Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Anyone else not playing Overwatch simply because it's role-based?

I like how Overwatch looks, the speed of the gameplay and the characters are fun too.
    Sadly, I absolutely hate role-based gameplay in shooters.

If Overwatch was just log in, join a match and just shoot people in the face until you're bored like in CoD games, I would possibly play the hell out of it.

Anyone else in the same boat?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm the opposite, I can't stand playing traditional shooters online but I can quite enjoy Overwatch simply because all of the different roles and abilities mean I can hop into some characters with non-conventional playstyles and still contribute in different ways. Ways which aren't just aim+shoot better and faster than others.
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

Role based shooters are more tactical (in the vein of "Rock/Paper/Scissors" ) than mere shooters like CoD. I enjoy it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I like how Overwatch looks, the speed of the gameplay and the characters are fun too.
    Sadly, I absolutely hate role-based gameplay in shooters.

If Overwatch was just log in, join a match and just shoot people in the face until you're bored like in CoD games, I would possibly play the hell out of it.

Anyone else in the same boat?
    What you said about the way you wish you could play the game is how I actually play the game. What's stopping you from just launching the game and joining a few matches as Pharah or any of the other DPS role characters? You don't have to play any role you don't want to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    What you said about the way you wish you could play the game is how I actually play the game. What's stopping you from just launching the game and joining a few matches as Pharah or any of the other DPS role characters? You don't have to play any role you don't want to.
    But aren't you still depended on the roles though? Especially if your opponents do have people that fulfil them?

I doubt the experience would be optimal, or even feel rewarding. Kinda like a BG in WoW where one side has more healers and plays as a team, while you run around trying to 1v1 people.

But aren't you still depended on the roles though? Especially if your opponents do have people that fulfil them?

I doubt the experience would be optimal, or even feel rewarding. Kinda like a BG in WoW where one side has more healers and plays as a team, while you run around trying to 1v1 people.
    I guess it depends on your mindset while playing. Personally, I don't play very often but when I do I just join a few quick matches for mindless fun. Sometimes if there's a role that's missing I'll fill it but only if I can play the hero that I enjoy. I never got into the competitive scene because it just never appealed to me.

More or less. I prefer shooters where everyone is the same off spawn but those seem to be a dying breed.

i play very very casually, b.c i don't have the time to "git gud" at a fps shooter these days. I have enjoyed it more since switching to support roles, namely heals. My beef is that they whole back ground story of OW is OW vs the bad guys.. yet in game this doesn't matter at all.... I wish there was a mode that divided the characters you could play buy good vs bad.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

it is not a tactical shooter in a sense that ur positioning/movement and crosshair skills makes the all the difference and thats why i precisely avoid it. cs go is the only proper tactical shooter in the market imo.
    the
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2018-09-01 at 07:13 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    More or less. I prefer shooters where everyone is the same off spawn but those seem to be a dying breed.
    Which is why I played the crap out of Unreal Tournament. Instagib ftw. Pure skill wins, not this rock, paper, scissors shooter.

I don't play overwatch because it's just another generic online multiplayer shooter and I played enought CS/UT/QA in the 90's and 2k's to last me a live time and then some. The only thing about overwatch that would intrigue me is the story bits and you get none of them ingame as far as I know so there is really no point in wasting my time playing it.

That's exactly why I prefer Overwatch over other shooters. Forces players to try to work together instead of everybody doing their own thing (though some players do that anyways...).

I understand your reasoning though, and sometimes I feel the same way.

This is how I play the game whenever I play it (have too much other stuff to play these days and not enough free time).

I usually jump into arcade and do one of the 3v3's or something and just do whatever I feel like doing.

I guess if you want to take the game more seriously and get into ranked then yeah you have to take the roles more seriously and coordinate more. But even then, a lot of what you'll be doing is just shooting people in the face... just in an organized fashion.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

7+ Year Old Account
    I like the world of Overwatch. Shame the game is trash.

I'm not playing it because.

1) Lootbox's.
    2) No real progression
    3) Being forced into roles
    4) No actual story ingame.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

5+ Year Old Account
    My problem with Overwatch is that it lacks a lot of features Team Fortress 2 has. No custom maps, no custom servers, means you're limited to what Blizzard puts out. I played OverWatch for 3 months and reached Platinum and stopped cause it became too farmy and I don't play to farm. Also they're running into the same problem like with WoW in that they're adding too many new characters that you have to learn to deal with. Team Fortress 2 has the same lovable characters since forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there any particular reason you created this in the Video Games section instead of the, you know, OVERWATCH section?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ooid View Post
    I like the world of Overwatch. Shame the game is trash.
    Boom, and....

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I'm not playing it because.

1) Lootbox's.
    2) No real progression
    3) Being forced into roles
    4) No actual story ingame.
    Double boom!

All of that wasted lore made for a fucking shitty team based arena shooter.

A Borderlands rpg style open world with the arena multiplayer would have gotten me to play.

Not playing it because its a shitty game. Repetive as fuck with no progress. Other than a meaningless level and rank. And the game is riddled with toxic shits. Its worse than lol and blizzard is doing nothing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Is there any particular reason you created this in the Video Games section instead of the, you know, OVERWATCH section?
    I'm sure alot of people that don't play overwatch regularily browse the overwatch section.