Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Unhappy Chimera Shot and pulling aggro in dungeons (The Motherload specifically)

As most players are already using short cuts/wall running to avoid trash in dungeons, I'm finding it hard to avoid accidental pulls with chimera shot.

The Motherload! has been the only dungeon I've had this problem in as mobs are so close due to how narrow it is. I've tried focusing on positioning in the back but its hard when the tank is running one sidewall to avoid whats in the center and chimera shot still hits our target and one from another mob a distance away.

I did one run without using it and my dps sufferred. Any suggestions?

You can often Feign Death quickly and the mob will just run back since no one else has threat on it yet.

I haven't had this happen to me, and I don't know exactly how Chimaera Shot chooses its second target, but I'm currently assuming that it will only jump to a new target when it has to. So if you're already pulling more than one mob, it should hit the closest enemy, which is already in combat. So perhaps not throwing chimaera shot if you're only engaging one target. I'm not completely sure if this is correct.

pfftt... i rather...

WTB CHIMERA SHOT NOT PULLING NEUTRAL MOBS.

like ...just.../facepalm

Chimera shot works more like an aoe than you would initially assume. It has the ability to cleave a seconday target that is (i think about 10 yards) away from your primary target. This is regardless of how close you are to your primary target (it dosen't have a shorter radius just because you are standing very close to your primary target.) In my head I just picture about a 10 yard aoe circle around my primary target, knowing that it can hit something about 10 yards away if there is not a second eligible target to hit that is closer, and if there is only one single eligible target within that 10 yard range, only one target will be hit.

I keep usig the word "eligible target" for a reason. Currently things like totems and explosive in mythic plus, or anything that is immune to aoe for that matter, cannot be hit by chimeara shot, even if it was your primary target. I dont know if this is actually intended, or just a side effect of the way chimaera shot is programed to function.

But like I said chimaera shot is much more of an aeo spell than you might expect.
    Last edited by last1214; 2018-08-30 at 04:17 PM.

One of the reasons i've always tried to avoid Barrage. But i've yet to have the issue with Chimera Shot.

I still use Barrage together with Chimaera Shot, let's say I have to be very creative in positioning myself :P

Quote Originally Posted by Khallid View Post
    You can often Feign Death quickly and the mob will just run back since no one else has threat on it yet.

I haven't had this happen to me, and I don't know exactly how Chimaera Shot chooses its second target, but I'm currently assuming that it will only jump to a new target when it has to. So if you're already pulling more than one mob, it should hit the closest enemy, which is already in combat. So perhaps not throwing chimaera shot if you're only engaging one target. I'm not completely sure if this is correct.
    You can pull 2 or 3 mobs and Chimera Shot will still target a yellow mob who isn't in combat.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    You can pull 2 or 3 mobs and Chimera Shot will still target a yellow mob who isn't in combat.
    That sucks =/

Does anyone know exactly how big is the cleaving range of Chimaera Shot? If it works like last1214 said, I think I've seen it jump more than 10 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Khallid View Post
    That sucks =/

Does anyone know exactly how big is the cleaving range of Chimaera Shot? If it works like last1214 said, I think I've seen it jump more than 10 yards.
    I've definitely seen it go more than 10 yards.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

So true.

My main issue in motherlode was the big robot patrol in the center the tank was trying to avoid. But the yellows were a pain.

Deleted
    I have way more problems with beastcleave/stomp pulling stuff through walls, ceilings and floors.

haven't noticed anything with CS yet.

I've definitely seen it go more than 10 yards.
    I've lost count of the times I've seen the extra shot fly off at 90 degrees and pull something completely random that was way further than 10 yards. It's such a fucking liability sometimes, you have to be so careful with it.

7+ Year Old Account
    As a boomkin i know this problem all too well, all my abilities have a cleave to additional targets is a 10yrd range, the struggle is real.

Was doing an Underrot and the second platform at the beginning, I had cc'd a mob on the left. A couple of mobs were being tanked on the right and I shot a chimaera. Instead of the second shot going for.. ya know... ONE OF THE TANKED MOBS, it hit the trapped target.

The AI of Chim shot is just as bad as pet pathing.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've never had an issue with pulling the wrong stuff with Chimaera Shot and I don't go out of my way to make sure I don't. Not sure what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dottywotty View Post
    I've never had an issue with pulling the wrong stuff with Chimaera Shot and I don't go out of my way to make sure I don't. Not sure what you're doing.
    Why assume the blame falls on the player? Look at the examples provided. I mean I shot into a crowd of tanked mobs and it went for the ccd one out of the pack. HOW IS THAT PLAYER FAULT?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koochulu View Post
    Why assume the blame falls on the player? Look at the examples provided. I mean I shot into a crowd of tanked mobs and it went for the ccd one out of the pack. HOW IS THAT PLAYER FAULT?!
    I've had many instances out in the world of CS breaking a trap, pulling something 10-15 yards away, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dottywotty View Post
    And you've probably never been struck by lightning either, but that doesn't bring much comfort/help to the people that have.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koochulu View Post
    I do the same all the time, never had a problem. Then again, I don't usually use Chimaera Shot on the target closest to the CC target, thats just asking for trouble. Also if the tank stays close to the CC target, that again is asking for trouble.

Not a hunter myself,I'm a tank

But I can confirm I saw a shot going 90° from a hunter to pull something completely out of the way,we had the issue a few times in Tol Dagor where chimera shot would go out of its way to pull a CCed infested mob