legion. For now its all about spothealing.

Cheers.

White
    Exactly what I was planning to do all the time. But at the end I ended with the icy veins recommedations.
    But I need to try photosyn and sotf and Abudance. Mainly I am still thinking how the photosyn can be use in Raid environement. Maybe as Tank healer ? Or maybe as raid healer too to have faster ticking hots.
    Btw this +20% faster ticking hots means that our hots will still heal the same amount but faster or they will heal for more and faster ? Somehow I am not sure here, that is why I am not sure about this talent. How is this working.

Deleted
    a modifier that makes a hot/dot tick faster means the spell does its full healing in a shorter amount of time. if rejuv does 15,000 heal over 15 seconds, a 20% modifier now makes rejuv do 15,000 heal over 12 seconds. its a direct buff to said hot/dot when talking about numbers alone, which is fine for a dps.

for a healer that means you are refreshing hots to the same person three seconds earlier than you normally would have had to, which means every four people you cast rejuv on you lose the ability to cast on a fifth person. 15-12=3, 3*4=12 which is exactly one rejuv wasted due to globals. so, either keep your normal rejuv on five people or keep a slightly better rejuv on four people. personally im choosing five over four, and we havent even taken into consideration the mana costs of refreshing hots 3 seconds earlier. of course, this only applies in raids b/c mana is not an issue and spamming hots on five people is not an issue in dungeons.

in a dungeon photo is usable but its still a waste. simple napkin math can prove that 20% faster hots, with lifebloom over healing yourself the majority of the time, is not better than an extra rejuv on the target. not ever, no matter how someone tries to justify it. math > your opinion.

i do agree that properity and soul of the forest are a good combo right now IF you want to do that type of healing, which is perfectly fine right now if that is what you like. that combo wont fly in higher m+ keys so dont get used to it.

resto is designed to rely on its hots to heal people, not regrowth spam. if you are spamming regrowth to heal someone instead of hotting them you are doing it wrong and gimping yourself in the process. druids are not direct-damage healing like a pally or holy priest so dont play them like that.

Thx for the info.
    So in raids it looks like it is a no to take Photosynt.
    In mythic dungeons well it is more no than yes as I see it from your writing.

So look like I Will stay with germination , cultivation , abundance, stonebark.

ANyway about that regrowth spam. Wel it reminds me of my days in TBC/Wrath/Vanilla spamming flash heal like mad on my holy priest.
    I see a lot of bad pulls where tank pull 2 -3 groups and than it is just regrowth spammming like mad Or let them all die and wipe bcs even if I am trying so strong simply some mobds ( mainly in shrine of the storms ) are healing themselves and it is a 5 minute fight. And I can use T Q on cd, Ironbark on CD, swiftmend on CD, rejuv and germ and lifebloom on tank simply you can not keep the guys up and has to use regrowth spam like mad And yeah I hate this too. I hated this in Vanila/tbv/wrath on my priest and hate it now in BfA on my drood.

Prosperity is bad because despite common misconception it does not actually provide twice as many Swiftmends... That's not how charge system works, you only get 3 seconds less on cooldown.

SotF can be used without Prosperity. The logic behind Tree of Life is to have a big CD since you are running no Flourish and Tranq is not always possible to use (and also has a rather long cd). If you can get away with Inner Peace 2 min Tranqs and no ToL, then all power to you. I personally consider SotF to be extremely weak due to how rarely these bonuses are available. I'd rather have one strong CD for certain big pulls than mediocre healing on one cast once-twice per pack.
    Torty - Highmountain Druid - Turalyon EU

Icy-Veins Guide for Restoration Druids

Deleted
    Healing has always been spamming one or two buttons regardless of character or class. As for fun? That is subjective some people enjoy the anxiety caused by having to constantly spam the living daylights out of 1,2 or 3 spells to keep the group alive others cant cope until they out gear instances to the point of lobbing a heal now and again is enough and they can go back to looking round at whats going on.

Remember its a week into the expac once you get the gear you will be able to rejuv everyone and sit back picking your nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Tovart View Post

1. Most tanks tend to get wrecked because they haven't figured out how to play their class yet or they are undergeared.
    2. DPS get wrecked because they don't know the mechanics. Keep your damage meter set to Interrupts if you want to see how bad it is.

Forget your Raid spec. Focus on burst healing, something that Resto isn't really designed for. However you can make it work with the right spec and gear. I run 2 trinkets that refund mana, HUGE difference. Also focus on heavily on Haste. Prosperity, Inner Peace and Photosynthesis will all increase your burst healing. Cultivation and Soul of the Forest are both good choices.

Once you get enough burst to get over the rough spots Resto's high sustain makes them quite good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by teddabear View Post
    1. Most tanks tend to get wrecked because they haven't figured out how to play their class yet or they are undergeared.
    2. DPS get wrecked because they don't know the mechanics. Keep your damage meter set to Interrupts if you want to see how bad it is.

Forget your Raid spec. Focus on burst healing, something that Resto isn't really designed for. However you can make it work with the right spec and gear. I run 2 trinkets that refund mana, HUGE difference. Also focus on heavily on Haste. Prosperity, Inner Peace and Photosynthesis will all increase your burst healing. Cultivation and Soul of the Forest are both good choices.

Once you get enough burst to get over the rough spots Resto's high sustain makes them quite good.
    What 2 trinkets if I may ask? I bought Tides from AH and hoping to get Mythic drop from Lady Waycrest trinket which is not for manna but for free passive heals

Any trinket that has int and secondary stat proc is decent in dungeons.
    Torty - Highmountain Druid - Turalyon EU

Icy-Veins Guide for Restoration Druids

I have done all mythic dungeons as a resto druid. I found it easiest to take the 2x Swiftmend, Ironbark, and Soul of the Forest talents. The other ones can be great but I got gear with the Swiftmend trait and I currently drop a HoT that is 3x the size of my Rejuvenation when I Swiftmend a target. In essence, SotF gives me great AoE/Single target healing and with 2 stacks of Swiftmend that can easily be stored during easier trash pulls, I feel like it is a very strong and underestimated option. If the tank needs healing, I can drop a really strong Swiftmend HoT and empower a Rejuvenation/Regrowth that I can then use on the tank with the SotF talent. I have critted 70K with regrowth and left an additional huge HoT. If the group is spread, Swiftmend the guy with the lowest HP and throw that empowered Wild Growth. Not enough? Spread Rejuvs and Flourish that empowered Wild Growth. Not enough? Hit Tranq with my Berserking Racial. More Swiftmends should be off-CD so another empowered Wild Growth. Etc. Druid feels great now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torty View Post
    Prosperity is bad because despite common misconception it does not actually provide twice as many Swiftmends... That's not how charge system works, you only get 3 seconds less on cooldown.

SotF can be used without Prosperity. The logic behind Tree of Life is to have a big CD since you are running no Flourish and Tranq is not always possible to use (and also has a rather long cd). If you can get away with Inner Peace 2 min Tranqs and no ToL, then all power to you. I personally consider SotF to be extremely weak due to how rarely these bonuses are available. I'd rather have one strong CD for certain big pulls than mediocre healing on one cast once-twice per pack.
    Maybe this is a "my-opinion-thing" but for me Prosperity was never about the 3 seconds less on cd. It was about the possibility to cast all hots on the tank, swiftmend him, RG (SotF) him, swiftmend him again, RG him again. This can be applied to any player who needs immediat heal. Its such a strong emergency heal and to use him twice or to use him once, knowing that you can use it again if needed, thats what this talent is all about. In Legion with the bracers leggo Cultivation was king in m+. But now everything is new and if you want to safe mana then try not to spam Reju on all 5 ppl all the time and try Prosperity out. In my opinion Abundance is a really nice trap and most ppl get into it and draining all there mana and dont understand why. Compared with Germination you can waste so much Mana. Its just funny.

To the Photosynt-topic:

Photo is not about healing efficiently. Its just a spothealing talent mostly for the tank and will heal a lot if you go for a lot of mastery in mythic and later on in m+. For the ppl which think m+ in this expansion will not be about spothealing and for all of you who think Rdruid is all about healing over time and this will never change: You are wrong. With every expansion Blizzard changes this spec a lot and we are never safe that we will always stay the same in our gameplay like you think. And now, atleast for m+ we cannot rely anymore on Germination Rejus. Because they are to weak for m+. We will need to spotheal alot. You will learn your lesson. I promise you

Photo is a spothealing talent with very nice trick: You can choose to aoe-heal the grp if needed. If a very heavy dmg gets your entire grp in a low percentage you can switch to LB on yourself, Swiftmend the lowest target, followed by WG. With (hopefully you are prepared for this) Rejus ticking, Springblossoms ticking your WG will heal so much more !!quickly!! with Photo. After the situation is cleared you can go back to spotheal with LB. Its even useful for spothealing other targets. Its such a usefull talent and its a lot better for your Mana then Germination. Thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Moordots View Post
    running out of mana in a dungeon? how? probably because you are spamming a very inefficient spell like baseline regrowth.

my unlimited 60% buffed regrowths are going to out perform your two buffed regrowths AND my party is going to be safe and sound with two rejuvs on them AND ill still have swiftmend and wild growth off cooldown in case i need it AND i can weave some dps in there b/c the majority of my healing is done via hots. with prosperity you have.......none of that.......two strong heals and then youre flaccid. womp womp.

you may be doing fine right now with prosperity but that is because the trash doesnt really last too long. when trash starts lasting longer than what your swiftmends can handle AND your party members are getting curb stomped at the same time you will see why abundance is better. YOU will learn your lesson.

you also lose a stack of mastery: harmony on each person when you forego germination and that is just a flat out healing reduction.
    Are you really discussing mana efficiency when your build requires casting multiple rejuvenations just to empower your regrowth? And how can you weave that much damage when you need to cast 5 rejuvenations, lifeblooms, efflo, and keep refreshing them. No one is spamming baseline regrowth here, because we dont need to. Swiftmend provides a huge heal (40K that can crit) plus it leaves a HoT if you have the trait that heals 5K every 3s. That is the same tick value of cenarion ward. On top of that the next regrowth is empowered by 200% (3x) and leaves a HoT. I can cast that regrowth using clearcast procs most of the time.

If the group needs healing, I can instead cast a 2.5x empowered wild growth, which is a lot less GCDs than 5 rejuvenations. If this isnt enough I can spam rejuvenations just like you, and press the flourish button for about 18K HPS. I can hit 22K+ HPS if I tranq on top of this.

For the rare occasions where lifebloom + rejuv + efflo + regrowth HoT + swiftmend isn't enough to keep the tank up, I use my ironbark which is talented and then yes, I need to spam regrowth. Alternatively, I can also flourish and speed those 4 HoTs on the tank.

On a side note, I am ilvl 338 right now and I have done the 10 mythics both weeks.
    Last edited by Zeons; 2018-08-22 at 10:30 PM.

Rejuv is our most mana efficient spell we have. Putting 5 rejuvs on the party is like 10% of our mana? which you will gain back basically over the same time you placed them out. The most important difference between your twos argument is the difference between preemptive healing and reactive healing. Sure Prosperity and soul of the forest is a good combo when used REACTIVITY but resto druid excels in PREEMPTIVE healing with pre hotting the group so you dont fall behind in heals. Having a rejuv on each target at all times and then using abundance to pick up those who fall behind in big aoe dmg ranges which also having the ability to place a second rejuv in between wild growth windows is much better PLAYER SKILL HEALING. Keep in mind as well that having a rejuv on the party improves your wild growths healing due to mastery so our wild growths will already be 10% stronger without having to cast a global in swiftmend to get a stronger heal. As you get up in higher keys, every amount of DPS you can do to help get mobs and bosses down is stupidly important. I've watched a resto druid do a +30 key in legion and spent most of his time spamming wrath while the whole group was hotted and regrowth sniped when needed.

The talent choice you are choosing now is fine as mythics are not that hard. If you plan on going higher in keys you will need to learn to use preemptive heals more than reaction heals.

Quote Originally Posted by Shifterstorm View Post
    Rejuv is our most mana efficient spell we have. Putting 5 rejuvs on the party is like 10% of our mana? which you will gain back basically over the same time you placed them out. The most important difference between your twos argument is the difference between preemptive healing and reactive healing. Sure Prosperity and soul of the forest is a good combo when used REACTIVITY but resto druid excels in PREEMPTIVE healing with pre hotting the group so you dont fall behind in heals. Having a rejuv on each target at all times and then using abundance to pick up those who fall behind in big aoe dmg ranges which also having the ability to place a second rejuv in between wild growth windows is much better PLAYER SKILL HEALING. Keep in mind as well that having a rejuv on the party improves your wild growths healing due to mastery so our wild growths will already be 10% stronger without having to cast a global in swiftmend to get a stronger heal. As you get up in higher keys, every amount of DPS you can do to help get mobs and bosses down is stupidly important. I've watched a resto druid do a +30 key in legion and spent most of his time spamming wrath while the whole group was hotted and regrowth sniped when needed.

The talent choice you are choosing now is fine as mythics are not that hard. If you plan on going higher in keys you will need to learn to use preemptive heals more than reaction heals.
    I don't need to learn to heal preemptively as I already know how to do that. Having to cast rejuvs and maintain them in 5 people is costly, don't try to pretend it isn't. And rotating 5 rejuvs is not knowing how to heal preemtively... That is the way people who do not know damage patterns do it. And what is keeping you from casting the 5 rejuvenations even with my current talent choice? I have higher burst than you do unless u go tree form which has a huge CD. I also deal more dps than you because I don't need to use so many GCDs refreshing rejuvs and spamming regrowths.

Drop the "you need to learn" attitude because I have raided in top 100 guilds. Pretty sure I know how to cast a Rejuvenation when I know someone is about to get hit or has a debuff.