Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Best/Worst Tanks?

What's shaping up to be the best and worst tanks and why?

7+ Year Old Account
    My 2c. Avoid wars and bears atm.

The other 4 are good. Blood and monk probably have dh and pal beat atm but ive heard dh scales amazingly so id watch out for them once they have access to 370+ gear to compete with dks and monks for best tank.

Blood DK feels strong while leveling and dungeon tanking.

10+ Year Old Account
    With azerite traits my DH is starting to feel amazing. Two in the trait that gives armor with immo aura, one for sigil cycling, and then spikes, brand, and meta. Moves things along quite well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Blood and BRM are very strong right now. VDH will shoot up with more gear.

As a healer, I've noticed that Monks are taking the apocalypse in terms of damage, they're being literally obliterated by everything. Blood too, but at least they heal themselves by a fuckton. Dunno if I've just been unlucky with my PUG tanks but that's the overall feeling I have for the moment.

Vengeance DH are probably the easiest to maintain.

Didn't see many bears for the moment. Prots are mitigated, sometimes that's a nightmare, sometimes smooth af.

Good tank > Bad tank

Have seen a larger difference between players than with classes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by szandos View Post
    Good tank > Bad tank

Have seen a larger difference between players than with classes.
    This. Same for any role btw.

On topic: I'm having a blast in dungeons as a Vengeance DH. Really strong for this type of content (Sigil of Silence is my best friend).

Blood DKs, Prot Pallies, and Prot Warriors.

Not because of anything they can do tank wise, it's just they can share gear with my holy pally if they don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Blood DKs, Prot Pallies, and Prot Warriors.

Not because of anything they can do tank wise, it's just they can share gear with my holy pally if they don't need it.
    Best reason yet.

My prot pally feels amazing now that i got some gear. Massive aoe dmg and the self heal is surprisingly good

mythic normal dungeons are so easy it's hard to say which tank is best atm. Wait a few weeks until m+ opens and we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanitee View Post
    Best reason yet.

My prot pally feels amazing now that i got some gear. Massive aoe dmg and the self heal is surprisingly good
    It feels like I don't need a healer as a Prot Pala at 341. Half the time the groups will wipe to a mechanic and I'll just revert to MoP Protadin levels of survival and solo it.

Deleted
    As a Guardian druid I must say the class feels squishy. We have a bit more hp which is rightfully needed, as with most groups they won't use their CC effectively in a pug so most Mythic+0 trash packs almost annihilate me all the time.

Aggro as a Guardian now at least initially is a concern, that first thrash / swipe isn't enough usually to maintain aggro for other dps classes with good AoE, once I have the second/third thrash applied aggro becomes more sustainable.

A lot of incoming damage is spells so apart from Barkskin we have very little to mitigate that incoming damage so we drop at a steady pace but often. Definitely feels like we aren't that good in comparison to others but the content is still doable with a Guardian druid.

Prot warrior seems fine to me but honestly, I can never tell if the problem is with me or the healer. At the very least I rarely wipe in heroics unless there is some mechanic catches us off guard.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Prot warrior seems fine to me but honestly, I can never tell if the problem is with me or the healer. At the very least I rarely wipe in heroics unless there is some mechanic catches us off guard.
    The prot warrior doesn't suck, but it just feels SO clunky now that IP is on the GCD :/

Quote Originally Posted by Sanitee View Post
    The prot warrior doesn't suck, but it just feels SO clunky now that IP is on the GCD :/
    I can't get accustomed to this as well. Will be okay in raids, but it's reeeeaally weird in 5 mans where you will compete for speed, sharing ressources was enough imho, sharing ressources AND GCDs feels really off.

As a healer I completely dislike Blood DKs. Their self healing is enormous but their massive HP drops within half a second give me little heart attacks every time. I very much like Druids and Paladins though, seem to be able to deal with high damage the best.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by pppbroom View Post
    I started tanking as BRM and the more you gear up, the easier it gets, in the beginning though it's very very bad.
    Same on my DH. I feel less squishy now with some mythic gear than before.
    I don't know how the other tanks are, but every trash feel like a raid boss and the actual boss feels like trash (with some exception)...

Implying equal skill levels

For raids I'd say Monk>Bear>DK>Paladin>Warrior>DH
    For dungeons DK=DH>Monk>Paladin>Bear>Warrior

Of course,unless you're pushing bleeding edge top 1% content,pick a good tank player over a good tank class,it'll pay off way more in the end,if you're the tank player,take something you'll enjoy playing,you'll end up playing it better than a tank you don't enjoy (except for bears due to how mind numbingly easy to play they are)

From a healer perspective, my best runs have been with DKs/DHs/Prot Pals. Warriors have seemed ok as well, but I'm really not feeling monks atm. Every time I group with one I know I'm going to have to be spamming them a lot more than I do with any of the other classes. Part of this could certainly be tank skill level, but for what it's worth that's been my experience so far.