Why can Nightborne players be Warlocks?

Excuse me if this was explained, I didn't play through the entirety of Legion so I may have missed something but why can we choose to be Nightborne warlocks?

Weren't the Nightborne held captive by the legion which caused the whole rebellion thing? It seems kinda bizarre to me. Not to mention they used to be Night Elves & Night Elves can't be warlocks.

Because judging by their faction choice they lack learning comprehension.

Warlocks are trained in dangerous and forbidden magic. That doesn't mean they are evil or working for the Legion just because they draw power from the same elemental forces.

Fel magic is taboo in Night Elf society. The current night elves worship Elune, the moon goddess, and they view any magic that does not originate from her as a blasphemy against nature. Only recently have they started allowing arcane mages/highborne in society, and they are second class citizens kept around only for their usefulness.

Kaldorei warlocks split from the Night Elves along with the High elves and the Nightborne. Much like blood elves permit warlocks in their society, the Nightborne do as well. Thalyssra knows the player Nightborne personally and trusts them not to be an agent of the Legion. In lore, the player Nightborne joined the fight against Gul'dan and Elisande rather than siding with them.
    Last edited by Danvash; 2018-08-23 at 07:17 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's a Fight Fire with Fire thing. They are a nation with many scholars, and curiosity would soon bring some Fel sorcery back. Making it official reduces the risk of Demonic invasions.

Ruling over your former slavers has been a Warlock thing for a long time. Orc Warlocks anyone?

Wait? So every player, who is a Warlock is an agent for the Legion?

That doesn't make any sense!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    They Proabbly saw fel and thought it looked cool but didn’t want to serve the legion. I wonder if they will become felbourn if they use it long enough or use to much though.

nightborne are an evil race, which is why they joined the horde. makes sense they can be warlocks.

Same reason Horde and Alliance allow Demon Hunters among their ranks, really.

Just as Void Elves can be in control of the void magic/whispers and be able to harness that power, Warlocks and Demon Hunters can deal with Fel Magic without being consumed in the process.

The Legion actually lived among them, so it's only natural some of them found a way to control this kind of power.

Also, it would be hard to actually compare them to Night Elves, there's a reason Tyrande despise them. Their cultures have been split for way too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Danvash View Post
    Warlocks are trained in dangerous and forbidden magic. That doesn't mean they are evil
    As a warlock player since Vanilla.. gonna disagree with you here. All warlocks - every single one, is unequivocally evil. Totally, unrepentantly evil. They sacrifice living, intelligent beings for their souls and bargain in souls, blood, and death.

As Warcraft is not D&D, it is still possible for evil people to be the protagonists. But that doesn't make them "good".

Theyre all evil. But that's OK. You can be evil and be on the right side in Warcraft.

or working for the Legion just because they draw power from the same elemental forces.
    This part is true.

Fel magic is taboo in Night Elf society. The current night elves worship Elune, the moon goddess, and they view any magic that does not originate from her as a blasphemy against nature. Only recently have they started allowing arcane mages/highborne in society, and they are second class citizens kept around only for their usefulness.

Kaldorei warlocks split from the Night Elves along with the High elves and the Nightborne. Much like blood elves permit warlocks in their society, the Nightborne do as well. Thalyssra knows the player Nightborne personally and trusts them not to be an agent of the Legion. In lore, the player Nightborne joined the fight against Gul'dan and Elisande rather than siding with them.
    This.

probably because the art of dealing with demons has been ingrained in their culture over the past millenia and getting out from under ellisande isn't going to change that just yet.

Why can Nightborne be priests, when they have no connection to Elune, the Light or the Void? Because they already have very few classes available to them and Blizzard just threw some others on top that they themselves did not care about.

It's just that. In the Lore, Nightborne should probably only be allowed to be Warriors, Mages, Rogues and Hunters. But that's 4 classes....and not the 4 most popular, either. So they just added some that made no sense. There is no more logic to it.

Edit:
    To the posts saying Thalyssra's Nightborne would accept warlocks into their ranks now....no, i don't agree. During the entire Suramar campaign she told us again, again and again how DISGUSTED she is with demons and anybody who allies with them gets terminated by the player. I have a very hard time imagining this Thalyssra accepting Warlocks into her liberated city.
    Last edited by Nathasil; 2018-08-24 at 04:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why can't the emo elves be the emo class? Did you seriously just ask that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Presumably some of the Felborne (or just those who dabbled in Fel magic) fell in behind Thalyssra's coup when it escalated into an all-out attack on Suramar City. Fel magic is powerful and they would make potent allies, and given Thalyssra's already long odds toppling Elisande's regime it isn't like she could afford to say no to allies, even if they did practice Fel magic.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead