Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Without Danny Rand then there shouldn't be a reason for this show to exist.
    Well, except that it's a title and a power passed on from person to person. Minor detail, that.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem isn't that Danny Rand is white, the problem is how awful his character is. Danny was a whiny idiot throughout the entirety of season 1, he was less whiny but still very stupid in The Defenders. He isn't likeable, he is emotionally unstable, and he is a moron.

I have yet to watch season 2 of Iron Fist, but based on this thread I can expect I'll enjoy it more than season 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    The problem isn't that Danny Rand is white, the problem is how awful his character is. Danny was a whiny idiot throughout the entirety of season 1, he was less whiny but still very stupid in The Defenders. He isn't likeable, he is emotionally unstable, and he is a moron.
    Difficult to argue this point. In Defenders, you would think there would be character growth, transitioning from the traumatized boy, to an adult who finds out the people he thought he loved were mere thugs, meets the girl of his life, finds and defines his inner-self and that makes him stronger as a person. Not counting his Chi becomes more focused as well.

Hope Season 2 changes that. I am yet to start watching. Just finished Quantico Season 3. About to start Iron Fist Season 2. They really need to stir away from the personality he had in Season 1. And he needs to have intense coreographied fight scenes like in Daredevil. He is supposed to be the Iron Fist. Master of martial arts. Not be subpar in action compared to Daredevil. Use the Iron Fist punch more often too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tietoso View Post
    a bunch of alt-right garbage
    Oh? Have they JUST started doing it? I'm sure you think Thor is and has only ever been a blonde haired, blue eyed, chiseled white dude right? Well...

Thor has also been a random ginger, a weird horse-alien thing, a woman (and it was a damn good story, shame you autists couldn't enjoy it because MUH FEMINAZIS), and that's just in the MAIN continuity. In alternate continuities, Thor has been: a black man, every member of the Fantastic Four, and even a literal fucking FROG.

You're probably one of those idiots that claims the MCU "made Nick Fury black", completely oblivious to the fact Ultimate Nick Fury not only has always been black, he was MODELED on Samuel L. Jackson, with the actors blessing.
    Last edited by Priestiality; 2018-09-10 at 07:30 AM.
    ☭Politics Understander and Haver of Good Takes☭Posting Is A Human Right☭
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    If I was in his boots (and forced to join the SS in 1939 or whenever he joined), I would have tried to liberate the camp myself or die trying. He did not. He traded his life for the life of thousands of people, thus he should face the consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rathwirt View Post
    I finished season 2 a couple days ago. I didn't like the first season much but I have to agree season 2 is much better. Even Danny Rand's actor got better sometimes. I like the way they went with Davos, although I'm not really sure why he decided to try to purge the Triads so hard after he stole the Iron Fist. You'd think a traditionalist like that would have tried to revive Kun Lun or something.
    I was under the impression that he was going to try and purge New York and rebuild it in Kun'Lun's image, hence his recruiting and training the teens. The thing is, I don't think they made it clear enough that his is a doomed cause. With the Iron Fist, yes, he's a powerful fighter and in a world without guns he would be a force to be reckoned with, but this is modern America. Unless the Iron Fist is bulletproof like Luke Cage is (and I'm 99.5% sure that he's not), then the second someone with decent aim pulls out a gun (you know, like Walker towards the end, or Frank Castle, or the cops...), he's dead. I get the sense that the "urgency" was more to try and redeem Davos before the police put him down, but they spent too much time trying to make him seem menacing and evil than sympathetic to do that. The minute he killed the restaurant owner, he crossed the line and he became a rabid dog fit only to be put down.

Towards the end, when Danny uses his chi to power guns and shoot a bullet mid-air (that was kind of awesome), that's when the possibilities of modernizing the Iron Fist become interesting and exciting, but Davos really was just lucky that no one pulled a gun on him and shot him in the head. I thought that one Triad guy towards the end was going to do exactly that, but for some absolutely, laughably ridiculous reason, he just liked to keep hatchets in vest holsters instead of guns like an actual modern criminal thug would.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post

I have yet to watch season 2 of Iron Fist, but based on this thread I can expect I'll enjoy it more than season 1.
    That's one thing I can positively say about Danny Rand, is that he does show much growth in this season. He's more calm, level-headed and mature than when we saw him in S1 and Defenders. The few times when he does act angry and irrational is plausibly explained (it's strongly implied that the power of the dragon that gives him the Iron Fist invokes anger and can be corrupting). His relationship with Coleen is also very well written. They complement and support each other very well, and you can tell that their bond and relationship is very strong and healthy.
    Last edited by jimboa24; 2018-09-10 at 01:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Priestiality View Post
    a weird horse-alien thing
    Jjjjjuuusssstttt got to correct you there. Bill was never actually Thor. He has similar powers because he won a duel against Thor (although he had a bit of an edge) and as a reward Odin forged him his own hammer. I believe he HAS used Mjolnir a few times, but he's never actually BECOME Thor.

Also, you forgot Eric Masterson, who went on to become Thunderstrike, and was terrible.

Finally, Throg isn't Thor either. He's a dude who helped Thor out, while Thor was transformed into a Frog by Loki and after that bizarre nonsense was concluded he got a fragment of Mjolnir and forged it into his own hammer, named *sigh* Frogjolnir. Also, his real name is "Simon Walterson" which is equal parts hilarious and lame.

So, while I agree on your general point, 2/3 of your examples are... kinda wrong.

Also, FosThor was excellent and anyone that says otherwise will be SMOTE.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Jjjjjuuusssstttt got to correct you there. Bill was never actually Thor. He has similar powers because he won a duel against Thor (although he had a bit of an edge) and as a reward Odin forged him his own hammer. I believe he HAS used Mjolnir a few times, but he's never actually BECOME Thor.

Also, you forgot Eric Masterson, who went on to become Thunderstrike, and was terrible.

Finally, Throg isn't Thor either. He's a dude who helped Thor out, while Thor was transformed into a Frog by Loki and after that bizarre nonsense was concluded he got a fragment of Mjolnir and forged it into his own hammer, named *sigh* Frogjolnir. Also, his real name is "Simon Walterson" which is equal parts hilarious and lame.

So, while I agree on your general point, 2/3 of your examples are... kinda wrong.

Also, FosThor was excellent and anyone that says otherwise will be SMOTE.
    He was named for Walter Simonson, creator of Beta Ray Bill among others.
    ☭Politics Understander and Haver of Good Takes☭Posting Is A Human Right☭
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    If I was in his boots (and forced to join the SS in 1939 or whenever he joined), I would have tried to liberate the camp myself or die trying. He did not. He traded his life for the life of thousands of people, thus he should face the consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    It is really stupid that characters are changing race. It's also stupid that most heroes are white men. This isn't the solution though.
    Its stupid but I'd bet its also a myth that "most heroes are white men"

Pretty obvious OP didn't watch the last episode, or he'd realize this whine is a complete nothingburger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Priestiality View Post
    He was named for Walter Simonson, creator of Beta Ray Bill among others.
    I know, that's why it's equal parts hilarious and lame. On one hand, it's a funny shout out to a guy that many consider to hav written THE iconic Thor run... but on the flip side... Come on man, Simon Walterson. I excepted better.

That said: Aaron >> Simonson. Prove me wrong. Simonson created a solid bedrock, but Aaron took everything he did, and expanded on it, took it to new, bolder, more captivating places.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Simonson created a solid bedrock, but Aaron took everything he did, and expanded on it, took it to new, bolder, more captivating places.
    The only thing that captivated me about FosThor's run was the question of "how did Aaron go from such a strong run on God of Thunder to such a bland and uninteresting storyline here?". It wasn't Jane being Thor that was the problem(cause Unworthy Thor had Odinson in it, and it was rather boring too), it was just such a boring run with totally uninspired, forgettable, and bland writing. Are you seriously calling that run more captivating than Simonson's? I guess it was bold sure, but then again, a metal band saying "fuck drums, we're gonna have our drummer beating on a fucking trashcan and a steel chair on our new album!" would be a bold decision too...but it wouldn't make it good.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is really stupid that characters are changing race. It's also stupid that most heroes are white men. This isn't the solution though.
    Not stupid at all. These comics were developed and published primarily in the US, where the majority of people were white. It only made sense (at that time) to have heroes look like the target audience.

As to the majority of them being men, that is just a reflection of reality. Take a look at this picture and honestly tell me if you could switch the sexes around and still have a believable picture?
    Last edited by Scathbais; 2018-09-10 at 02:03 PM. Reason: grammar
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Deleted
    Normally I don't give a fuck about re-racing of characters, unless it's important to their character', but the iron fist one confuses me. Surely if you make Danny Rand into an oriental actor your just making a ethnic stereotype. An Asian karate master who just spouts eastern philosophy?

That said iron fist is tolerable in Luke Cage so they should just stop iron fist and just make heroes for hire

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate the last episode where they just completely skip over the last living iron fist training Danny to use both fists and project chi to his guns. Season three better go into his training with Orson Randall.

And how the hell did a member of the hand get a fist?

Overall, I did like this season, and the fighting was a major step up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    but then again, a metal band saying "fuck drums, we're gonna have our drummer beating on a fucking trashcan and a steel chair on our new album!" would be a bold decision too...but it wouldn't make it good.
    Stomp would like a word.

And yeah, I think Aaron's God of Thunder run is the best arc Thor has ever had. It's effects are still being felt today, nearly 5 years after it came. Can't ask for more than that!

The FosThor era wasn't as good, but it still had some excellent arcs. War Thor was amazing, Asgard/Shi'ar war was great, and Death of Mighty Thor was a solid end to her run. I would have prefered if they'd killed her off... But I can see why they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    Its stupid but I'd bet its also a myth that "most heroes are white men"
    In American media, it's not. There are a lot of different reference points. I made an assumption.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    Not stupid at all. These comics were developed and published primarily in the US, where the majority of people were white. It only made sense (at that time) to have heroes look like the target audience.

As to the majority of them being men, that is just a reflection of reality. Take a look at this picture and honestly tell me if you could switch the sexes around and still have a believable picture?
    It's the typical 'what's for dinner' question with 2 wolves and a sheep. Of course these outlets are going for the biggest target audience. Instead of stupid, I should have said unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Because that was the entire point of the character of Iron Fist. That he was a privileged white kid who ends up being raised by monks in a secret hidden village where he trains to be the greatest martial artist alive. That contrast of a white guy with kung-fu powers is the very basis of the whole comic. If it was just about an asian kid who grew up to be the strongest martial artist while it would make more sense, it wouldn't have been nearly as interesting.
    No, it wouldn't have been the Iron Fist from the comics.

I don't get what the big deal is, for me the only problem with the show is the fighting. We neeed more stuff like we see in Into the Badlands for the Iron Fist, and jedi-esque powers with a bit more acrobatics.

The actor gets the softer emotional side spot ont, if you wanna blame someone, blame the writers if you think the character is too whiney and not Zen enough, he is written like a modern 25 year old guy, i mean if youw ere 25 in the 80s, i bet you would be very different.

So he doesn't behave as someone that lived and trained in a temple most of his life...
    I agree that "Badlands" would have been a better sell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    The actor gets the softer emotional side spot ont, if you wanna blame someone, blame the writers if you think the character is too whiney and not Zen enough, he is written like a modern 25 year old guy, i mean if youw ere 25 in the 80s, i bet you would be very different.
    For me, the clearest indicator that it was more a writer problem than an actor problem was the simple fact that, so far, the best episode of Iron Fist we've had, the one which REALLY nailed his "Zen Badass" attitude was... his cameo in Luke Cage. If we'd had a whole season of THAT guy, kicking ass, keeping cool and trying to combat Davos, who is his unbalanced, hyper aggressive polar opposite, we would have had a fucking SHOW.

But instead, we got a mopey little dickhead, who lost his powers 4 episodes in, and decided that they make him a bit angry, so he should get rid of them... Which considering the source of Iron Fists powers is from his balance, is laughably shit writing.

that's because most consumers and writers also are white males?

it's not rocket science dude.